Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys im new to this forum but I just recently snorkel my maverick with the kit from snorkel your atv. Everything worked fine until I installed a clutch kit. Now everytime I go just a little deep in water my cvt fill ups with water. Ive taken the cover off several times and check the bolts as well, dont understand how im getting water in cover. Do I have to silcone the front and back of cvt cover? Can anyone give me ideas? Also do I need to silcone the air box too? Please help

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
my guess is when you pulled the CVT cover to install your clutch kit, you created a bad seal somewhere. The gasket should seal the cover fine if it is clean and not pinched. also check your connections for the air inlet and outlets to make sure they are sealed tight. There is also a chance that it could be leaking in from behind the CVT backplate. Maybe add a bead of caulking around the openings.

·
Registered
46 Posts
In the past i've never had an issue with the factory gaskets sealing up a belt housing. Are you sure you didn't rip the gasket or install it wrong? (it generally only goes on one way.)

I would recommend NOT using silicone to caulk it up from the outside or gluing it on with silicone either for that matter as it will make it very difficult to get back off in the future.

If the factory gasket won't seal it up and there's no other option you can use this method to make a new gasket that won't glue your cover on.
1) Clean the cover side so that it's free of any dirt or oil.
2) Apply a bead of permatex RTV silicone gasket maker to the cover side only.
3) use your finger to tool the RTV so that it fully covers the mating surface.
4) Apply a thin layer of grease (axle/bearing/etc) to the engine side mating surface.
5) Reinstall clutch cover and let the permatex cure.

The grease will keep the permatex from adhering to the engine side of the gasket. Once the permatex cures you should have a good seal between the case and the cover that will be somewhat reusable. (as long as you don't tear it up while dis-assembling the clutch cover)

as Heavysledz mentioned be sure that the intake/exhaust for the belt drive snorkels are installed correctly and none of the clamps are loose. Using silicone on these isn't a bad idea. As for your air box the above mentioned process usually works pretty good for sealing them up too.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys, ill check the gasket again but pretty sure its good and ill check everything else. Maybe ill just order a new gasket and see if that works.

·
Registered
502 Posts
So I just did this last weekend after finally getting my clutches dialed in....
Use RTV silicone first it's the best for this stuff. Yes seal the front n back of the housing or you will get water in it when sitting in water not just running through it. The front of the house has a tricking connection it's the one that 90s to the rear. Make sure you RTV the hell outta that one I have seen it cause problems. I was told by a shop owner in town to fill it up with water n see where the water leaks out then of corse drain the water repair n refill once dry. He said that's what he does. Now the air box... He replaces them with a steal sealable box that's air tight n awesome but all I did was take the electrical grease I used on my connections n lined the seal of the box with it. That was a month ago n this weekend I was in water up to my chin Sitting in water well over the dash waiting for my poo poo friends to get out the way:wink: and didn't take in any water. Paul if that's u call me I'll tell ya exactly what I did to seal her up.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Yea LBS its me. We missed you at mudmuckers last weekend
Ah man, we gotta get you guys down to R.R. It's a whole different world out there. We had to get our property out there cleaned up n ready to go. Great to see ya on the forum man. There are a bunch of real good, knowledgable men on this forum that will help with mostly everything. Kenny told me though he fills them up with water to see if it will leak. I don't know when mine leaked it was that outlet in the front of the housing it's a treaky one.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ah man, we gotta get you guys down to R.R. It's a whole different world out there. We had to get our property out there cleaned up n ready to go. Great to see ya on the forum man. There are a bunch of real good, knowledgable men on this forum that will help with mostly everything. Kenny told me though he fills them up with water to see if it will leak. I don't know when mine leaked it was that outlet in the front of the housing it's a treaky one.
Yea kenny was trying to tell me. But we came to the conclusion that he would meet me in jacksonville and take it back to his shop and redo the entire snorkle system. But ill call you tonight and try your method first.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Ok, cool also a there is a shop manual file going around I'll try to get you the link for the cvt so you can have a visual of what your working with

1 - 13 of 13 Posts