Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok guys please explaine to me what this is im buying a 13 1000r !! so is this thing locked in 4 wheel or not ive been all over the place trying to figure this out couse if its not why would canam do this I don't want to rock crawl but I don't want to be stuck three wheeling either please explaine if anyone knows

·
Registered
45 Posts
The way the visco lock works is when you have it in 4wd it's pretty much in three wheel drive then when you get in a bind or in mud or something you'll get one front wheel spinning and after 4 or 5 turns it will kick in the other front tire. So it's not a true 4wd lock but it makes it a lot easier to steer when in 4wd thanks to it so you can really fly through the trails in 4wd without it pulling you everywhere. I do nothing but trail riding and hill climbing and I've never got stuck because how it works. If you get a 14 with dps I think the have the qe which means quick engaging and it kicks in the other front tire in less than one turn of the front wheel. This is the best I can explain it hope it helps.

Reactions: Carbondeath

·
Registered
45 Posts
Also the reason I think can am done it is to reduce us from breaking axles when getting in a bad bind.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
I was unhappy about this too but its been a non issue for me.

·
Registered
459 Posts
I have had zero issues with min.

·
Registered
162 Posts
All I have Hurd is how bad it is but I kind of like how it works. Been nothing but great for me and the way I use it.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
wow !! that's the info I was looking for I ride sand and log roads here in Oregon so sounds awesome for me > on the sand dous it matter if you run two different size tires front and back leaving it in two wheel of course !!

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
For most riders I think the Visco is fine, I personnaly will never own another Can Am without the QE. You will understand why if you rock crawl or do any mud riding with your machine. When you get one of the front wheels in the air, the tire in the air spins while the tire with traction doesn't engage just like an open diff but after 3-7 revolutions or whatever the front diff locks up. The problem is when it locks up it throws you to the side that has traction and off your line. Like a hard left or hard right. When on the rocks it can make for a bad day. With the QE it runs straight & true, it climbs so much better.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Be interested to see how the new lockers are working.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I bought the XRS DPS specifically to have the QE diff and power steering. I bet I don't get a 1/4 revolution out of either front tire before they are pulling.

Having had quads with lockers and "limited slip" front diffs, there was no way I was gonna rely on the base Visco.

Brandon

·
Registered
487 Posts
The problem with visco (qe) or not is its clutch based and pressure applied, and the worse u are stuck or in a bind the worse it's going to perform. On flat ground barely stuck, it works pretty good .get it off camber and it changes a little.get all the weight on a front tire, it changes alot! Same with large tires! At some point the clutches just won't do the job of engagement.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

1 - 12 of 12 Posts