Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After having it for four days, I finally went out for a ride this morning. I put 26 miles on it. It's a great machine! And I'm not disappointed at all. But, I see what the Commander folks are saying about the clutching in the CVT system being weak. It accelerates great up to 50 mph, but it takes a while to get to 60, and longer to get the 70 mph. The motor is doing great at that speed, but the CVT system just quite isn't there. I keep seeing on the commander forum that the STM clutch is the way to go. Too much money for me so I won't be doing it though. Also, the suspension is set up a little bit too stiff for me. But I'm coming from a rhino that had 14 inches of travel, but with air shocks. It had 7 inches of droop travel and 7 inches of bump travel, and rode better than any Cadillac. Although the Rhino would bottom occasionally, and I didn't even get close with the maverick. I had already checked the compression and rebound adjustments and had them all set to the middle setting. I'll be backing off on the preload to lower it 1 to 2 inches, and softening up the compression and rebound. Be sure and check your tire pressure before you go for your first run, mine were at 18 in the back and 14 in the front. I took them down to 9 in the back and 8 in the front which worked pretty good, but might've been a little bit too low. Got a little bit of duning in and it definitely needs paddle tires. The stock tires at nine psi did nothing but spin! I'll try 4 or 5 psi in Glamis and see how it does! It jumps very well! Good balance to it and no surprises. I hit a powerline Road with 1 foot woops and at around 50 mph it rode good, at 60 mile-per-hour it rode even better, and my eyes did not work fast enough at 70 mph. I have no idea how off-road racers go faster than 70 through whoop de do's. And high range I felt the shaft saver kick in a few times, but not annoying at all. but in low range, the computer pretty much takes over the throttle. Very strange and annoying, because we're not used to it. But, it did climb anything I pointed it at. I tried to get hung up and test out the front diff, but by myself I just couldn't make it happen. Back to the clutching. For those who just want to have the best and the fastest, check out the commander forum. They have been doing it for two years already. This thing will supposedly do 75 mph in Glamis with paddles .So by changing the clutching it should do 90 miles in the desert. But we probably shouldn't go that fast!
I usually ride a spot called the dip. It's at Superstition in Imperial Valley. There's this nice Hill that I've been eyeing now for about 2 years in my Rhino. In my Rhino, all I could do is pull up to the bottom and shake my head! So today as I drive by it, I size it up. I shoot half way up and turn out. That was easy. So I go around to the back and go to the top to see what it will look like as I crest it. Not bad, just have to make a 90 degree turn as soon as I crest it. I drive down it, make a uturn, and easily shoot straight to the top!!! Now that's what I'm talking about!!! Plenty of power and traction!

·
Registered
317 Posts
Great info! My dealership did a break in for me so I can just drive it when I pick up Saturday. Since my son works at the dealership he rode with the tech that broke it in, called me right after he got out of it and now he wont stop talking about how amazing the power is and how well it handles, the acceleration and braking. His exact words were "it is worth every penny" We shall see since it was my money! lol

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh yeah, I think the Commander peeps have a wiring mod that makes the low range have normal throttle response.

·
Registered
2019 max R turbo
831 Posts
That was the best right up I've seen so far. Most others are so blind by the hype that you never get the real deal. I wondered if the shaft-saver would be present on this model as it was on the commander (wait for the black box to remove it). You answered that question. Suspension ride quality is all very subjection so I will see for myself but looks like it handled everything you thru at it. How many stock machines can say that. Clutching is possibly still an issue but if you have a STM like I do on my commander then you really understand how the OEM clutch is weak. The stm has an unlimited number of tuning and performance factors and once they are correctly dialed in the low end pull is unreal but the topend power is equally as impressive. If you want to improve the pull from 50 to 75 mphs remove the stock air box and replace it with a Weller K/N intake air filter. This will allow the motor to breath so much more in the higher rpm range and will help despite the poor clutch setup. The other thing is look at the rpms when you hit 50. I don't know what power band this motor works most efficiently in but if I'm right it probably works best in the 7100 to 7600 rpm stock. See what rpms you are hitting between 50 to 70 mphs. Believe it or not with the Mav's new intake and bigger valves the power in the 50 to 70 mphs range might be as simple as tuning the clutch and improving the air flow.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts