Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So with desert season coming to an end here in CA and AZ, where do you guys ride in the off season? My desert group puts their toys in the garage from April to October. Just curious if anyone in our neck of the woods goes anywhere to ride during the off season that doesn't have temps of 105 degrees. We are gearing up for river season, but I would like to know of any cool riding spots with camping within a few hours that can be done during the summer months.

·
Registered
449 Posts
I head to the mountains outside of Flagstaff and southern Utah. I think it maybe slightly more that 2 hours from your house but worth the drive.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
SW Utah is about 6.5 hours from me, I have driven through plenty of times, but never ridden there. I will look into the riding there, could be a good 4 day weekend type thing. Flagstaff is about 7.5 hours. Utah gets pretty hot in summer doesn't it?

·
Registered
449 Posts
SW Utah is about 6.5 hours from me, I have driven through plenty of times, but never ridden there. I will look into the riding there, could be a good 4 day weekend type thing. Flagstaff is about 7.5 hours. Utah gets pretty hot in summer doesn't it?
Coral Pinks can get a little warm in August. I have lived in the desert all my life and I really don't start getting warm until 105+.

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
We do Pismo a couple times each summer, and Big Bear/Arrow Head for some mountain trails a couple times as well. That will usually give me my riding fix for the off season months.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
We head up to the mountains in the summer. Used to do Pismo in the summer but seemed like everytime we went it was socked in with marine layer the whole day. Now we usually hit Pismo around new years to spring maybe once a year, but it sucks now compared to how it used to be back in the day.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Andy, there is riding in Big Bear? I will be up there in June for a fishing tournament, I will have to scout that out! Sounds like it would be a blast. I have always wanted hit up Pismo as well. Is there a lot of room to ride there? The Mav costs too much to let sit in the garage for 6 months!

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
I started to read this and said wow, your season is ending I guess and us eastern coast guys are just getting started. How hot does it really get during the summer months?

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
We usually won't go down south any later than mid-April. We've been at Dumont for spring break a few years back and it was around 105deg. I don't know how hot it actually gets but damn hot. I lived in Phoenix back in the early 90's and it reached 128deg, they had to close down the airport because the planes weren't able to get enough lift to take off.

·
Registered
10 Posts
X2...stay at Lizzy and Charlies campground. Or the little cabins on Main Street in Hatch Utah, then ride the mountain trail over to Bryce canyon/Ruby's Inn. Great ride and cabins are $65 per night. Town is UTV friendly...Bring your own booze, they don't sell any there...

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
Andy, there is riding in Big Bear? I will be up there in June for a fishing tournament, I will have to scout that out! Sounds like it would be a blast. I have always wanted hit up Pismo as well. Is there a lot of room to ride there? The Mav costs too much to let sit in the garage for 6 months!
Yes there are SOME trails up in Big Bear, Running springs area, and a few in the Arrowhead area as well. It aint the greatest, but it beats riding in the triple digit heat, or worse...not riding at all:wink:. Pismo...well Pismo is more about camping out on the beach than riding. The OHV area isn't even a 1/4 of what it was back in the 70's and 80's. You can ride all of Pismo in about 45 min, but it still beats garage racing.

·
Registered
10 Posts
If you can make the time...there's a ride in West/Central Colorado called the Alpine Loop...Google it. You can stay at either Lake City, Ouray or Silverton. The loop is thru the mountains with elevations up to almost 14000 ft. We have been there once and goung back Aug 11-16th...out of Silverton. The area is filled with old mining establishments, and many nof them are pretty well preserved with the old equipment still there. I rank it right up there with the Paiute trail. If you go, you will go back, it's that good. Good luck

1 - 16 of 16 Posts