Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just changed my oil at 10 hrs and after change everything sounded fine. Went on a hour or so ride and mostly kept it around 40mph around 5500rpm with the occasional wide open burst. Next day went to go for another ride and noticed a little valve clatter. I'm using 15w50 Mobil one synthetic it's around 60-80 degrees when I ride. The coldest I'll ride it is around 40 or so. Could it be the oil being to thick or do my valves need adjusted.

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
I was advised to wait until you have around 17 hours or so on the engine before checking the valves because they (the dealer) weren't seeing any needing adjustment at the 10 hour mark but started to see them needing it around 15 to 20 hours.....At 18 hours mine were all in spec but were adjusted to the center of the spec for good measure.

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
I'm running Royal Purple 10/40 syn. I check my valve clearances when I did my own 10 hr service and they were perfect. Never have had any valve clatter, but I probably ought to check them again befor dune season.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Have you ever heard of a thicker oil making this happen. Should I go to a 10 40 or 5 40

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
Does it go away once it is warmed up?

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
I say to thick of oil for the weather , the oil isn't getting to the top end good enough on cold starts

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
I say to thick of oil for the weather , the oil isn't getting to the top end good enough on cold starts
especially true if the noise disipates after it warms up.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No it still does it maybe not as bad. Kinda reminds me of a slight lifter peck in a car or truck

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
No it still does it maybe not as bad. Kinda reminds me of a slight lifter peck in a car or truck
Did you happen to wrap your exhaust headers…the reason I ask is my buddy did and a few hours of riding later, developed a small leak at the head flange……loosened up both ends of the exhaust header…retightened the cylinder side first and then the other and problem solved……sounded like a valve tapping….

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Did you happen to wrap your exhaust headers…the reason I ask is my buddy did and a few hours of riding later, developed a small leak at the head flange……loosened up both ends of the exhaust header…retightened the cylinder side first and then the other and problem solved……sounded like a valve tapping….
Sure did, now that you mention it, it does remind me of a exhaust leak. Did he loosen up front and rear or just the front. I'm definitely tryng this tomorrow. I'll report back if that fixes the pecking noise.

Thanks man, your always extremely helpful.

Nathan

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
Sure did, now that you mention it, it does remind me of a exhaust leak. Did he loosen up front and rear or just the front. I'm definitely tryng this tomorrow. I'll report back if that fixes the pecking noise.

Thanks man, your always extremely helpful.

Nathan
No problem…glad I could help……loosen both ends so you don't put a bind on it when tightening it to the cylinder. Make sure it is seated squarely against the cylinder and retighten. Completely tighten the cylinder side first and then retighten the spring loaded end as it is a ball and socket connection anyways with a Grayfoil gasket so it will seal at most any angle...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts