Can-Am Maverick Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Strongly disagree. 20 years in aviation, crimps fail far more frequently than a properly done solder joint. Not even a debate really. What’s good enough for aviation in the harshest conditions is good enough for my X3.

That said, I use environmental crimps with heat sleeves weekly when repairing these 25 year old 767’s Amazon beats the piss out of it. Soldering in that case is far too time consuming and I’m pretty good with a crimper. Still, soldering over crimping when you have the time and equally as good at either.
Interesting perspective. I didn't go until detail as I expected plenty of debate. I'm definitely not pretending to know it all. But I take this opinion from aerospace design experience.

The logic is that with stranded wire, the solder joints create sharp spikes of solder in between the copper strands. From there, any flexing of the solder joint can quickly work harden and break the copper strands. Satellite manufacturers I've worked with have primarily required proper crimping over soldering.

If your solder joint is very well restrained then you may get away with it. But i stand by my opinion, while respecting yours and your experience.

·
Registered
193 Posts
A couple of good things sort of.

Cancelled my order for TLS because I popped in a new rear axle and turned out my S3 kit already had the TLS installed, bonus!

Also gauge and fittings recently arrived so I built up a 15psi pressure gauge setup to use with my old mityvac, to dial in my crack pressure for my tune. I had done it conservatively because I was using a rigged up tire pressure gauge. Turns out the TPG was reading 1psi lower than the 15psi guage, plus was being conservative, so I went from 4psi to 8psi, so should scoot even better now, wow. And that's just for pump gas. Now with this gauge setup I can fairly confidently boost/tune it up for stage 4 by mixing pump with race fuel I just bought to get 100 octane, woot!

Maybe If I'm lucky this weekend I'll get a chance to line up with my buddy to compare to his ? tune to my stage 4 :-D

·
Registered
193 Posts
Lower end used Ferrari's are surprisingly "affordable". Can you give us a ball park on your build?
I believe it. Back around 2015 I bought a very nice condition 10 year old Benz S500, invoice was in the glove box, was 87k new, I bought it for 11k. I imagine similar to any exotic car, great deal until you need to start replacing parts haha. Luckily my S500 got totaled by heavy rain in my driveway lol true story, how's that for quality.

What a great tow rig it was for my purposes though, 300hp AWD at 4500lbs, I always smoked my buddies with their heavy trailers haha.

Ps. Today I adjusted the outside door handle on my X3 driver's door, was so annoying, had to pull it way too far. Now perfect, sooooo niccccee!

·
Registered
193 Posts
View attachment 271118

There's how much more clay the wife got out of places with her hands and a scraper AFTER 2 hours of pressure washing lol.

Why anyone would by an X3 XMR is baffling to me lol.

X3 is the WORST machine to get clean of all time. The Maverick Sport is a 30 minute job at the worst of times.
You need to look at it as the glass being half full.

If you ride often and you need some fill on your property, you can kill two birds with one stone!

·
Registered
193 Posts
Not today, but Friday installed 8" Boss BT cage mounted speaker pods kit. It could use a subwoofer but still a very nice setup, very happy with it so far. Super easy to mount and setup, as being BT you don't need a head unit, just control it with my phone. I have a working plan to add a subwoofer too at some point, still shopping for components.

Definitely nice to share music with the passenger.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Final test fit then off to make a jig and get ready for production. View attachment 271683
I like it, doesn't take up some of the bed like my spare. I hope you don't end up burning a hole in the tire from the exhaust. One time I was using my pressure washer and didn't notice the exhaust was pointing at a nearby gas can. Somehow it melted a hole high up in the low filled gas can and didn't blow up haha. -Jay (outrunning Darwin since 1972)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts