Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

Warn ProVantage 4500 Winch Install

46K views 64 replies 19 participants last post by  maxdun 
#1 · (Edited)
I installed my winch and have some good hints & tricks... check this out !!!!
Couldn't have done it with out my new Forum Buddy BayouBogger...

Don't forget the long Yellow & Blue cables go to the Battery & the Red & Black short cables go to the winch motor..

Where to mount the winch relay control Had to trim the right side of the bracket a bit,
Watch the rivets you will need to drill the instillation screws around them....

Vehicle Mode of transport Car

Where do the switch factory wires from the dash go to ??? Here is the color changes for you to follow....
Green to Green, Black to Brown, Gray to Black.. I had to crimp on new spade ends on the wires so they would plug in...
Don't forget the dielectric grease ....

Auto part Wire Electrical wiring Fuel line Electronics

This is where you plug in the switch on the back of the dash panel after you push out the panel blank...

Light Automotive lighting

If you don't have a good magnet you will need one... It saved me 4-5 Times !!!!!

Wire Wood Technology Cable Electronic device

Try not to curse too much it wont help...I tried...LOL
Take your time and it will go a lot better... Enjoy !!!

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
why did you mount the relay switch there? It should mount on the top of the passenger side shock tower. If your winch only goes one way don't be surprised the wiring on the switch is backwards. The direction say blue brown and black but the wire are green blue and blackv going to the relay switch.

And you are correct the top mounting bolts for the bumper are a pain in the ass. i just used some tape and super long ext to reach across from one side to the other.

#3 ·
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mine works GREAT... Other wise I would never have shared this info... The reason why I mounted it here was to keep mud away from it... It may get water but the mud will be less ...

#4 ·
DId your winch come with everything needed for install? What i mean is did it come with the contactor and dash switch?

I installed my winch and have some good hints & tricks... check this out !!!!
Couldn't have done it with out my new Forum Buddy BayouBogger...

Don't forget the long Yellow & Blue cables go to the Battery & the Red & Black short cables go to the winch motor..

Where to mount the winch relay control Had to trim the right side of the bracket a bit,
Watch the rivets you will need to drill the instillation screws around them....

View attachment 1120

Where do the switch factory wires from the dash go to ??? Here is the color changes for you to follow....
Green to Green, Black to Brown, Gray to Black.. I had to crimp on new spade ends on the wires so they would plug in...
Don't forget the dielectric grease ....

View attachment 1121

This is where you plug in the switch on the back of the dash panel after you push out the panel blank...

View attachment 1123

If you don't have a good magnet you will need one... It saved me 4-5 Times !!!!!

View attachment 1122

Try not to curse too much it wont help...I tried...LOL
Take your time and it will go a lot better... Enjoy !!!

#7 ·
Yes.... It came with everything needed to install everything except 3- Female spade connectors... I had to buy the winch plate from can-Am... I got mine through Amazon.com

#9 ·
Sorry I see now that I got it at:Rocky Mountain ATV.... $ 543.99

Also right now WARN has a $50 Rebate offer till April 1st..

#10 ·
I got the rt40 4000lb winch off of cabelas last night on sale for $429. With the $50 rebate and me redeeming my cabelas points. Ended up getting it for $300. Bought the factory mount off of eBay.

#11 ·
That's pretty good....

I opted for the ProVantage is a heavier duty winch...
I learned when I broke into my last WARN cheaper winch to lube and clean, preventive maintenance, all of them are not created equal...

#12 ·
wondering if you can help a little....just bought a 2013 maverick x....got a dealer warn 4000 winch....I see the leads above the passenger shock for the connector, but the directions don't say to install the relay above the shock.....any comments??? I'm also looking for the black and red leads from the battery.... I'm missing something.....installing the winch itself was easy, i'm struggling understanding the wiring.....directions talk about putting the yellow and blue leads to the winch and then connection those to the relay....again...not sure where the black and red leads are???

#13 ·
Check the other thread I think I answered your question. Pm me if you have any other questions.

#15 ·
I am about 80% done with my install of the winch, had the wireless remote as a extra install. Testing done and working as expected.

Just the finishing touches left now. I followed the wiring as per this thread.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Attachments

#21 ·
Did you have any problems putting the hood back on? The one I have, it looks like it would prevent the hood from going back on. Not sure. I am in the middle of the install now...I need a break. I am already starting to cuss...haha. I am mainly aggravated because the switch I got with my Viper Elite winch will not go into plug behind dash. They are made different. That just means I can't finish today...

#22 ·
Technology Electronic device Electronics Electronic component Gadget
Electronics Green Electronic component Technology Electronic device
Electronic device Technology Cable Networking cables Electronics
Electronics Electrical wiring Technology Wire Auto part

Can anybody help me out with a few issues that I have. First issue is the switch....you can see that the viper has a hole in the middle where the can am has a slit...I know that I can drill a hole but the clips on side don't match up so I am assuming that I just need to buy a can am switch. Any ideas? Also, I am attaching a pic of where I am mounting my conductor (whatever it's called)...it has two wires coming from it and I have four wires that are from the factory. Does anyone have any ideas on what I should do? After this is complete, maybe this link will be the go to forum for the winch install for warn and Viper. I will post all pics of the after product so people can learn from my "hold ups".

#23 ·
One other option maybe...Viper did send their own wiring harness, with a box for the wireless remote. I could ignore everything can am has preinstalled and just rewire it all with what viper sent me...wish someone on here had suggestions. I am going back out to work on it and will periodically check back on here. Once I get to the end...I will post what I did

#28 ·
Careful sucking in water in your intake….looks like you got some in there previously. Also, keep that post filter clean. That does most of the real filtering…..

#29 ·
Thanks a lot...I had too much fun my first time out, hitting too much water too fast. After cleaning, I have tried being more careful since then. Not sure how it got in there...looks like the intake runs around and right above the glovebox...seems like it would be difficult for water to get in there. That dirty filter that you are looking at is really oily from factory. Do I just wash it with warm water and soap then reoil it?

#32 ·
Are you referring to the service kit off to the right of the air filter (UAF-SK400)? If so, yes, that will work.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.