Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 348 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok ! as some may know, I have wanted a locker in my ride for quite sometime. But the visco nor the qe are up to the task when it's really bad. Well at a funeral, ironically enough! I met a man that my cousin married. He happens to be a mechanical engineer student, and he has to take an already known product and make it better. So I threw this idea at him, he loved the idea! We r goin to buy a visco crack it open, concentrate on making it an open front to accept an E Locker and hopefully have a fix? Those of u that have possibly tried this before, or had these apart is there anything we should know or avoid out of the gate to save some time and effort? All input will be read and appreciated

Very shortly after talking to the engineer we found out that the distance between us (6 hrs.) And the time to complete such a project. Prolly just want goin to workout well. However after a weekend stay in brimstone, I actually got my brother on board the project! He's a heck of a fabricator and darn good mechanic and best of all he lives close! Just want to clear all this up for future reference.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
41 Posts
I would love to have one of these. Looking forward to tracking your progress.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 4

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It will be slow! I'm sure but I've always wanted this to happen, now with his help maybe just maybe it can?

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Anyone have a visco unit they'd sell in the name of research? Not looking for free,I will pay just looking for a good deal?

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You might want to read this, apparently the Visco Lok manufacturer is GKN and they make a locking system that may be compatible already.

Are you asking Can Am to add a manually selectable front diff lock? - Can-Am Commander Forum
Right! I was the one who talked to the head cheese over there, they do not and will not mess with small fries! They didn't want to damage theyr relationship with brp! So I tried that option as well

·
Registered
46 Posts
This may be way off base but then again it might help.

The Arctic Cats use a diff that has the ring gear on the same side as the can-am diffs so it should at least turn the right way.
Anyways the diff lock in these setups is spline engaged thus you flip a lever, a pin slides into the diff. You turn the wheels back and forth slightly and it the locker engages. I prefer it to the kawasaki style locker that requires you to drive forward to engage it (plus they're pretty bad to grenade if you hammer on them)

The main difference is how the 4x4 system works, on the arctic cats the front output shaft turns all the time, four wheel drive is engaged electronically by an actuator bolted to the diff. It works well even while moving however the can-am 4x4 engages inside the engine. Perhaps the diagram might give your guy a clue how they lock the diff in or provide some food for thought. I doubt grafting in arctic cat diffs would be the ideal solution since the 4x4 systems are so different (as well as axle and input shaft splines)

Heres an exploded view of the AC style front diffs.
CountryCat.com

Edit:
Part number 50 and 51 is where the diff lock cable hooks up, when the pin is pushed in, locking engages out = disengaged.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The splines are no issue at all,u can have custom axles made easily. The real kicker is gonna be gear ratio diffrence? But this is the kind of info I need to fuel his mind! I appreciate the comments. Some fellas have already brought up some valid points, do we will see wher this goes? (Fingers crossed)

·
Registered
412 Posts
I personally would NOT even consider a locker front dif .

the QE is Perfect for me, as i climb big hills, and run really fast trails.

The QE lets me run 4x4 all the time, it handles WAY better on trails by keeping the rear fron always jumping out sideways and doing excessive spinning ,

It HOOKS and out pulls ANY RZR that cant run 4x4 on fast trails, because the full locker just shoves them off the trail ( like a truck in 4x4 low lock ) its gota have one of the front wheels bucking and draging because they are trying to go different speeds while turning .

My QE locks up really quick when i need it on hills, mud,big rocks and whatever . But this is why the RZR guys dont run 4x4 in trails , and why i eat them alive in the fast trails .

So be carefull what you ask for . a Locker isnt all its thought to be unless your just a jacked up snorkelled mud guy

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It will be an open diff itll be set up much like a wildcat! With the option to lock. and when you are in rutted trails and 1 wheel is in the air off camber, that's wher the razrs smoke us! So I know the ups and downs but sometimes u need the front to dig! Period! So my goal is to have essentially 3 wheel drive or full locked.

·
Registered
412 Posts
It will be an open diff itll be set up much like a wildcat! With the option to lock. and when you are in rutted trails and 1 wheel is in the air off camber, that's wher the razrs smoke us! So I know the ups and downs but sometimes u need the front to dig! Period! So my goal is to have essentially 3 wheel drive or full locked.

Okay, that wouldnt be to bad, but im really happy with my QE, as it only turns about one rotation before locked, and no stopping to shift into lock mode.
It just fits my riding style and terrain perfect,

I realize a locker fit others better , hope it all works out so everybody can tune to ride their style .

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have a front locker out of a can-am commander.not a qe for 50 bucks
By locker do u mean front diff? Or do u mean the lil electric actuator? If it's the diff consider it sold! Get in touch at 573 200 9237

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok just a simple little update! We have devised a way to lock the diff up. But it is very crude right now, but it does lock. We. Are pretty darn far away from even remotely trying this in a machine, but sitting on the counter and doing it crudely it's working. Got some machine work ahead of us now! So just an update fellas don't give up on me this is gonna take a min.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just for those who may be curious? This will be an open diff, with a locker option much like the wildcat. U do not have to give up anything, that's the way I'd want it, and I'm sure u guys too.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I'm very interested in this project too. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
More and more dealers wholesale sexy lingerie from China instead of Thailand because of cheaper price and better quality. And it is not only opportunity but also challenge to the industry. Welcome to find cheap corsets on dear-lover.com and shiyingsexylingerie.com.

They do?? Good to know, I never did like peelin' off Taiwanese Lingerie anyway!

1 - 20 of 348 Posts