Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this is a VERY broad question but what are the most popular wheel / tire upgrades for an X3? Right now I just have the stock (non beadlock) wheels with the stock 28" Bighorns. I have seen a number of people selling "new" stock beadlocks which get me another inch up to 29" for around $500 on CL and similar sites. Wondering if I should go that route or put the money into something nicer.
I am not looking for anything that will require spacers, clutch upgrades, ... just something a little bigger (that my stock machine (172hp) and clutch can easily handle) and that look nice. Post some pics you have them on your machine and if the forum rules allow it, let me know what ball park price I should expect to pay fpr them.

Are people upgrading both their rims AND tires? Or keeping the stock rims and just getting nicer tires?
Pretty much all my riding is on trails, so I am not looking for mudders or paddles - just something that looks bada$$ and performs well :)

·
Premium Member
2,142 Posts
You could do a search and read the tons and tons of threads on this very subject. Which 72” machine comes with 28 tires and non bead lock? 20 model xrs r?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2020 X3 XDS RR
39 Posts
I have a 2020 XDS RR and went with System 3 rims with a 5/2 off set so I could clear 32" tires. I bought the System # XTR 370 tires. They are a bit heavy but I like them. Rims and tires cost me about $1100. Eventually I will do some clutch work to mine.

Attachments

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You could do a search and read the tons and tons of threads on this very subject. Which 72” machine comes with 28 tires and non bead lock? 20 model xrs r?

64" - it is a 2017 base and has the Can Am engine upgrade on it

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have a 2020 XDS RR and went with System 3 rims with a 5/2 off set so I could clear 32" tires. I bought the System # XTR 370 tires. They are a bit heavy but I like them. Rims and tires cost me about $1100. Eventually I will do some clutch work to mine.
Those tires look huge!

·
Registered
71 Posts

15” system 3 wheels. 6/1 offset 7” wide. 33” system 3 370 tires. Should be a nasty combo for rocks and trail . Mostly ride tenn, Kentucky.

Same set up I went with. Very happy with this set so far. Same color too! Love the gray.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,142 Posts
I wasn’t sure about the gray when I bought em. But once I put them on I was like bam that’s the ticket. Lol

·
Registered
41 Posts
20200529_103023.jpg
15x7 5+2 ITP wheels and 32 SuperATV Warriors XT tires. The tires suck and I wouldn't recommend them to anybody.

·
Registered
74 Posts
System 3 15” with 5/2 offset with 32” blackwater evolution tires

·
Registered
46 Posts
I went with Methods MR405 with System 3 XM310 for mud and Did set of System 3s SB-4 with stock tires for local riding and trails. As soon as i wear these down ill be going with System 3 370 for trail tires

·
Registered
82 Posts
^JUSTA6, do you have a pic of the two different wheels together? Trying to see the shade differences in the bronze color between the manufactures. The S3 look to be darker or have more brown were the Methods appear to be more orange in them.

·
Registered
46 Posts
They are absolutely darker. I honestly prefer the Methods lighter bronze over the darker ones! I really went with the system 3 because of the custom service after my tire purchase. Top notch

·
Registered
147 Posts
Douglas Sector with 30 inch Tusk Terrabites.

Reactions: JUSTA6

·
Registered
92 Posts
Go with a 15 inch wheel and a 30-33 tall tire This an all around great set up - look out for the tire and wheel weights, you don’t want a heavy tire for desert riding.
I run a 15inch Douglas sector wheel with Tensor 35 DS tire, looking at system 3 rt320 In a 35inch for my max.

you didnt say what type of riding you do, so I only know The Desert type, sand dues you want a really light weight tire wheel, you can read for days about dune tires, desert tires you can read for weeks and weeks....

Reactions: Kulapp

·
Registered
12 Posts
the stock bighorns are a light weight tire. I tried som 30” liberty’s one my 64” R. The machine lost it’s quick responsive steering. I think the front rim and tire being skinnier than the back room and tire was also an issue. I bought some 29 inch Ceros by Maxxis on stock bead lock rims . I have not been able to take them out yet but they keep the same geometry as a stock wheels. It all depends on your driving style. I like getting in and out of corners quickly. The steering performance is important to me. But those who crawl, dune, or just poke round. Their needs would be different

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have 4+3 system 3 wheels with 32" mongrels wrapped around them. 2019 xds. No clearance issues whatsoever. I love the setup. The mongrels have a rounded profile which suits my driving style (looser around the corners). There is a difference in steering feel for sure but just bump the dps up to max if it bothers you. Personally I like feeling feedback so I can feel the stress of the car (stock parts are delicate 😥). There is a lot of talk about geometry with 4+3 wheels but since I'm not racing I don't have a problem. I prefer the extra width over the minimal difference in cornering.

If you want a more planted feel, find a tire that is square edged but be aware "catching" and edge is a lot easier (my brother has a square tire and different compound and there is a huge difference between the two profiles, at least of these two brands).

I only have a couple hundred miles on my mongrels but so far I like them. Good desert, good on rocks, good all around tire. Headed to some sand dunes soon so get to check them out there.

I also have stock xds beadlocks with like new 29" big horns if you wanna buy em 😜

·
Registered
3 Posts

15” system 3 wheels. 6/1 offset 7” wide. 33” system 3 370 tires. Should be a nasty combo for rocks and trail . Mostly ride tenn, Kentucky.

I have a completely stock 2019 X3 XMR Turbo R just like yours and was wondering if you had any rubbing issues with your wheel and tire set up? I was going to purchase the 33" XT370's with a different wheel option (SB5's) - would I need to change the offset to avoid rubbing issues (will the stock offset work?) and did you notice much power loss with these heavy tires/require a clutch kit? Thanks for your help with it, it's a lot of $$ and I don't want to make a mess of things. You said 6/1 offset 7" wide - does this mean you added 3.5 inches of width to each side? Maybe the 32" 370 tires would be a safer option if you did it over? Thanks again for your help!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts