Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. I’m relatively new to the forum and have done my intro post. I’m in the market to buy a new Max X3. But Can Am has given me so many choices. My big question is 64” wide or 72” wide? I see MVUMs that show trails restricted to 50” width, so I’m past that restriction with either machine. My family will be making trips to Moab hopefully often, but I still want to do some weekend riding and day rides in Colorado. Does anyone with the 72” model find themselves restricted on their local rides?

Thanks!

·
Registered
403 Posts
I'm not sure where you are riding in CO that limits to 50", so I won't comment on that. I have ridden in several areas of Gunnison, Lake City, Oury and Crested Butte and have not run into any such restrictions. You should be fine in those areas with no width restrictions. I will say that shorter wheel base machines are more popular in those areas.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not sure where you are riding in CO that limits to 50", so I won't comment on that. I have ridden in several areas of Gunnison, Lake City, Oury and Crested Butte and have not run into any such restrictions. You should be fine in those areas with no width restrictions. I will say that shorter wheel base machines are more popular in those areas.
Not riding at all just yet. Saw some MVUMs have a restricted width 50” trail in the legend. I don’t recall what maps I was looking at though. I’ve found other discussions in the forum after posting this and I think it’s a very small segment of trails limited to that 50” width and no other concerns with 64” or 72”. I think I’m gonna be going with the 72”.

·
Registered
961 Posts
50 wide is generally state,federal,national parks, and they are in most states. Next width is 60/62for some state parks. They have posts at the trailheads that are that wide so that you can’t enter , very common .

if you aren’t running tight woods trails then 72 is 100% the way to go

·
Registered
78 Posts
National Forest trails which are width-restricted are generally either 50" or 60". So, 64" or 72" is essentially the same thing, at least in terms of trail width restrictions.

·
Registered
49 Posts
So I live in Northern Colorado and own a 72 inch X3 XRS. I have had no problems as far as trails are concerned. Most of the wheeling around here is for jeeps so we fit just fine. There are a few places where the trees are pretty close to the sides of the machine but if you are careful you'll be fine with a larger car. Ill never go back to a 64 inch car.

·
Premium Member
1,957 Posts
So I live in Northern Colorado and own a 72 inch X3 XRS. I have had no problems as far as trails are concerned. Most of the wheeling around here is for jeeps so we fit just fine. There are a few places where the trees are pretty close to the sides of the machine but if you are careful you'll be fine with a larger car. Ill never go back to a 64 inch car. View attachment 263208
That's one bad ass cage you got there !

1 - 7 of 7 Posts