Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heading to Coos Bay and its been a long time since my last visit. Are there any maps available that show trails from South, Houser, to the North?

·
Registered
10 Posts
The OnX Offroad app should take care of that for you. Super detailed and live 3D view available. You can also download maps offline so they're available even without service.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
UTV Takeover Coos Bay has come and gone.
We got to the property, at Houser, the Sunday before and got some riding in. Not a lot of people yet, the sand was reasonably soft on the tops, but the hollows were damp and rutted, and the beach was smooth because of the tides.
The sand camps had a few on Tuesday, and then most on Wednesday and Thursday.
The ATV short course was won by a 25yo motocross racer from our camp.

Friday morning I met up with PNWTrails, walking in with a helmet and rain gear. v v v .

Anyone going to UTV Takeover and would be receptive to hosting a completely new person to all of this for a day of the event?

Strongly considering jumping into a X3, looking to get a little background and perspective before blindly getting into it, and this seems like an immersive experience to get a good taste to observe everything and see what it has to offer.
Got him a wrist band, and signed up for test rides with PoPo and Can-Am. We took out Can-Am, RC and a RS with Smart Shocks. Then swapped half way and were able to get a feel for each. For me, I didn't see much difference in each smart shock mode, but a slow ride with knobbies didn't compare to my car with paddles. His PoPo test ride I think was a disappointment compared to the Can-Am!!
Took him out for a ride in my RS and by this time the sand was a little rough.
Dropped him off for a few events and went back to camp to get my wife, about 4 miles to Houser, 4 miles back. Shuttled each to different events, walked vendors row, etc.
He seamed like a nice young man, so we offered him a bed for the night so he could see more on Saturday. By this time the sand was destroyed because of cross traffic on the moist sand.
I believe he got a good taste of the sand, the events and crowds, even though he's more interested in woods riding.
We stayed longer and got home late Wednesday night and are still unpacking, doing laundry and sleeping in. I found the roof of my gazebo blown off from a storm so I'm fixing that too.
Overall a good time, good camp fires, reasonably good weather, and good friends with maybe a new one, PNW. I'm sure PNW will chime in with his experience.

·
Registered
17 Posts
UTV Takeover Coos Bay has come and gone.
We got to the property, at Houser, the Sunday before and got some riding in. Not a lot of people yet, the sand was reasonably soft on the tops, but the hollows were damp and rutted, and the beach was smooth because of the tides.
The sand camps had a few on Tuesday, and then most on Wednesday and Thursday.
The ATV short course was won by a 25yo motocross racer from our camp.

Friday morning I met up with PNWTrails, walking in with a helmet and rain gear. v v v .

Got him a wrist band, and signed up for test rides with PoPo and Can-Am. We took out Can-Am, RC and a RS with Smart Shocks. Then swapped half way and were able to get a feel for each. For me, I didn't see much difference in each smart shock mode, but a slow ride with knobbies didn't compare to my car with paddles. His PoPo test ride I think was a disappointment compared to the Can-Am!!
Took him out for a ride in my RS and by this time the sand was a little rough.
Dropped him off for a few events and went back to camp to get my wife, about 4 miles to Houser, 4 miles back. Shuttled each to different events, walked vendors row, etc.
He seamed like a nice young man, so we offered him a bed for the night so he could see more on Saturday. By this time the sand was destroyed because of cross traffic on the moist sand.
I believe he got a good taste of the sand, the events and crowds, even though he's more interested in woods riding.
We stayed longer and got home late Wednesday night and are still unpacking, doing laundry and sleeping in. I fount the roof of my gazebo blown off from a storm so I'm fixing that too.
Overall a good time, good camp fires, reasonably good weather, and good friends with maybe a new one, PNW. I'm sure PNW will chime in with his experience.
HUGE THANK YOU to DEZPERADO!!!

I am 100% new to all of this, and he completely went out of his way to show me around the whole Boxcar area and answer more specific detailed questions than a single person should have to endure. And he did so happily with a smile on his face! What a patient guy!

I have never been around many off road or sand vehicles before, so having someone be so open, patient, and enthusiastic about the topic was absolutely a god send for someone like me that is curious about everything and especially the little details and minutia associated with SXSs and specifically all ancillary details related to X3s.

I think I got a pretty good exposure to the sand, and having the UTV Takeover and events compressed a lot of detail into a very short amount of time.

Can’t say thank you enough, very VERY grateful that you would be so kind to even consider letting me tag along.

If anyone possibly has any good tips on finding a Quality Used X3 in the PNW/Portland Oregon area, I am looking to pick one up with cash in hand!

I think/know from observation the used market really shot up recently, so if anyone has any good leads or has some advice where to be looking specifically or even word of mouth, I would love to find something clean locally if possible.

Ideally looking for a 72” R/RR machine, something with smart lock so a 18.5 or above XRS, preferably if I can get my hands on a decent XRC 2018+, ideally a reasonably priced 2020 XRC RR would be my ideal preference, but for the right price I would closely look at other models that fit inside that window of opportunity.

THANK YOU to DEZPERADO! More thankful than I can really describe on here!
Hopefully I will be out there turning fuel into smiles with you soon :)

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You're very welcomed, I'm glad you got the experience you were hoping for, as long as you didn't mind hanging around with a 73yo geezer.
You'll learn one thing about forums, we like spending OPM (other peoples money). And this sport will empty your wallet.
You have seen the sand at it's worst, other times of the year and other areas have better sand. I don't want to say my favorite and have others crowd in there.
Good luck with your search, people may be inclined to sell now that the PNW weather is changing. I'll keep my eyes open, keep in touch with what you find.

Reactions: PNWTrails

·
Registered
17 Posts
Thats great to read, if the sand gets noticeably better, that will make me excited to see what it can be like when the conditions are just right and you can fly around on a smooth surface with less chop.

I think I am a pretty patient when it comes to shopping for hardware, so I don’t mind watching the market and keeping my eye out for a good deal if one can be had.

A lot of the parts that will drain a wallet fast are actually not that hard to construct and fabricate, it will keep me busy with projects building a little more structural integrity and reliability into the chassis.

Oh believe me I will be in contact, nice to have trusted experienced feedback from a passionate enthusiast that knows what is out there and what is working for most people well for these vehicles.

And thank you for the lead on SXS group info! Hoping that will lead to some people enthusiastic about trail riding!

·
Premium Member
1,673 Posts
Very cool story from the both of you . What a great way to get your feet wet in this sport PNW. Very cool of Dezperado for such a tour.! I had a nice vacation last yr in Oregon. The wife and I started in Portland and drove down the coast and it just happened to be perfect timing to go to the UTV take over event. So we did , but we didn't really get to see much didn't really get there early enough to take any test rides so vendors row and some sand drags was it. Still had a great time since it was totally unexpected to go to such an event on this trip. I don't know how many times I told the wife I wish I had my X3.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts