Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
it was a great weekend in the sand for sure with a couple little hicups.

it started off by my Dodge fan clutch wiring getting caught in the fan blade at the Glamis Beach Store befor i even got to camp. I cut the wiring out of the way and rolled into camp.

i unloaded the Maverick and went for a rip with the sandcars.

first stop

second stop

went to leave after first stop and no power to the dash. Checked all fuses with a test light, pulled all fuses and looked at them, all looked good. So out came out the tow rope and the sand shower began. Once back at camp i pulled each fuse and checked them with a multi meter, i found the dash fuse to be weak and not connecting 100%.

back in the sand again with a little concern of if i will make it. We made it halfway to the night hill and BOOM!! the secondary bolt came out (I have not touched this bolt since the last recall). I broke out the tools and managed to get the cover off and nothing was broken but the helix is pretty trashed. Back on the road and dunning, well for about 1/2 mile. Then BOOM!! again, secondary clutch bolt came out again.

This time we decided just to tow me back to camp. Hooked up tow rope and got 20' and burried the sand car to frame. There was no lifting this 3200# beast out of the sand. Called another sandcar at Olds hill and gave him the GPS coordinates and half an hour later he showed up.

Hooked up sandcar to sand car and pulled second car out and first one got stuck. Then in the roost the second car could nto see and ran into the back of the first car. Bent the bypass and coil over shock shafts. Damn!!

Then we decided that the sand was too soft to tow me and lets try and put my secondary clutch together again. I fought getting the clutch cover off again and installed the secondary, this time using a long prybar to tighten the bolt. Walla, it worked!! WE cautiously rolled into camp at 2:30pm, tired and pissed off.

Next morning, i snapped a couple of sun up shots

Next was to pull Secondary, loctite bolt and torqued to 15psi + 180*. Off to Olds hill to try it out. VROOM!!!!! Made it to Olds ran up the left side and down the middle. Turnned around half way down and motored up the steep part. BOOOM!!!!! again and i hear belt pieces flying around in the clutch cover. Shiat, blew a belt now.

I pulled the cover and swapped in a new belt, but stripped out the secondary bolt spreader. Had to muscle the belt on. Back in the sand again!!!!

Cruised back to camp, breaking the belt in carefully. Made it no problem. Decided to not go for a night run and turnned in early.

Sunday morning get up and hit the sand again. This run was going to be hard and fast just to see if she will stay together. Ran the Maverick hard towards the big dunes, seen some black smoke and decided to investigate. We rolled up on alot of lookyloo's and noone appeard to be hurt. Looks like a Polaris bbq.

Next was a quick rip to Olds and then through the "roller coaster freeway" towards Big bowl and kept going to Osbourne overlook. Stopped for a quick cooldown and sunset pics.

since everything was running good we decided to backtrack through the big stuff and head to camp. Great run again hitting 60mph on the big stuff. yeee-haw!!!!!!

made it back to camp and decided to call it a great trip in the dunes. Packed up and drove home at night while the temps were cool for my truck with a limp fan clutch.

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
WOW.....you had a rough go of it....I am impressed you had such a positive attitude about the whole weekend after so many issues....

·
Premium Member
8,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
oh and i lost one of my Quicklight whips, i popped right out of the brass quick disconnect. It shold be a warranty deal i hope.

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
oh and i lost one of my Quicklight whips, i popped right out of the brass quick disconnect. It shold be a warranty deal i hope.
I guess a crappy day at the dunes is better than any day at work!

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Damn, sounds like alot of excitement for such a short trip.
So how did the modified paddles do?

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
wow u had some fun out there huh glad u mad the best of it , still sounds fun tho !

the sand and heat is a killer, lots of the xp1's and xp1-4's blowing belts like crazy out there to

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
"I pulled the cover and swapped in a new belt, but stripped out the secondary bolt spreader. Had to muscle the belt on. Back in the sand again!!!!"

Did the same thing when I blew my belt at Pismo. Put a time sert in there so THAT would never happen again. PITA getting the belt on without spreading the sheaves aint it...

Now I got the STM secondary...It's a pain cause you have to pull the secondary bolt to use the clutch tool.

·
Registered
964 Posts
"I pulled the cover and swapped in a new belt, but stripped out the secondary bolt spreader. Had to muscle the belt on. Back in the sand again!!!!"

Did the same thing when I blew my belt at Pismo. Put a time sert in there so THAT would never happen again. PITA getting the belt on without spreading the sheaves aint it...

Now I got the STM secondary...It's a pain cause you have to pull the secondary bolt to use the clutch tool.
Depending if you want to carry a cheap prybar or not you don't have to take the clutch off with the STM. I just use a prybar ( mine is actually a big approx 20" screwdriver type)on the bottom near the frame and push in on the helix mounting area and remove/install the belt, I have never used the tool yet.

·
Registered
5,752 Posts
I used a prybar on my rhino too. Worked great.
Hey mike I saw you leaving the drags on Saturday and went to find ya but you took off with the sand cars towards the Sand highway and I peeled off to catch my guys. We were the maxes racing and beating up on those XP1k 4 seaters. bou they were not happy everytime I passed them on the big END, LOL. You probably saw us racing them. One Guy was pissed that I was beating him so we traded cars cause he weighed about 350 and he would catch me in my Max and I jumped him in his XP1k 4 . LOL. Racing against my Shit in his Shit. To Funny.

·
Registered
2019 max R turbo
835 Posts
Hey mike I saw you leaving the drags on Saturday and went to find ya but you took off with the sand cars towards the Sand highway and I peeled off to catch my guys. We were the maxes racing and beating up on those XP1k 4 seaters. bou they were not happy everytime I passed them on the big END, LOL. You probably saw us racing them. One Guy was pissed that I was beating him so we traded cars cause he weighed about 350 and he would catch me in my Max and I jumped him in his XP1k 4 . LOL. Racing against my Shit in his Shit. To Funny.
I saw your gang of Maxs racing a gang of XP1k 4 seaters, some crazy shit down the drags. I met mega at the drags after spotting his white roll cage and racing him down the drags. Mega your a nice guy who had some serious bad luck at the dunes this weekend, hopefully the next outting will be smoother for you.

Mega do you know that guys who we were was racing with the XP down the drags? He had some good mods on his XP, not quite good enough though...lol

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
I saw your gang of Maxs racing a gang of XP1k 4 seaters, some crazy shit down the drags. I met mega at the drags after spotting his white roll cage and racing him down the drags. Mega your a nice guy who had some serious bad luck at the dunes this weekend, hopefully the next outting will be smoother for you.

Mega do you know that guys who we were was racing with the XP down the drags? He had some good mods on his XP, not quite good enough though...lol
how far ahead of mega were u when u guys raced

·
Registered
2019 max R turbo
835 Posts
Mega clutch wasn't right and had other issues, beside no stock Mav is going to run with a properly tune full STM clutch Mav. Under load is where the stock clutch is the weakest, burning belts and slipping and losing power to the wheels. The STM setup shines during heavy load..ie climbing Olds, running the dunes, accelerating hard during duning.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
I personally don't see any reason to use Loctite on the primary. Aftermarket primaries are one-piece design so they can't over tighten the bolts like the stock primary. But the stock secondary definitely needs Loctite on it. I don't know about the aftermarket secondaries.

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
For those people who have installed the QSC or STM sec and pri, did you use red loctite? I didnt and now I'm wondering if I should.
Follow the instructions provided by QSC and/or STM for installation. Neither call for Loctite on the mounting bolts and have a different torque spec for each bolt as well....

·
Registered
2,067 Posts

What's up with stripping the threads using the secondary spreader tool? Something happen when the belt shreds that causes the secondary to be to tight or is there a defect in the design? Just curious in case I have same issue down the road and I'm not sure what Andy means by 'time sert'.??

·
Premium Member
8,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
What's up with stripping the threads using the secondary spreader tool? Something happen when the belt shreds that causes the secondary to be to tight or is there a defect in the design? Just curious in case I have same issue down the road and I'm not sure what Andy means by 'time sert'.??
dunno why.

i would be leary of what Andy suggests, he is a wood butcher and those guys think wood is the answer to everything. haha

·
Registered
410 Posts
Haha! a time sert is new thread insert that screws into the stripped hole giving you threads again! most often used on aluminum oil pan drain plug threads that get stripped.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts