Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Maverick X3XRC Turbo
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking about dropping some of my stimulus coin on a 91 octane tune. Which one of the tunes are better Whalen or EVO? They both look comparable and the price seems around the same. Thanks, D.

·
Premium Member
7,869 Posts
Whalen you buy the Dynojet PV3 that allows you to pull codes easily and it doubles as gauges. You can also put the tune back to stock anytime you want to.

EVO you have to send in your ECU and you are locked to that tune unless you ship the ECU back to them.

·
Registered
2020 Maverick X3XRC Turbo
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea I like the idea of being able to go back to stock and you can adjust the screens on the Whalen anyway you like. They make a cool looking mount for the Dynojet also. So many choices! D.

·
Registered
2020 Maverick X3 MAX XRS TURBO RR
315 Posts
I am thinking about dropping some of my stimulus coin on a 91 octane tune. Which one of the tunes are better Whalen or EVO? They both look comparable and the price seems around the same. Thanks, D.
Which mods do you have?? Don't forget about Aftermarket Assassins Tunes. They have some pretty impressive tunes if the gains are really what they say they are. For a stock machine you can run their stage 2 on 91 octane. If you get a full exhaust you can run their stage 3 on 91 octane. If you run 93 octane you can run stage 3 as a completely stock machine. And according to them, with just a cat delete, you can run stage 3 on 91 octane on trail rides but they recommend 93 octane if all you have is a cat delete and you're going to be pushing it harder like in the dunes.

This also uses the Dynojet PV3. With one tune it's $475 and each extra tune is $50. So for $525 you can get the stage 2 and stage 3 tunes and you'll be set :)

·
Vendor
X3 Max RS
612 Posts
If you do EVP you can buy the MapTuner X that works just like the DynoJet PV3. You can change tunes anytime you want including going back to stock. You can also monitor your gauges live; however, if you want to data log it’s a paid upgrade on the MapTuner X.

All said I’m a fan of the PV3. I’m also a fan of the Packard tunes. If you buy the 3” exhaust kit with Packard tunes you get their tunes and when I say their TUNES I mean they include any of their tunes you want. You don’t have to paid more for a 91 octane and a 110 octane and a E85 tune etc. They also have the options from stock motor with exhaust all the way up to the 52 psi (around 500 WHP) beast of a built motor they race with.

https://blackmarketutv.com/collections/maverick-x3-performance

·
Registered
9,194 Posts
I currently run the Whalen 170 tune. Was running the Dynojet tune prior. The Whalen tune has a little more punch to it over the dynojet tune. I have added a KWI clutch kit which I have not tried out with the dynojet tune. Next time out I will load in the dynojet tune to get a comparison.

EVO tunes are great too. Just wish they would use the PV3 from Dynojet. You can get the Maptuner from EVO which does allow you to put in the stock tune.

401 Posts
WS170 is hands down the best pump gas stock injector tune you'll find. Driveability is great and it'll also pull away from comparable tunes from competitors. The PV3 allows you to monitor, flash tunes, log, and read and clear codes. Let me know if I can help with any questions.

·
Registered
2019 Maverick XRC
73 Posts
Also torn between evo and Whalen. I believe they both offer a flash tuner that allows you to switch maps and monitor gauges. Not interested in peak power, just another 20-30hp delivered reliably and with good driveability

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
I'm about ready to pull the trigger. So far it's the WS170 with the PV3
One thing I would like to hear some input on first is I hear the Whalen runs a bit lean?
Sure wouldn't want to stick a piston....

I am though a bit curious about the Packard?
The ex Keith Black engine builder who is head mechanic at the dealership who I believe found my error code nightmare with the wastegate actuator solenoid swears by them.

401 Posts
John has spent hundreds of hours on the dyno, road testing, and race testing his tunes. Not that Evo or Packard haven't but John has been intensely focused on the X3 platform for quite some time now and has them dialed in pretty good. The Whalen tunes are in my opinion the best all around tune on the market. I've ran them for over a year now on big turbo setups without issue.

·
Registered
5,690 Posts
WS170 is hands down the best pump gas stock injector tune you'll find. Driveability is great and it'll also pull away from comparable tunes from competitors. The PV3 allows you to monitor, flash tunes, log, and read and clear codes. Let me know if I can help with any questions.
We have a stock X3 with a Evo Stage 4 tune that I would like to run against some of these cars people say are so unbeatable. I would like to have a shootout to see who's shit really works.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Reactions: GlamizSandunz

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
We have a stock X3 with a Evo Stage 4 tune that I would like to run against some of these cars people say are so unbeatable. I would like to have a shootout to see who's shit really works.

Is that tune with injectors/actuator 95+ octane?

I keep hearing both ways, think if I was going balls out it would be going EVO or Packard for the win however with the new turbos/manifolds and such where does it end.

I know I was looking for downloadable/removable tunes, and pump gas, John seems to have dialed that WS170 product in pretty well against the 3R. I just wanted a data logger and bit more oomph..... skills can only go so far to keep up with those damn kids and their tunes when we ride together.;)

·
Registered
9,194 Posts
Just ordered up my WS170 w/PV3
Thanks much Trevor!
I am currently running the Whalen 170 tune. Been happy so far. I was previously running just the Dynojet tune. The whalen tune has a little more punch. I have also added a KWI clutch kit.

Reactions: HPnMORE4J

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
I am currently running the Whalen 170 tune. Been happy so far. I was previously running just the Dynojet tune. The whalen tune has a little more punch. I have also added a KWI clutch kit.
Cool!
I really want the full float, sheave and kit done but it's too late in the riding season now to send it in.
Had thought about maybe doing the KMS dune kit with their secondary non torsional spring.

·
Registered
9,194 Posts
Cool!
I really want the full float, sheave and kit done but it's too late in the riding season now to send it in.
Had thought about maybe doing the KMS dune kit with their secondary non torsional spring.
I went with KWI because he does a lot of testing with Whalen. Plus they were both in the same vendor booth in Glamis when I got it done.

Reactions: HPnMORE4J

·
Registered
5,690 Posts
Is that tune with injectors/actuator 95+ octane?

I keep hearing both ways, think if I was going balls out it would be going EVO or Packard for the win however with the new turbos/manifolds and such where does it end.

I know I was looking for downloadable/removable tunes, and pump gas, John seems to have dialed that WS170 product in pretty well against the 3R. I just wanted a data logger and bit more oomph..... skills can only go so far to keep up with those damn kids and their tunes when we ride together.;)
Injectors and Stage 4 tune. It runs crisp and it was on E85 but he thinks it's more fun on AV Gas. It beats up on big Turbo cars all the time.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts