• K&N air filter

Votes: 13 41.9%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
whats best, uni or k&n for our machine stock drop in box , I wouldn't run k&n oil I would use maxima super tacky foam and fabric oil on either one !

$(KGrHqNHJ!8E+PM0l7gMBQKcsqZ))g~~60_3.jpg $T2eC16FHJGYE9nooiLeKBRUzRt(Evw~~60_57.jpg

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
well this is what I've always been told. K&N have let dirt through. Not Bashing, just hear say from others that have run their filters. I have run The uni in my quads and never had problems.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Ive aleays ran K&N and never had an issue with dirt getting through.

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
Personal prefferance

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
I've ran both on my sport & race quads - never had an issue with either but I always ran a outerwear on the K&N. With the Maverick & Commanders you can't run the outerwear or at least I haven't seen one. I had such bad dust issues with my stock air filters in my Commander, I switched to K&N and never had any more problems but I would clean it pretty much after every dusty trip too. So far running the K&N in the dunes has been good in the Mav, no signs off dirt getting past filter. I do think I will get a UNI for when we ride in the mountains because the dust is so fine and think the UNI will work better.

·
Registered
214 Posts
is the uni washable? where can I buy one? I have k&n in my commander with no problems. Need something for the maverick now.

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
uni air filter on ebay 50 bucks brand new shipped !

·
Registered
221 Posts
had my k&N filter in for about a week now and i ride desert alot (very dusty) and im seeing good results. i think its all on how u oil it. not to little (lets in dust) not to much oil (rob that precious hourse power).

·
Registered
1,255 Posts

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
is the uni washable? where can I buy one? I have k&n in my commander with no problems. Need something for the maverick now.
Haven't seen this one yet but yes, UNI filters are washable. Just don't use gasoline.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Do you need to put oil on both of these? I read up on the K&T and it doesn't say anything about putting oil on it.
Yes, both UNI and K&N filters require oil to trap dirt/dust. The oil you use is general different for foam vs paper/gauze filters but there are many different types available.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
I've ran both on my sport & race quads - never had an issue with either but I always ran a outerwear on the K&N. With the Maverick & Commanders you can't run the outerwear or at least I haven't seen one. I had such bad dust issues with my stock air filters in my Commander, I switched to K&N and never had any more problems but I would clean it pretty much after every dusty trip too. So far running the K&N in the dunes has been good in the Mav, no signs off dirt getting past filter. I do think I will get a UNI for when we ride in the mountains because the dust is so fine and think the UNI will work better.
I don't know about cleaning it so often. Even K&N will tell you their filters work better after they get a little dirty and I believe tests have proven that not only is that correct but that they are also more prone to passing dust when they are clean vs dirty. Sounds to me like they actually use the dirt as another air filtering media. That's my gripe with K&N. I like a clean filter but they essentially want me to leave it dirty up to a certain point. Doesn't work for me.

I vote UNI and will likely get one for my Mav soon.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Hey can I get 4 in a row here (YES!)? Just wondering if those of you who have changed to an aftermarket filter are running the CanAm 'post' filter at the same time.

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I like that maxima super tacky foam and fabric oil , with a UNI filter maybe ill try

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Question is who's selling them.

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Question is who's selling them.
eBay ! Both kinds on eBay search can am maverick / commander

Sent from my maverick using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
I'm running the post filter w/my K&N to be on the safe side.
That's good. Now you can be the test case for K&N. If you look at Glamisfan's previous post on the post filter he has pictures that show how much dust went past the stock filter and was stopped by the post filter. It will be interesting to see if you wind up being able to see any dust on your post filter after riding in dusty conditions. I know I had the same thing happen on my stock filter on my first weekend out. Really glad I installed the post filter because you can see how much dust was stopped from entering the engine.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts