Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to install the Viper Elite Winch right now. Have run into a couple of problems. First, after following the instructions, the winch sets up to have the winch cable release on the passenger side instead of the drivers side. I have always seen that release on the driver's side instead. Does it matter what side it is on? Second, I cannot figure out where to mount the wireless receiver module and the contactor module on my maverick. For those of you that have already installed your winches, could you let me know where you mounted those two modules?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Just received mine today and read the manual quickly, I read the 'motor' is mounted to the passenger side which puts the release on the driver side.

Am I not reading that right? Seems normal to me but like I said I never installed it yet.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

·
Registered
256 Posts
I put the controll for the remote by my right knee on center console. Just under the dash where I can see the light when I push the button. Rout the wires up over the top alongside the air box to the upper center dash. Then wrap cable around edge of dash opening. Upper center cover will cover it.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
256 Posts
I used the long set of wires and put the contactor on the bar infront of the battery box by running the wires along the top of center console. That puts the contactor up as high and dry as possible

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I used the long set of wires and put the contactor on the bar infront of the battery box by running the wires along the top of center console. That puts the contactor up as high and dry as possible

So you put it between the battery and the seats? How did you make it fit? Doesn't seem to have room there on mine. Thinking about putting it on the same bar but under the center console.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
256 Posts
The square bar that runs midways height in front of bat box. There is plastic flap to cover it. Put it on top of bar and let plastic in front cover it

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Spend the $40 and get the dash switch from them. I did and it fits perfectly. Its VERY high quality, and plug and play....meaning dropped in effortlessly.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have the dash switch and installed it already. Looks really good. Just trying to figure out where I want to mount things now. I will probably mount the contactor on the bar in front of the battery box but under the center console and the wireless receiver up by the drivers right knee if I can get it to fit with the power steering box right there. Thanks for everyone's help.

·
Registered
103 Posts
photo 5.jpg photo 4(1).jpg photo 3(1).jpg

Hope this helps you some....I attached mine under hood to try to keep it as dry/clean as possible. I just used yellow and blue to go from battery to front and black/red to go from conductor to winch

·
Registered
103 Posts
Since the elite comes with the wireless controller that also needs to be mounted....I mounted it on passenger side, bottom side of glove box. It was the only plastic that I found that was sturdy. I drilled the holes in bottom of glove box, mounted it, then ran all the wires through a small hole at the very top of passenger side floor board. They come out right in the opening behind instrument panel.

·
Registered
103 Posts
My cables run to the motor on the passenger side...the release is on drivers side. The synthetic spools from the bottom...

·
Registered
103 Posts
One other thing...I used all of the wiring that came with the winch...switch and all. The only thing I used on the factory wiring harness was running my two positive wires that are only hot when the key is on to the original green harness plug in behind dash. I just crimped some plugs onto the red wires from viper kit and plugged them into the two places on green plug that were hot when key comes on. I used my test light but just so it is easier for you...the back side of plug will have two red wires running into it. I checked them and they are only hot when key is on...I used those two slots.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
One other thing...I used all of the wiring that came with the winch...switch and all. The only thing I used on the factory wiring harness was running my two positive wires that are only hot when the key is on to the original green harness plug in behind dash. I just crimped some plugs onto the red wires from viper kit and plugged them into the two places on green plug that were hot when key comes on. I used my test light but just so it is easier for you...the back side of plug will have two red wires running into it. I checked them and they are only hot when key is on...I used those two slots.
Thank you for all of the information. It will be a great help when I finish the job this week. This latest info is the only thing that has me confused. I guess will have to take a look the wires and see them before I will understand it.

·
Registered
103 Posts
photo 2(1).JPG

This is the factory winch wiring that is set up for the warn winch. On the back side of this, you will see five wires running into it. Two of them are red. When you take all of your wiring out for your viper, you will have a 12 in red wire coming from the switch that they send with the maverick kit, it will need to be connected to a hot wire, that is only hot when the key is on...there is also a fused red wire coming from wireless box (the one that I mounted under glovebox), that will need to be connected to a hot wire when key is on. Those two red wires, I just placed some ends on them that I could place in this green plug. I placed those two wires in the slots that have the red factory wires running to them...does that make sense? This just prevents you from trying to wire up two switched hot wires...that is the only part of the factory wiring that I used.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
View attachment 4853

This is the factory winch wiring that is set up for the warn winch. On the back side of this, you will see five wires running into it. Two of them are red. When you take all of your wiring out for your viper, you will have a 12 in red wire coming from the switch that they send with the maverick kit, it will need to be connected to a hot wire, that is only hot when the key is on...there is also a fused red wire coming from wireless box (the one that I mounted under glovebox), that will need to be connected to a hot wire when key is on. Those two red wires, I just placed some ends on them that I could place in this green plug. I placed those two wires in the slots that have the red factory wires running to them...does that make sense? This just prevents you from trying to wire up two switched hot wires...that is the only part of the factory wiring that I used.
Makes perfect sense, thank you. Is there also a ground wire in that as well? If not, I will find one.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts