Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone snap a synthetic line on a 4500 lbs warn winch setup? Had one let go on the maverick the other day...only a month old and second time used.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It broke 10 feet away from the front...didn't see any damage to the rope prior...and the spool and fairlead are fine. Maybe it was just a bad rope.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Have you pulled the rest of the cable off yet? Have you run the winch for longer than 30 seconds at a time before letting it cool down? Heat is the worst enemy of a synthetic winch cable. If you have run it for a long time without letting it cool, you will likely find that the further you get down into the spool, the cable will be melted. I had my GF use my winch once while I was at work, and I hadn't explained to her how to do it properly with the synthetic rope, and she did 2 things wrong. She hooked the cable to itself and wound it all the way in at once without letting it cool. Result was a broken and melted winch rope.

·
Registered
668 Posts
I've broke several of the ropes and different brands to. I've come to the conclusion the ropes suck for reliability . Safety they are awesome but when u really need them break snap or what ever. I also use tree straps or shackles and never hook the rope back on it self. I'm really considering going back to steel cable on my next one for this reason but risk getting hurt. Idk.

Reactions: bulldogs101

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Was only the second time used....and it never got hot...thinking I may replace it with cable...The rope is nice to handle but if it's this sensitive I can't trust it.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Synthertic rope is junk, go back to steel cable.

·
Vendor
6,220 Posts
I run master pull never had a problem with theres
Same here, we've been running and selling Master Pull for years. The super line XD is practically indestructible but they haven't made it thin enough for the UTV's yet. I should make some phone calls.

Dirt and the sun are synthetic lines worst enemy. You have to take special care of them and keep them clean. They can be a pain to deal with but the weight and safety difference is worth running it IMO.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Damn it Alex!!! I had made up my mind to go to cable until you spoke up. Let me know if you can find a better replacement rope vs the factory warn.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I have broke the same winch rope brand new. How is the winch mounted?? Thinking mine was self inflicted. Anyway I ordered replacement rope from custom splice. And going to fix the mounting of the winch.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It's in a CT bumper...it didn't break any where near the machine. Think it just failed..was only the second time used. Never got hot because the first time was under water.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
I used steel for years and decided to try a synthetic rope on my Woodsbuggy. I liked the ideal from a safety standpoint however mine broke three times. The last time it broke was on a fairly steep incline and sliding backwards 200 yards down a rocky incline is no fun, so back to steel I went! I also did not like the ideal you had to use a sleeve in the rough stuff and the need to unwind it and clean it after every muddy ride. That's my 2Cs.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts