Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my last ride was a bit rough, riding full speed downhill and when i was coming to the level ground, my rear end hit the surface because i was driving too fast and the shocks compacted fully and the rear end touched the ground , at first i thought i even cracked the chassis. After detailed inspection, everything seemed fine, no cracks no visible problem. Ride on for about 50 more kilometers back home, when pulling in front of my garage, i heard this weird noise when starting the car a little too hard. It's a weird sound like something is hanging and hitting the walls of some metal case. The sound is located somewhere near the gearbox transmission , i think. It does the same sound no matter if starting back or forward.

After detailed inspection once again, no cracks were found to the chassis, the engine, or anywhere else. all parts are on place, no visible marks anywhere, it's like the sound is coming from somewhere inside.

These are videos from the machine in question, a 2018 X3 XMR Turbo R.

It's a 200 km to the nearest dealership, and with this virus situation i really like to avoid going there right now.

Does anyone have any idea what the problem might be ?

·
Registered
58 Posts
So my last ride was a bit rough, riding full speed downhill and when i was coming to the level ground, my rear end hit the surface because i was driving too fast and the shocks compacted fully and the rear end touched the ground , at first i thought i even cracked the chassis. After detailed inspection, everything seemed fine, no cracks no visible problem. Ride on for about 50 more kilometers back home, when pulling in front of my garage, i heard this weird noise when starting the car a little too hard. It's a weird sound like something is hanging and hitting the walls of some metal case. The sound is located somewhere near the gearbox transmission , i think. It does the same sound no matter if starting back or forward.

After detailed inspection once again, no cracks were found to the chassis, the engine, or anywhere else. all parts are on place, no visible marks anywhere, it's like the sound is coming from somewhere inside.

These are videos from the machine in question, a 2018 X3 XMR Turbo R.

It's a 200 km to the nearest dealership, and with this virus situation i really like to avoid going there right now.

Does anyone have any idea what the problem might be ?

Use chassis ears to pinpoint where the noise is coming from.
or rig up a makeshift stethoscope with longer hose for an extension.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Use chassis ears to pinpoint where the noise is coming from.
or rig up a makeshift stethoscope with longer hose for an extension.
I've done that, I'm fairly positive the sound is coming from this part of the machine.

Now I'm thinking of removing the cap and see if any obvious damage is visible.

·
Premium Member
6,764 Posts
Yeah, the flat end to one's ear to verify if they have a screw loose?.
Hey the bad jokes are my job around here!

Harbor freight has a mechanics stethoscope.

Maybe remove the clutch cover just to see if its clutch related. Tim

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Thanks everyone for the tips for locating the source of the weird sound, but i already have located it to this part

This machine also has a history with the transmission, last winter, going full gas uphill the belt broke and the wheels were stuck locked in position.

No matter in what gear, the wheels were stuck and I was unable to move the machine. After disconnecting the rear axles from the engine side at the spot the machine was able to be taken to a tow truck to the dealership.

There, they removed this cover marked with red line on the first picture where they found that this "Park locking lever" to be stuck in position. But no damage on it, and they could not answer why this happened.

After re-setting it, doing the full procedure and whatnot, the machine was running smooth until the minor incident i described in my first post.
I really don't want to tow the machine to the dealership again during this shitty period with the virus etc..

What i am not sure from reading the manual is if i remove this cover, is there oil behind it, should i drain the gearbox oil first.
I want to inspect this same part, park locking lever, does it have any scratches or damage. See if anything looks out of the ordinary.

Does anyone had any problem's similar to this one ?

·
Registered
22 Posts
I think ive always had that noise after selecting gears as you "take up the slack" so to speak. I have a 17 maverick x3 rs mostly stock standard

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think ive always had that noise after selecting gears as you "take up the slack" so to speak. I have a 17 maverick x3 rs mostly stock standard
Well this is new to my machine at least. Anyhow, i'm taking it for a ride tomorrow for a first time after i noticed that, so fingers crossed.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts