Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Buddy was climbing a hill in his 1kxp and did not make it. In stead of gently backing, off he mashed the small peddle. Tires had to be doing 60mph forward while car was sliding back wards. Ground was still frozen and was slick as ice. As he was sliding backwards out of control the right front hits a tree and grabs traction, shoots the front end to the left hard. Hard enough he is now 90 degrees sideways to the climb. When the right front hit the tree we heard a load crack. It over extended the shock travel and pulled the top shock mount out of the frame, pulled the bolt out of the hole in the frame. The frame just rolled open and left a U shape slut where the hole was. Also snapped the CV join flush with the hub. Now he sliding side ways down the hill left side first (hill so steep you had your hands down to climb it), in my opinion the only reason it did not roll was because the right front had sat down on the right front tire. The right shock had come across in front of the firewall under the hood. He slides down the hill approx 25' and slams a tree into the rocker panel just behind the front of the cab on left side. It bent the rocker in 2", shoved the cage over, and ruined the door. He was ok. We got the car off the tree and down the hill. It looked like the front end was pushed over to the right a little. Lucky for us I was able to pick the right side up and the other guys could slide the shock back into place so he could ride it out easy.

This was not a rip on the 1kxp as I do not think the Mav would have held up much better under the circumstances. Not a poo poo fan at all, but call it how I seen it. This was a driver that knew better, but a 900xp had made it already and he wasnt going to let the 900 out do him. Prob was the 900 had spun off the thawed dirt. as in former GNC A class MX racer and former GNCC Quad Pro Am racer.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No I do not carry a camera with me. Another guys girl tried to record on her phone, but it did not get much.
Kinda sad cause this buddy organizes alot of our local rides and has access to places the rest of us do not. Hope he isnt down long.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Glad your buddy is okay. Sounds like the car protected him pretty good.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts