Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
642 Posts
Will do. I will update throughout the week of thanksgiving. I only have 48 pound twins in the back seats but I will also test with some adults back there.

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
Finally, it says "supporting vendor" over Garys name and it's game on fir this forum. A few years ago I took my 2013 Maverick to Shock Therapy for their full package, valving and dual rate springs. What I got back was a car that rode much better when driven hard but no where near as plush as I had expected when simply trail riding. This was after I told them plush, plush plush. The result was the wife still didn't want to ride. Now onto the X3 and I knew I wanted someone else to do it because the stock setup is simply wrong no matter what you do. I'd already read everything Warlock had written about Gary even going back to the older Mavericks and being an avid off road racing fan I was very familiar with Tom Morris and had read all his tech articles in Dirt Sports Magazine. I wanted my X3 setup by an off road legend, what could be better? I talked to Gary on the phone a couple times and was convinced this was the path. I finally got my shocks done with the replacement springs and spent a long weekend testing in Parker and couldn't be happier. If you haven't had your shocks done you have no idea what 24" of travel feels like when it's used right. The feel of of the as the suspension moves and still resists totally bottoming out is amazing and hard to explain but it will leave a huge smile on your face. I did experience some roughness in extended "rhythm" chop that is hard to explain so I talked to Gary and he is very helpful so I'll try a couple of changes prior to the next ride. Prior to this work Gary told me I'd need 32" tires because when the suspension works the stock 30" tires simply aren't tall enough to support the total travel of the suspension when done right. He couldn't have been more correct. My original plan was to stick with 30" tires but not anymore. I can't wait to run this car with the taller tires so make sure you all keep posting new info on the tire threads because I'm reading ALL OF IT!
Gary is the man and all I can say is get your car to him before he's overwhelmed. My only disappointment is thanks to Warlocks help I still have not met Gary or his wife in person but look forward to changing that someday.

Reactions: Cales

·
Registered
454 Posts
Finally, it says "supporting vendor" over Garys name and it's game on fir this forum. A few years ago I took my 2013 Maverick to Shock Therapy for their full package, valving and dual rate springs. What I got back was a car that rode much better when driven hard but no where near as plush as I had expected when simply trail riding. This was after I told them plush, plush plush. The result was the wife still didn't want to ride. Now onto the X3 and I knew I wanted someone else to do it because the stock setup is simply wrong no matter what you do. I'd already read everything Warlock had written about Gary even going back to the older Mavericks and being an avid off road racing fan I was very familiar with Tom Morris and had read all his tech articles in Dirt Sports Magazine. I wanted my X3 setup by an off road legend, what could be better? I talked to Gary on the phone a couple times and was convinced this was the path. I finally got my shocks done with the replacement springs and spent a long weekend testing in Parker and couldn't be happier. If you haven't had your shocks done you have no idea what 24" of travel feels like when it's used right. The feel of of the as the suspension moves and still resists totally bottoming out is amazing and hard to explain but it will leave a huge smile on your face. I did experience some roughness in extended "rhythm" chop that is hard to explain so I talked to Gary and he is very helpful so I'll try a couple of changes prior to the next ride. Prior to this work Gary told me I'd need 32" tires because when the suspension works the stock 30" tires simply aren't tall enough to support the total travel of the suspension when done right. He couldn't have been more correct. My original plan was to stick with 30" tires but not anymore. I can't wait to run this car with the taller tires so make sure you all keep posting new info on the tire threads because I'm reading ALL OF IT!
Gary is the man and all I can say is get your car to him before he's overwhelmed. My only disappointment is thanks to Warlocks help I still have not met Gary or his wife in person but look forward to changing that someday.
Using Gary is great!! But he only works on RS (bypass shocks), not the DS 2.5 Fox Shox. Second question; why the 32" tires? Or a better question would be, what are you using your car for? Rock climbing, desert riding/racing, trail rides????

·
Registered
454 Posts
Using Gary is great!! But he only works on RS (bypass shocks), not the DS 2.5 Fox Shox. Question; why the 32" tires? Or a better question would be, what are you using your car for? Rock climbing, desert riding/racing, trail rides???? And if the suspension doesn't work right with 30" tires, why is that? I get the total travel thing but why?

·
Registered
108 Posts
Ride200mi with the RX model and 24 inches of suspension travel in the rear at full bump on a flat road it has less than an inch before the skid plate is hitting the ground. With the 32" tires with a stronger sidewall it allows an additional inch and stronger sidewalls have less tire squish and all of that is very helpful keeping the skid plate out of the dirt. Don't forget on almost every trail these days there are a nice crown built up in the middle of the trail and especially around the Parker 425 course. Therefor you are constantly dragging your skid plate, so every inch helps!

Gary

·
Registered
56 Posts
Gary
I have a Rs max and wanted to do a couple things. I didn?t know if you can get just the eibach upper springs? Also my main concern is I?m unhappy with low speed small chop. High speed, I?m actually content with, although I?m sure it can be improved on.
So far I bumped up ride height, moved the cross over spring up a additional 1/2 inch up front and left the back the same distance as it came from factory. Rear low and high speed is one turn from open. Front Low speed is all the way closed and high speed is one turn in from open
I feel like there is not enough spring pressure on the front upper springs and there is either too much dampening or the wheels are getting thrown around. I feel like I can?t correct it. I?m about 10 to 12 on rebound up front. Also I?m running 32? tires. Correct me if I?m wrong.
Let me know if you think you can help me out
Thanks
Jeff

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
LOL yeah the last few miles of that Parker course are hell on the skidplate, especially if the car isn't set up correctly.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Heavyhitter, we are testing a couple MAX 4 Seater as we speak. We added additional bleed which fixed the low speed painful ride and really helped in the embedded rocks and chopped up trails. We are just now making sure the valving is dialed in for the bump zone and it doesn't g-out in big hits!

For sure you can start by adding a tender spring but to be honest the most affordable way is to just purchase an Eibach Pro-UTV Spring Kit.

You know how I feel about 32" tires. LOVE THEM... Casey Curry ran 35" tires on his CanAm MAX 4 Seater to pre-run the Baja 500 this year. I'm not against the 35" BFG Tire either.

Where are you located and what is your favorite places to drive your car? Sand, Dirt, Rocks, Mud?

Gary

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Heavyhitter, we are testing a couple MAX 4 Seater as we speak. We added additional bleed which fixed the low speed painful ride and really helped in the embedded rocks and chopped up trails. We are just now making sure the valving is dialed in for the bump zone and it doesn't g-out in big hits!

For sure you can start by adding a tender spring but to be honest the most affordable way is to just purchase an Eibach Pro-UTV Spring Kit.

You know how I feel about 32" tires. LOVE THEM... Casey Curry ran 35" tires on his CanAm MAX 4 Seater to pre-run the Baja 500 this year. I'm not against the 35" BFG Tire either.

Where are you located and what is your favorite places to drive your car? Sand, Dirt, Rocks, Mud?

Gary
I think you guys have made a few more improvements since I had mine done. When I get back from Baja maybe I should get the updated tune? Is it front and rear? Mainly, as mentioned, a little harsh in the square edge small stuff. Overall super happy with my shocks! Worth every nickel.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Ride200mi with the RX model and 24 inches of suspension travel in the rear at full bump on a flat road it has less than an inch before the skid plate is hitting the ground. With the 32" tires with a stronger sidewall it allows an additional inch and stronger sidewalls have less tire squish and all of that is very helpful keeping the skid plate out of the dirt. Don't forget on almost every trail these days there are a nice crown built up in the middle of the trail and especially around the Parker 425 course. Therefor you are constantly dragging your skid plate, so every inch helps!

Gary
I see and it certainly makes sense!!

Reactions: MaxAZ

·
Registered
32 Posts
Finally drove my car today after Tom setup the shocks with full spring kit and valving. All I can say is WOW! It’s night and day over stock. I can carry more speed everywhere now especially when turning. Much more stable, less body roll and more positive feel to the car. So plush through the small stuff now also and haven’t touched a clicker yet. If your running stock your totally missing out. Thanks you Tom and Gary for all the hard work and development on these shocks.

·
Registered
56 Posts

Gary
Gary
I?m located in NW Peoria, AZ. I mainly ride desert dirt. I?m definitely interested in valving too, so keep me posted. Also do you know the heights of the factory upper springs for the xrs max ?
Jeff

·
Registered
108 Posts
Ya, who cares what Gary thinks.
No one wants to piss off a beautiful woman.
Besides, I probably couldn't use the name Gary gave me...

When I talked to the FOX guys, they said to spray the shocks down with silicone or wax because even finger oils would damage the finish on the shock threads.
Well after that, when I was done driving, they looked like Iraqi sugar cookies.
I did power wash the shocks before I delivered to Gary.

If you have ever worked in SX and seen the rider deliver a power washed bike to his mechanic, and watched the mechanic take the bike back to the power washer to do the job right.
It was like that.
IMG_1281.jpg

·
Registered
108 Posts
Zambo, we will talk later - always working on a better setup. Tommy is doing another setup for Alan and lets see if that's better than my favorite setup. But, I can tell you this, it works way better in the embedded rocks, cross ruts and just plain old crappy desert roads! Just floats through ail of that crap now!

Gary

21 - 40 of 46 Posts