Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Vendor
6,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are the know weak leaks or complaints that people that with the Maverick.
So far I've read of:
-stiff shocks
-loose hardware
-a tab tearing off the frame
-toe rods
-rear suspension rod
-skids

What are some areas that need to be improved on?

·
Premium Member
8,276 Posts
What are the know weak leaks or complaints that people that with the Maverick.
So far I've read of:
-stiff shocks
-loose hardware
-a tab tearing off the frame
-toe rods
-rear suspension rod
-skids

What are some areas that need to be improved on?

i would add crappy seat latches and rubber feet. my latch rod bent and the rubber is too soft.

none of them are issues for me and i beat the crap out of mine right out of the box.

the shocks are adjustable to your liking, i prefer them stiff others are opposite.

bent tie rod? sheesh Johnny just needs to learn how to drive. haha

loose hardware, i briefly checked mine before riding, just a fluke.

now a tab ripping off the frame that sucks, you never know what the details were. Tab not entirely welded? driver hit something?

yeah the skid plates are thin plastic, but its easily replaced.

the Mav is really a great machine and you will never please everyone. I have owned Yamaha, Polaris, Kawasaki and now Can Am they all have thier drawbacks and strong points.

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
just got back from the first ride she now has 18 miles and did 55 thru huge woops and still holding up , seat clunk on hard turns maybe a lil and sum rattles but thats normal ,

whats the rear suspension rod and whats it doing ?

·
Vendor
6,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This is my reason for asking, we won't receive any Mavericks over here on the east coast until late February or early March. My Teryx sold last week and I have a race mid March. I have no intentions of destroying a new vehicle 2 weeks after I buy it. I own a fabrication business and I want to have material on hand to knock out any parts needed before the race.
I'm also considering building these parts to sell and also wanting to get a feel for things. I have a few ideas already.

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
im sure custom skid plates and sum a-arm/frame supports for the hardcore, and its solid in that dept!

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
I'm going to weld washers onto the suspension mounting points, just like I did on my Rhino, so the bolts won't rip out from a lawn dart or roll over. Also going to weld some dimple dyed plate to the front lower a arm. Definitely needs better skids. The front and rear tie rods have weak points.

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
ah tie rods yes , utvinc has a nice set out , hopefully that make sum for the rear to

·
Vendor
6,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
whats the rear suspension rod and whats it doing ?
Rear tie rod, honestly probably nothing to worry about, some guy rolled one and the casting bent. It deserved to bend.

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
Rear tie rod, honestly probably nothing to worry about, some guy rolled one and the casting bent. It deserved to bend.
lol

ah ok cool !

·
Registered
355 Posts
We have tie rod kits and radius rod kits that we are finishing up on.
They are both common weak points. The factory Maverick tie rods are a big upgrade from the Commander rods.

·
Premium Member
8,276 Posts
They are both common weak points. The factory Maverick tie rods are a big upgrade from the Commander rods.

I think you guys are over strengthing these things, something has to give in a crash to keep from bending the frame or spindles.

when you say common weak points do you have any examples of bent ones on a Maverick?

·
Vendor
6,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
What are they made out of, can you give some specs?

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
UTV inc already has tie rods for sale. I've got some on order, I'd u r gonna race this then u should certainly get some, I've bent one already. Just hit something and bent it.

·
Registered
355 Posts
I think you guys are over strengthing these things, something has to give in a crash to keep from bending the frame or spindles.

when you say common weak points do you have any examples of bent ones on a Maverick?
In a crash, but not during normal riding conditions. When I say common I was not referring to the Maverick specifically but the UTVs in general. You don't want a tie rod to give out 20 miles from civilization. Most of the Commander tie rod kits that we have sold have been to customers with a broken rod under normal riding conditions. A majority of the products we build have engineered weak or break points to prevent more severe damage to the chassis.

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
i cant wait to see sum products out for this newbie utv! !!

·
Registered
123 Posts
TurnKey, with beefed up tie rods is the steering rack next? I beefed up the tie rods on my Rhino just to knock the rack out, beefed up the rack and tore the bolts out of the frame holding the Rack. Beefed up the frame and and who knows what's next.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts