Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I looked thru this whole forum and can't find out what a E Z way to clean the VSS is. Or is is necessary at 65 hrs and 750 miles?
Thanks

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
yes clean it

like mentioned above

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Whats the vss?

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys so do you have to remove the actuator to get to it? or is there a trick to get to it? also seen on the commander forum that it needs to be in 4 wd. any other tricks I need to know ? and thanks again.

oh it is the Vehicle Speed Sensor

·
Registered
150 Posts
Would that cause this to happen ???

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
very well could be...

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Thanks guys so do you have to remove the actuator to get to it? or is there a trick to get to it? also seen on the commander forum that it needs to be in 4 wd. any other tricks I need to know ? and thanks again.

oh it is the Vehicle Speed Sensor
Yes, you will need to remove the 4x4 actuator in order to access the VSS. It is covered up, and impossible to get to without removing that actuator first. Make sure it is in 4x4. Be careful when re-installing it, because if the little fork in there doesn't engage the pin properly it won't shift into or out of 4x4 and you'll have to redo the R&R. Also be prepared to add some oil back into the gearbox, as you will lose a bit when removing the speed sensor.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you that helps a lot I thought it looked like you had to remove the actuator but peeps on here have come up with some pretty creative ways to do things.
Thanks again for the help

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Scottdmax I did all what you said and put it back together and was wondering if there is a way to test that it is right before i out all the plastics back on ? it seams to sound different when you switch the 4 wd switch than it before. Thanks for your help

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Sounds like it may not be back in right. (this happened to me also) If it wasn't replaced and properly engaged right the first time, you will immediately know it when you look at the instrument panel. The 4x4 indicator will not show it to be in 4 wheel drive when it is supposed to be. In that case, you will need to remove the actuator again and reclock it for the fork to engage the pin. It just takes a bit of time and patience to be sure it is exactly right before you tighten the retaining bolts.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The 4x4 indicator light is on all the time even when you put it in 2 wd the actuator is moving it just sound different than it did before.
Thanks for your help with this

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
If the 4x4 light is on all the time then it's not right. The actuator is sounding different because the fork is not captured by the pin in the gear case...so it's not shifting it back out of 4x4. You'll need to remove the actuator again and with a flashlight look in there while you carefully re-install the actuator, making sure to capture those 2 pieces together. It may require moving the mechanism forward or aft in order for them to mate up.
It can be a bit of a bit#* to do, but you'll get it right with some persistence.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Was gonna say (as most have found out) what makes this job a pain in the ass is the tight confines preventing a clear view, and not much room to get your hands in there!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts