Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

41 - 60 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
No clue what your talkin bout. Rec fuel???
edit: oops I see this was answered already.
REC-90 is an ethanol-free, 90 octane unleaded gasoline blend designed for use in recreational/marine engines which can be damaged by the ethanol found in other gasoline blends. It is also usable in some aviation engines [1] and automotive engines, though it has not been thoroughly tested for cars and trucks.

Unlike most stations in the plains states which carry ethanol-free 87 octane unleaded alongside 10% ethanol 87 octane unleaded, many states carry ethanol-free gasoline specifically marketed as recreational fuel designed for marine equipment and small engines.

Here is where wiki say's it's located.

·
Administrator
2,451 Posts
Great to know...I should have GTS as it does popup for recreational fuel...thanx...

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
All my small engines run on clear (non-eth) anymore. Otherwise carbs end up looking like this or rubber fuel lines disintegrated. Tired of cleaning and/or replacing them and of course it happens after sitting and find it at the first of the season or when you depend on your equipment operating and the shops are backed up 6 weeks. We as well always ran clear gas through race engines/fuel system after running Methanol/Alcohol before shutting down.
Ethanol effect.JPG

·
Premium Member
2019 x3 Xds R
465 Posts
last if your octane tester reads rec 89 at 95 throw it in the trash
I don’t actually do octane ratings. Just friends with marina owners and some delivery drivers. also stop and talk to the agricultural guy when I see him at the marina pumps. At least in my area if it say 89-91 no ethanol, that’s recreation fuel and everyone says the same thing, it tests at 93 min.
You can feel the difference running it. Not sure what the difference is on a stock buggy. Never put shit gas it it from the gas station.
My boss has a crap ton of boats I’m responsible for. Our 42 mti cat has 1350/1550’s in it. $200k per motor, tuned for 93. Ran it on 89 rec all last year. No issues.

Performance wise, if your not running ethanol free on some killer tune, your losing out on some easy power.
If you go to a 1/4 or 1/8 track, see what the guys that do it all the time run. E85, rec fuel, or 100 plus non ethanol, alcohol, 114.

·
Administrator
2,451 Posts
I just feel better running 92 clear in my buggy.....:rolleyes:
And will use the same after the WS170 install.
Pretty sure that's why I didn't recognize the abbreviation "rec"..we in the PNW are use to the word "clear" for the same level of fuel.

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
Pretty sure that's why I didn't recognize the abbreviation "rec"..we in the PNW are use to the word "clear" for the same level of fuel.
I noticed the VP station up here in Canby actually posts it as "non-ethanol" Premium which is nice so people understand. One time I was there filling up some jugs and said "I want these filled with clear" the new attendant looked at me in question so I had to clarify clear ...lol

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
Looks like predominately Michigan and Florida so recommending is basically useless for 99% of the people on this forum. Next...

REC-90 - Wikipedia
I'm sure non-eth 92 is more readily available in different states....
Here's a few in Cali
A
VP RACING FUELS
Gas station
Blythe, CA
Open ⋅ Closes 12AM · (760) 922-4435
DIRECTIONS

B
VP RACING
Gas station
Lomita, CA
Open now · (310) 534-1212
$2.90/Regular
DIRECTIONS

C
VP Racing Fuels
Gas station
Bellflower, CA
Open 24 hours · (562) 925-0871

·
Registered
2020 Maverick X3XRC Turbo
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Did they reopen Little Sahara. Is it like Dumont where you just park and camp or are there designated campsites? Does it get hot in June?

·
Premium Member
3,628 Posts
I'm just looking to have some fun and see.what some of these peoples cars can or can't do I guess..lotta talk about how bad ass theses tuners are so let's see it. We just have a stock car with stock Turbo Evo Tune on race gas. Nothing crazy just a regular guys car like everyone's car off the showroom floor.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
3rd week in August, no crowds, lot of Arizona / so cal guys come up for a week to get their summer dune fix. Most of us and myself are stock turbo, but some guys do have 300+ hp set ups

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
Well I installed the WS170 adjusted the crack pressure as needed but wondering if it's a bit overboard?
I did manage to get the RPM up to 7950-8000 at WOT 80 mph is all the road would handle with 14.5 lbs of boost.

edit: Looks like I should be at 17.5 boost which I understand is switchable.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Ok, so......Who has put a WS170 against a WS180 package? Is the WS180 worth the extra? Whalen is local to me so I prefer to use them.

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
Ok, so......Who has put a WS170 against a WS180 package? Is the WS180 worth the extra? Whalen is local to me so I prefer to use them.
I haven't reviewed a dyno however I would imagine with injector upgrade and boost to 18.5-19 you would add several more ponies.Plus you get a shirt which will make you feel like you're going faster!

434 Posts
Can't go wrong with John and Whalen tunes. The ME versions on the tunes are worth the extra cost, added wideband and tuning revisions to dial the tune specifically to the machine. Not many realize how different one can be from the next but I've seen it first hand on many machines, especially if your going to a larger injector.

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
Can't go wrong with John and Whalen tunes. The ME versions on the tunes are worth the extra cost, added wideband and tuning revisions to dial the tune specifically to the machine. Not many realize how different one can be from the next but I've seen it first hand on many machines, especially if your going to a larger injector.
Data log sent to John on the WS170. It came in with Boost hitting 16.4 or so. 103% IDC.
With some stronger octane he said can bump the boost and timing a little to give it a smidge more.
Guess I'm about maxed for the WS170. Yesterday's run was pretty impressive from stock.
I also added a vented catch can which might have helped per John's dyno testing with and without saying it added 4 additional HP.

Just want to say I'm extremely pleased with the customer support John and his staff provided.
Extremely courteous fast and thorough follow up by Whalen Speed.
The same applies to Trevor and Peak Offroad Performance.

41 - 60 of 61 Posts