Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

41 - 60 of 87 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
My dad had a 175 that he raced enduro's on the longest race was the Tonto 250. I cant imagine racing that distance on a new bike much less something from that era ! He always said it was the fastest dirt bike he had owned . I would sit in front of him on it at 5 yrs old sometimes he gave me the throttle, until I almost lost him off the back lol. Good memories!

·
Premium Member
10,019 Posts
My dad had a 175 that he raced enduro's on the longest race was the Tonto 250. I cant imagine racing that distance on a new bike much less something from that era ! He always said it was the fastest dirt bike he had owned . I would sit in front of him on it at 5 yrs old sometimes he gave me the throttle, until I almost lost him off the back lol. Good memories!
"That era" had 4, possibly 5" of suspension LOL! We all had the greatest time! And they were 2 strokes!

·
Premium Member
2,685 Posts
"That era" had 4, possibly 5" of suspension LOL! We all had the greatest time! And they were 2 strokes!
Braaap !!!! 2 strokes rock !!! I miss the good old days, promising, that sweet smell of castor oil. REAL high octane Sunoco fuel. Memories ....

I never owned a 4 stroke dirt bike, only a few hours on a 4 stroke. Maybe the 4 stroke is a better powerhouse? I wouldn't know. I'll never forget

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
10,019 Posts
Braaap !!!! 2 strokes rock !!! I miss the good old days, promising, that sweet smell of castor oil. REAL high octane Sunoco fuel. Memories ....

I never owned a 4 stroke dirt bike, only a few hours on a 4 stroke. Maybe the 4 stroke is a better powerhouse? I wouldn't know. I'll never forget

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Still own 2 strokes, 250R, and a KTM 150 SX. I don't like 4 strokes, never have. 2 stroke is so easy to work on also. Slowly, they are starting to become relevant again. They were, and always will be popular though.

·
Registered
5,704 Posts
Still own 2 strokes, 250R, and a KTM 150 SX. I don't like 4 strokes, never have. 2 stroke is so easy to work on also. Slowly, they are starting to become relevant again. They were, and always will be popular though.

The beauty of the 2 stroke was the simplicity of the engine and most kids could work on the engine and actually learn on it and it was not stupid expensive. You could burn it down and have it built and runnig by the following weekend for a few hundred bucks. burn up or have an internal failure on these new 4 strokers and god damn you better have thousnd dollar bills laying around or your done riding for a while.

·
Premium Member
2,685 Posts
The beauty of the 2 stroke was the simplicity of the engine and most kids could work on the engine and actually learn on it and it was not stupid expensive. You could burn it down and have it built and runnig by the following weekend for a few hundred bucks. burn up or have an internal failure on these new 4 strokers and god damn you better have thousnd dollar bills laying around or your done riding for a while.
I first learned how to rebuild the top end of a Bultaco when I was 13. Ever winter we would tear down our bikes down to frame, best learning experience I ever learned as a kid (besides to NEVER talk sh#t to a Chicago cop, or find yourself in an alley getting your little smart azz eat good). LOL, nowadays kids would need therapy, mental med's and a "safe place".

One of my first sponsors was White Brothers suspension. They did much better than factory, but compared to today's technology ..... no wonder my back is all screwed up. Once upon a time I knew it all, was 10 foot tall and invincible. Nowadays I'm down to 5' 10" and smart enough to know I was a reckless & ignorant juvenile delinquent, lucky I made it to 21.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Raced against that bike back in the day. Good bike, but it was funny seeing that line up against the Hondas, Yamahas, Huskys, Maicos, and Bultacos.

Look how far they've come!
I remember that bike's coming out party. In Phoenix they put one of the local fast guys on it, Gary Jones I think. It had a fast motor, and was good so long as you didn't have to turn it. It wasn't around long as I recall.

·
Premium Member
10,019 Posts
I remember that bike's coming out party. In Phoenix they put one of the local fast guys on it, Gary Jones I think. It had a fast motor, and was good so long as you didn't have to turn it. It wasn't around long as I recall.
Yeah, but Jimmy Ellis won quite a few races on it. I can't remember, but he might have won one of the first 250 SX Championships on it?

·
Premium Member
10,019 Posts
Amen brother! True words were never spoken!

·
Premium Member
3,060 Posts
Have you guys seen that Polaris threw a fit and demanded that all the top 6 x3’s have their engines pulled for inspection.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
6,849 Posts
Have you guys seen that Polaris threw a fit and demanded that all the top 6 x3’s have their engines pulled for inspection.

Word on the street is "Sand Shart" has something to with this. I have no proof or evidence of any kind, but he is a Polaris fan and you know how those guys are.... I don't know about you guys but I'm getting my lantern and pitchfork out! Tim

·
Premium Member
3,060 Posts
Was it all 6 places, or the top 3 of 6?
The top 6 from what I am seeing on book face from a couple of the teams. The top 3 would only put 3 more CanAm teams on the podium if they actually got booted hah. So I am pretty sure it’s top 6 for the fact Polaris finished 7th.

·
Registered
9,240 Posts

It was only the Top 3 finishers that have to pull the engines for inspection.

How do you know who filed the protest that is causing the engines to be inspected? It could of been any racer in the class. I believe the person that files the protest has to pay for the inspection. Only racers that would benefit from the protest of one of the top 3 losing a podium spot would be those that finished 4th-6th.

Hell maybe the Class 10 guys were pissed a UTV finished 21st over all or a trophy truck was mad it got passed. Lol!

Having engines inspected is nothing new. Asking any of the desert racers. Kinda funny they ask to inspect an engine in the turbo class. They are allowed to run tunes.

Reactions: AZSteele

·
Registered
9,240 Posts
Word on the street is "Sand Shart" has something to with this. I have no proof or evidence of any kind, but he is a Polaris fan and you know how those guys are.... I don't know about you guys but I'm getting my lantern and pitchfork out! Tim
I am going to laugh my ass off when it turns out it is another Can Am racer that filed the protest.

Reactions: AZSteele
41 - 60 of 87 Posts