Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey Guys heres a few videos I took last week while on Vacation at Glamis with my Girls. To prove a point that multiple Paddles are really not needed. People that have been sold a Bunch BS by FSS that your 100+ HP SXS needs a bunch of Paddles are Crazy and Some are Plain Venomous about it. They have to defend there Bad Purchase since they got sold a bill of goods and after spending $2600 on the wrong tire combo who can blame them. Im sure the wife wont sign off for a new set of Tires. LOL
I mounted up a spare set of front Buffs on the Rear of my Max which is not a light weight car either and I had the Kids onboard. So we went Duning and even did it in 2wd and 4wd. I just left the air pressure at 10 or so.

This Video I run around a Bowl and Hardly even get on the Gas and it goes no problem.

This Video is running up Comp Hill at Glamis in 2wd.

This Video is Running up Comp in 4wd.

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
that's pretty impressive for no paddles....maybe you could test it in the mud next :wink:

·
Registered
9,349 Posts
It is like the old video of a rhino going up olds with smoothies.

What size tires are you running? Are you running on 8" wide rims? Have you tried the Blasters on your Maverick?

I not trying to start a what is better argument. Just curious on your set up and thoughts of the blasters on the Maverick.

I will tell you the sticker shock of the Blasters and Skats on a 14" rim made me fall out of my chair.

·
Registered
3,638 Posts
I've got blasters on mine and they're awesome. My clutching needs to be tweaked for the high range on my car but they pull hard and are really predictable in the corners

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
The only problem I have with smoothies in the rear is no take off and no push once you start to slow down on the hill. Too much tire spin which you can see on your first video start, but I realize you are just trying to make a point here.

·
Registered
5,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It is like the old video of a rhino going up olds with smoothies.

What size tires are you running? Are you running on 8" wide rims? Have you tried the Blasters on your Maverick?

I not trying to start a what is better argument. Just curious on your set up and thoughts of the blasters on the Maverick.

I will tell you the sticker shock of the Blasters and Skats on a 14" rim made me fall out of my chair.
There is no argument as to whats Better. LOL I have been around every tire made for sand and everyone we ride with has Skats and theres always the one guy in the group who thinks another brand looks promising and he buys and trys them and then we stick a set of Skats on and the old molded tires are up for sale with a caption that reads like this, Selling My STUs cause Im gonna Turbo my Car and I will need more Paddles. LOL Hehehehehehe sound familiar. Yeah The 14" tire and wheel combos are spendy as Hell. I still cant believe the people still buy those Molded tires. But usually those are Inexperienced duners and there not concerned about really riding hard and Fast. Almost any paddle tire will push your car around the Sand Pile but performance minded people that want the Best Tire setup end up with Skat-Traks. Johnny at UTVinc never runs a STU on his SXSs cause Johnny knows what works and He is a Driver to.
Just one Example. But Seriously a heavy tire setup all the way around your car hurts performance from launch and transitioning at the bottom of bowls to cruising or top end runs. Weight kills a SXS since there low on HP every lil bit helps.

·
Registered
5,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've got blasters on mine and they're awesome. My clutching needs to be tweaked for the high range on my car but they pull hard and are really predictable in the corners

Find me in Glamis on MLK and I will put a set of Skats on for you and try them out and tell me your car doesn't feel better at the end of the Day.

Reactions: mearsman

·
Registered
5,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The only problem I have with smoothies in the rear is no take off and no push once you start to slow down on the hill. Too much tire spin which you can see on your first video start, but I realize you are just trying to make a point here.
Yeah that was 2wd and I was having fun spinning them like crazy everywhere.LOL. I duned them in 2wd and 4wd to. In 2wd you gotta keep your speed up. In 4wd I can go easy and its like having paddles with more slip though.

·
Registered
3,638 Posts

Find me in Glamis on MLK and I will put a set of Skats on for you and try them out and tell me your car doesn't feel better at the end of the Day.
What rpms are you seeing flat out with the blasters? I'm at 7300

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
671 Posts
I had Blasters and they were dogs. I couldn't get rid of them fast enough. I run Doonz. They are very light. I'm just leery of running Scats because of the rocks at the dunes I ride in.

·
Registered
9,349 Posts
The Skat-Trak 26x 12.5 with 7 paddles I see about 7900 RPM.
How wide of a rim to your use? If you are using a narrow rim you are going to get the tire to spin faster and allow the RPMs to stay up.

I did not believe in the Blasters until I took my friends XP900 for a ride in the dunes. At least on the XP1000 the 28" blasters float really well and do not dig in.

Would a 28" blaster or the 30" Skat fit on the Maverick? It would be neat to have two Maverick's to compare or even two XP1000s.

·
Registered
5,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I had Blasters and they were dogs. I couldn't get rid of them fast enough. I run Doonz. They are very light. I'm just leery of running Scats because of the rocks at the dunes I ride in.
The Buffed tires are not as prone to Punctures as you might think. I ran a set of triple Buffs down the Canal to Gordons and lots of little medium size rocks and I was worried I might get a flat from a Stick more than the rocks. but no problem so far. I told my girls to watch out for trees and the fallen tree limbs cause those are the worst culprit for flat tires.

·
Registered
9,349 Posts
Mearsman,

Did you cut the paddles? If you are running full paddles you may want to consider going to a 80/20 cut. I know on the XP1000 the full paddles are too much, but the 80/20 seems to be the sweet spot. I talked to several XP1000 owners before I bought my set up. They all said the full paddle was too much and were much happier after the paddles were cut down to a 80/20.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts