Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any of you guys have any tips or tricks for washing the Mav? This is my first SXS so I was just curious. Usually after a weekend in the sand its not too dirty, but after a trip to Ocotillo its pretty hammered. I usually just use normal car wash soap and a soft rag, then pull out the air compressor and blow all the excess water out of all the mounting points of the front and rear arms, shocks, ect. It takes longer to wash the Mav than it does my truck! I'm sure the mud guys must have a hell of a time!

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
I do the same. Except I use my big shop vac to blow the hole car off. More air volume equals faster drying. Also equals more layznes.
:cool2:

·
Registered
58 Posts
I use a small weed sprayer filled with full-strength Simple Green. Give the Mav a full, light coating, let sit for about 5 min and then hit it with the pressure washer. My pressure washer is a high gpm, low press (around 1800psi). I keep the engine speed low and don't get the wand close to electronics and seals. Not as clean as a brush wash but it does really well with less work.

I've been cleaning my MX bikes like this for over a decade.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I use a small weed sprayer filled with full-strength Simple Green. Give the Mav a full, light coating, let sit for about 5 min and then hit it with the pressure washer. My pressure washer is a high gpm, low press (around 1800psi). I keep the engine speed low and don't get the wand close to electronics and seals. Not as clean as a brush wash but it does really well with less work.

Thats how I have always cleaned my MX bikes as well. Thats a lot of simple green for the mav though! Never thought of a weed sprayer, I will try that next time. Thanks for the input!

·
Registered
1,103 Posts

That is an Awesome Idea. Thanks Meckanik

·
Registered
1,103 Posts

·
Registered
998 Posts
Mud can be tough, but the most important thing to do is make sure you spray the mud off before it dries. I'll usually take a pressure washer with a wide spray pattern and spray all the big stuff off and then spray the under the bed and all the metal parts down with purple power that can be bought at napa. Be careful with purple power it can stain aluminum if you let it dry. I'll handwash it then spray it off, I'll repeat this step 3 or 4 times and then I'll take a leaf blower and air hose to knock the big water off. I'll then take some microfiber towels and dry the rest of the machine off and then take maxima sc1 or dress all to the plastics, engine area and suspension parts. Maxima sc1 is like a silicone base spray and it helps keep the mud from sticking to the plastics and rubber parts, I highly recommend it. Takes me roughly 2-4 hours to clean mine.

·
Registered
329 Posts
And if you look closely that's why mudders have doors. Well at least the one who like to ride in the mud not take a bath in it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
That is the only thing keeping me from getting a Mav it gets way muddier then the commander do to the little finder coverage what do others think of this and would door help out that much

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Just another good day of riding in early March, in northern Ohio.
That looks like a good ole mud slingin' time!

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
I do the exact same thing & works like a champ. I have been doing this since the early 90's & my 250r racin days. Makes the machine easier to clean & looks like new when done. Only use simple green because some degreasers will eat the plastic, especially the clear plastic like your gauges. My friends swear by using pledge furniture polish before they ride. Makes the plastic look great & nothing sticks to it - honestly I haven't tried it yet.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Mud can be tough, but the most important thing to do is make sure you spray the mud off before it dries. I'll usually take a pressure washer with a wide spray pattern and spray all the big stuff off and then spray the under the bed and all the metal parts down with purple power that can be bought at napa. Be careful with purple power it can stain aluminum if you let it dry. I'll handwash it then spray it off, I'll repeat this step 3 or 4 times and then I'll take a leaf blower and air hose to knock the big water off. I'll then take some microfiber towels and dry the rest of the machine off and then take maxima sc1 or dress all to the plastics, engine area and suspension parts. Maxima sc1 is like a silicone base spray and it helps keep the mud from sticking to the plastics and rubber parts, I highly recommend it. Takes me roughly 2-4 hours to clean mine.
How much do you charge?
I have been using the weed sprayer and Simple Green and use a small brush as needed, rinse off then spraying it down lightly with Armoral. I bought a gallon of WD40 but read on the can not to use on rubber. The armoral makes cleaning it next time very easy. It doesn't due well in dusty conditions. It kind of attracts dust.

·
Hickory, NC
2,958 Posts
I use a hotsy at about 185* to knock off the mud, then pump up sprayer with purple on tires and chassis
Spray again and you're done. Once you've tried hot water, everything else is Mickey Mouse.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts