Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

Would you spend 1K for a selectable front diff locker to replace your Visco Lok unit?

• Yes

Votes: 22 81.5%
  • No

Votes: 5 18.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Edit/Update: A new poll has been posted that no longer asks about spending 1K on an aftermarket locker.

Please vote at this new poll if you want Can Am to add a manually selectable front diff lock!

http://www.maverickforums.net/forum/7-general-maverick-discussions/431-you-asking-can-am-add-manually-selectable-front-diff-lock.html

------------------------

Edit/Update: GKN is the company that manufactures the Visco Lok diff for Can Am. GKN also has already developed selectable locker technology that can be combined with the Visco Lok diff. It appears clear that Can Am only need ask GKN to make available a selectable locking diff and it would shortly be a done deal. This is surely the correct angle for us to pursue and is likely the only possible way the marketplace will ever see a Can Am selectable diff lock.

If you are among those who desire a selectable locker on your Can Am ATV or SxS unit, or are waiting for Can Am to add the selectable lock option before purchasing, then please contact Can Am directly and let them know!

You can use either this link: http://www.canamoffroad.com/community/my-canam-idea
or call the Can Am offices at: U.S.A.: (715) 848-4957
Canada: (819) 566-3366

Now is your chance to weigh in constructively and let Can Am know how much a selectable diff lock would mean to you!!!

---------------------------
Original post here:

Ok, so I'm considering a Maverick purchase. I'm convinced that the Maverick is as good as gets right now in the SxS market.

My intention here is not to start another debate on the virtues, or deficiencies, of the Visco Lok. Obviously a lot depends on your application and how you run your machine and the discussion tends to get religious. I'm sure some want the QE unit and will fork over the dough to replace the standard Visco Lok unit being shipped in the Maverick. Others may wait and hope the next Mav release will include the QE unit. Yet others are fine with the standard Visco.

For me, I believe (as I'm sure many do) the best possible solution is the standard Visco Lok unit alongside some sort of selectable lock override. It may be that modifying the Visco diff in this manner isn't possible and that the carrier internals (possibly including the carrier itself) may instead need to be totally replaced. The point of this thread isn't to discuss the technical specifics, as I see that discussion has now gone on for many years in a variety of forums. I know one guy down under actually built a prototype locking override unit, but I'm really not interested in a discussion of one-offs.

I've done some research and seen that a year or two back there was someone in contact with Eaton who was trying to convince them to make a selectable manual locker front diff to replace (or enhance) the Visco Lok unit. The last thread post was him saying that Eaton told him they weren't interested in considering development of the product because they would require way more confirmed demand in advance of R&D.

The point of this thread is to truly gauge confirmed interest in a selectable front locking diff. I'm convinced the Maverick will now garner a significant percentage of the sport SxS market (which has grown hugely as we all know) and that the sheer numbers of people interested COULD potentially cause Eaton to reconsider. With all of their expertise, I'm guessing it would probably only take these guys a handful of months of R&D work to solve the problem. But, they won't put in the effort and do it unless the demand is confirmed to be there.

I figure if the sport SxS industry number of units sold can be correlated with the expected adoption of Mavericks (which I think will shortly be eating heavily into the Polaris stranglehold), and multiplied by the number of existing and soon-to-be Maverick owners who definitely want a production manually selectable true locker unit then we can come up with some real numbers. I'm sure Commander (and maybe quad) owners will also have interest, so if you can steer some of those guys here to also chime in that might help too.

If and when the numbers here look good then I'll plan on approaching Eaton again (and/or Ox, ARB, etc.) and ask them to reevaluate the situation. Let's assume, to be reasonable, and in light of typical full size Dana/other selectable lockers that the unit would cost $1000.00

Would you spend 1K and buy a manually selectable front diff locker to replace your Visco Lok unit?

If so then please be sure to vote in the poll so we've got some hard numbers here as opposed to just thread comments. Comments are fine, but the poll number is key!

It's always possible that if we get enough positive feedback we could also approach Can Am and try to convince them to do the legwork and possibly provide a factory selectable locker option too.

No matter what, though, without sheer numbers weighing in about their desire for a fully selectable locker we don't stand much chance of seeing a production unit...

·
Registered
791 Posts
Whats wrong with the visco? I know the qe engages quicker but is it that important? I only used the manual locker in my rhino a few times.
If you only used the manual locker a few times you will probably be happy enough with the Regular Visco Lok. For those that ride technical, off-camber terrain the regular visco lok take to long to lock the front wheels.

The QE visco lok is a bandaid fix to the regular visco lok. It locks quickly but the tradeoffs include:
-stiffer steering in 2x4 and 4x4, adding stress to the steering components and likely making power steering necessary for most users

-increased turning radius in 2x4 and 4x4 because of the drag and binding created by a partially or fully locked front diff during a turn (much like trying to do a U-turn on dry pavement with your pickup in 4x4) This system locks based on a difference in wheel speed between the front wheels. So even on dry ground in 2x4, when you are trying to make a sharp turn the outer wheel turning faster than the inner wheel is enough to make the QE try and lock and bind up and skid the inside tire reducing your ability to turn sharply.

-BEST OPTION AND WHAT I WOULD LIKE TO SEE: Long story short, the ultimate answer is as the original poster is suggesting: A standard Visco - Lok diff like the one supplied on the Maverick with a full lock override at the flip of a switch would be the ultimate front diff. Easily better than any other system on the market.

-SECOND BEST: would be a selectable locker that is completely open when unlocked (similar to what Arctic Cat currently has but tougher)

-Third best is the QE visco lok diff, which is what I am going to have to settle for for now

I would spend $1000 dollars on a better locker no problem. I really hope this becomes a reality. This is the only real weak-point carry over remaining from the Commander to the Maverick IMO..

·
Registered
791 Posts
Just throwing this out there. You could install a cutting brake to the front tires.
I have thought about this as well. I would like to hear from someone who has tried this. Selectable locker would obviously still be far better but this could be a bandaid fix.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Eaton is a great company but why not approach the company that makes these diffs i posted it here somewhere? Just because can am doesnt give a shit they might if people willing to pay.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I have voiced my TOTAL dislike for the visco loc on here many times over. I want a locker in the front simular to Artic Cat or an auto locker like a Lockrite locker. The one issue with the lockrite is you will need to have power steering installed too. There are other companies out there to try and get them to make us a locker.

Eaton- Tons of diff locker, auto locker, electric locker
ARB- Air Locker
Spartan Locker
OX Locker
Lokka Diff
And this is just the ones off the top of my head. I have never had a Commander diff apart so I can't say how big the gears are in compairison to a Suzuki or something smaller like that.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
I understand why you guys want a selectable full locker. My kawi had a lever to increase the amount of lock. However when using it, power steering was required to make steering easier. At this point, I won't need it. For my style of riding I'm fine with the stock setup, but that also doesn't mean I won't want it I the future.

·
Registered
487 Posts
absolutely i would! 100% without a doubt, you give 1100 bucks for a qe front diff. that would still suck in comparison to a locker, then you could have the qe with a locker and it would the berries. so yes yes yes. i would

·
Registered
487 Posts
Ok, so I'm considering a Maverick purchase. I'm convinced that the Maverick is as good as gets right now in the SxS market.

My intention here is not to start another debate on the virtues, or deficiencies, of the Visco Lok. Obviously a lot depends on your application and how you run your machine and the discussion tends to get religious. I'm sure some want the QE unit and will fork over the dough to replace the standard Visco Lok unit being shipped in the Maverick. Others may wait and hope the next Mav release will include the QE unit. Yet others are fine with the standard Visco.

For me, I believe (as I'm sure many do) the best possible solution is the standard Visco Lok unit alongside some sort of selectable lock override. It may be that modifying the Visco diff in this manner isn't possible and that the carrier internals (possibly including the carrier itself) may instead need to be totally replaced. The point of this thread isn't to discuss the technical specifics, as I see that discussion has now gone on for many years in a variety of forums. I know one guy down under actually built a prototype locking override unit, but I'm really not interested in a discussion of one-offs.

I've done some research and seen that a year or two back there was someone in contact with Eaton who was trying to convince them to make a selectable manual locker front diff to replace (or enhance) the Visco Lok unit. The last thread post was him saying that Eaton told him they weren't interested in considering development of the product because they would require way more confirmed demand in advance of R&D.

The point of this thread is to truly gauge confirmed interest in a selectable front locking diff. I'm convinced the Maverick will now garner a significant percentage of the sport SxS market (which has grown hugely as we all know) and that the sheer numbers of people interested COULD potentially cause Eaton to reconsider. With all of their expertise, I'm guessing it would probably only take these guys a handful of months of R&D work to solve the problem. But, they won't put in the effort and do it unless the demand is confirmed to be there.

I figure if the sport SxS industry number of units sold can be correlated with the expected adoption of Mavericks (which I think will shortly be eating heavily into the Polaris stranglehold), and multiplied by the number of existing and soon-to-be Maverick owners who definitely want a production manually selectable true locker unit then we can come up with some real numbers. I'm sure Commander (and maybe quad) owners will also have interest, so if you can steer some of those guys here to also chime in that might help too.

If and when the numbers here look good then I'll plan on approaching Eaton again and ask them to reevaluate the situation. Let's assume, to be reasonable, and in light of typical full size Dana/other selectable lockers that the unit would cost $1000.00

Would you spend 1K and buy a manually selectable front diff locker to replace your Visco Lok unit?

If so then please be sure to vote in the poll so we've got some hard numbers here as opposed to just thread comments. Comments are fine, but the poll number is key!
also something to think about , not enough people have mavericks ! to understand how important in some situations a locker would be. so i thnk this thread also should go to the commander forum! you will get an overwhelming vote over there to show some demand! people over there are dying and chomping for this! please post this over there as well thanks!!!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Added Ox, ARB, etc. (as long as volume of interest looks reassuring then any locker company may make sense). Also added a reference to the possibility of approaching Can Am directly with the volume of interest.

This thread/poll has also now been posted to commanderforums and can-amforum.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I will be in the market for a sxs in the near future and the front diff is a major sticking point for me. I do mostly rock crawling and right now I will be buying an XP4 LE unless Can Am or the aftermarket can up with a solution.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Johnson Valley ORV Area. I have not had the chance to go there yet but I hope in a few years I will.
There is more to the Hammer trails than just KOH....If your into Rock Crawling it is one of the best places to go play.
As has been said don't forget the Commanders that might be interested in a locker. Also depending on the type of locker CanAm has ATV's that might like a better front diff.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Gkn make the visco loc they also make a locker, I've tried this afternoon to get in touch with someone about weather or not there interchangeable and If so how much but I've hit a brick wall. I'm not sure how to talk to these people, or how to get any answers cause nobody would talk to me, maybe one of y'all can get a little further

1 - 20 of 63 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.