Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im in the market for a new X3 and am trying to decide the best way to transport it to the trailhead after it is purchased. I have been looking at everything from racks/ramps for the bed of my truck to open and enclosed trailers to the possibility of picking up a toy hauler. What are you using?

·
Premium Member
8,062 Posts
an easy search would answer your questions

·
Registered
98 Posts
thats all you need

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thats all you need

Isn't there anything bigger?

·
Registered
898 Posts
If camping at a spot, then I tow my flat trailer behind my RV, but if it's a day trip, then it's just the trailer behind the Ram. I think the size I have is a 8x16' Ziemann with a dual axle and a wood deck.

·
Premium Member
10,077 Posts
As long as you have a moho or class c, you can't go wrong with an enclosed trailer. An enclosed trailer keeps your stuff out of the elements, and away from peering eyes. Buy bigger than you think you need. You'll use up that space fast.

·
Registered
71 Posts
i have an open trailer w/ a 18 ft. bed for my 2018 xrs but in hindsight would buy a 20 ft. enclosed . i also only buy dual axle trailers, i like 4 wheel brakes for stopping & a dual axle trailer tows much better.

·
Registered
898 Posts
I would get an enclosed trailer, for all the above reasons, the weather and security etc.. but I'm not sure if my motor home will tow it, I think mine says 5k gross for the tow weight, and the flat trailer fully loaded is around 4K already.
Mine is a 2010 Tioga Ranger at a total length of 33', with the Ford V10 on the E450 chassis.

X3 Max @ 1900# estimating
Trailer @ 1300#
40 gallons water at 400#
Kids quad @ 150#
25 gallons of extra gas @ 160#
Chairs, tables, tools @ 120# etc etc etc

·
Registered
639 Posts
I use a 16' car trailer that doubles as my bobcat trailer for work for day trips or overnight camping trips where we tent camp out of the x3

I have a 7x14 (wish is was 8x14) enclosed trailer for over night or two night stays or long hauls where I need to stay in a hotel and dont want my toys out in the open

Then I have a IGB28 attitude toy hauler for camping trips, dunes ect

If I could only have one it would be the enclosed trailer but oddly I use it the least

·
Registered
26 Posts
+2 on an enclosed trailer and motorhome. Tow mine on an open flat bed car trailer behind a motorhome and counting the days till I buy an enclosed. We do a lot of out of overnight and it will be nice to keep vehicles, tools, fuel... locked up. Can also use as extra garage/ storage space. Not hard to break into an enclosed, but a lot easier to break into an open trailer. I tow mine on a car trailer (96" wide) and it is easy on/ off with a 72" wide.

If buying a MH pay attention to the GCWR/ GVWR. Most (unless you buy a diesel or certain gassers with more towing capacity) when loaded with all your chit can tow ~5k max. With a steel enclosed at 18-20' you'll be over 3k with the trailer weight alone. Add it a sxs (2k for a max), tools, fuel, etc. and you are over 5k. And get 5k axles if going enclosed. The same 3500 lb trailer with 3.5k axles can hold its own weight in capacity.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have a 16' utility trailer for day trips and what not. But I'm getting a 18' or 20' enclosed trailer for longer trips and to store it in so I can free up some space in the garage.

·
Premium Member
2019 x3 Xds R
341 Posts
I’m just using a 12’ x 82” trailer with a ramp on it. Bought it for my x3. I have to 64” 2 door so it works out perfect. Buggy fits on the trailer with tracks on it plus room to move around it. With the tires on got room for coolers behind it, spare tire and gas can go underneath it. Trailers aluminum with electric brakes, pulls nice.

I got mine just for transport. Maybe in another 10 years I’ll look for something more along the lines of a portable home.

·
Registered
26 Posts
If I trailered anywhere I think I'd go the enclosed route. I have an enclosed trailer for my bass boat and while being bigger and pulling a bit harder the benefits outweigh the drawbacks. Security is number one and protection from the elements, including a rock thrown by the tow vehicle are worth the extra IMHO.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
that guy is a idiot
wtf is wrong with a trailer

1 - 20 of 54 Posts