Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else having an issue with the engine barely turning over after going for a long drive, turning it off for 10 or so minutes then trying to start it up again?

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
mine seams to go faster when its warmed up maybe your battery isn't holding juice , prolly not the problem tho

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
Anyone else having an issue with the engine barely turning over after going for a long drive, turning it off for 10 or so minutes then trying to start it up again?
Mine didn't even start after the first long drive had to get a boost it went and never did it again but yeah sometimes it'll turn over slow at the first press of the starter button when it's warm.

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
and u do infact have the new denso starter ?

make sure it DOES NOT look like this one , lol

ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21363584415.877526.jpg

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
The recall starter fixed mine.
had the recall done also. didn't seem to help. started it saturday and thought what the hell, didn't think it was gonna start.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm going to check to see If my max qualifies for the recall starter but I am beginning to think that heat may be an issue. At first I was thinking battery drain but the thing starts fine/better once it has a long cool down.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Check battery leads and the starter. I always thought my Mav turned over a little slow so I added a AGM battery that fits a 2005 Mazda Miata. Mounted it under the drivers seat and connected the positive lead to the starter relay and the negative lead to chassis. Went out for 4 days running the stereo, lights and in the warmer weather with no problems.
IMG_0804.jpg

Reactions: dirtyj

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
can a battery get heat soaked after a ride and produce less voltage after it heats up ?

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
Check battery leads and the starter. I always thought my Mav turned over a little slow so I added a AGM battery that fits a 2005 Mazda Miata. Mounted it under the drivers seat and connected the positive lead to the starter relay and the negative lead to chassis. Went out for 4 days running the stereo, lights and in the warmer weather with no problems.
View attachment 8587
This is a great idea!!..if and when mine don't start again I'll buy a battery like that..thanks for this info.

·
Registered
367 Posts
can a battery get heat soaked after a ride and produce less voltage after it heats up ?
Yes it can, and amperage can drop too.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
I would think the battery heat soak is not most likely the issue. I am experiencing this slow crank after a decent run and it is a 14 xrs dps max. I had the problem with the 13 xrs the recall fixed. Will be interesting to see if the new production starters end up being a problem. I will install a plutonium fuel rod if I need more amperage to start.. After all Hanford is only 12 miles away from my shop. :)

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Reactions: rchrisman1184

·
Registered
400 Posts
Mine cranks slow after a good hard run...if it sits for a little shes cranks like crazy....I too have had the recall done I wonder what the heck.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Have you checked your valve lash? From what my Rotax mechanic friend tells me, these motors tend to tighten the valves (decreasing lash), this would make warm startup difficult. I doubt this issue to be electrical, most likely mechanical if it's only when the engine is warm.

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
Have you checked your valve lash? From what my Rotax mechanic friend tells me, these motors tend to tighten the valves (decreasing lash), this would make warm startup difficult. I doubt this issue to be electrical, most likely mechanical if it's only when the engine is warm.
right next to the battery is 2 resonators and a cat , creates and keeps tons of heat , batteries can lose power volts amps when they get warm , could be a slight chance its electrical ,

·
Registered
223 Posts
easy to check, just try to crank with jumper cables or a jump box when it's hot. a batteries performance increases with heat, but life shortens. battery performance decreases with cold but life increases.

·
Registered
806 Posts
right next to the battery is 2 resonators and a cat , creates and keeps tons of heat , batteries can lose power volts amps when they get warm , could be a slight chance its electrical ,
Yes on the heat question. Heat = resistance which cause a larger amperage draw.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Yes on the heat question. Heat = resistance which cause a larger amperage draw.
ambient heat and resistance heat are not the same thing. resistance in an electrical circuit causes heat, not the other way around. in this case the heat is ambient heat from the exhaust. this heat does not change the resistance of the 12V system. however repeated charging and discharging in high ambient heat will continually shorten the battery's output cycle, meaning the amperage output will remain high, but it will be in shorter and shorter bursts.

either way we're all wasting time speculating until the OP runs it til hot and then tries to start it from an external supply source. personally, i would disconnect the original battery first to take it out of the circuit in case it is damaged, and then direct connect another battery or jump box. i hope it's just his battery as that's the easiest fix.

OP, what's up?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts