Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I were in Glamis for the Can Am test rides last year for the new X3. We were in the session after a roll-over.
Having tested all 3 different cars at speeds high enough to get stopped (blocked in) by the staff and threatened with being kicked off the demo, we were sold on the XRS.
Once we received the first black XRS from Bert's (Thanks Neal!), I was surprised at the stiffness of the ride while in Glamis for a few weeks and even more disappointed with the ride in the Arizona desert. Washboard would blur my vision.

I did speak to the Fox techs while at the Parker race this year. They did admit that Can Am changed their pre-determined setup at the last minute before delivery (they suspected it was the test drive roll overs). But changing to their recommended specs did little to help the ride.

Having read that Gary of UTV Shocks was in town when I finished a ride I rushed my shocks over to him.
I know who TM1 is (I read all of his Dirt Sports articles and his Ironman TT Forum Info), and Gary's partnership with him, and Gary' background had me convinced.

I have been fortunate to meet a few world class technicians in my life. Guys with championships to prove their worth.
The first was a setup and tuner for me while racing. Another has built us a few bullet-proof engines. Another did a restore that is a 10/10. Each of these guys has the same characteristics. They are detail oriented (or anal). They each have their methods and do not deviate, as they have been proven in competition. They rarely suffer fools.

Gary at UTV Shocks (utvshocks.com) fits this to a T. Gary's history at PPI speaks for itself, and I had previously used his custom electronics (although I did not know him). His shock tuning is the single best modification done to our X3 and the first thing I recommend to anyone purchasing an X3. His knowledge of the shocks and his experience in racing, testing and off road systems saves me time and money, while he delivers a significant improvement in performance.

The detail to which Gary goes to tune the shocks properly, and to document all the settings is well worth the effort. If I had it to do over again, I would not have driven my car prior to Gary’s tuning. I am now able to attack at speed sections that previously I could not find a comfortable pace. The comfort and control are both much improved over stock.

Gary and his beautiful wife are rock stars and my suggestion is to take advantage of his knowledge and experience, as they may take off on vacation for good one day soon!

·
Registered
37 Posts
We did or first ride up to Desert Bar with the Xrs, Gary followed in his. I thought I was moving at a fair pace across the rocks but Gary kept running me down with ease. After that ride he did my shocks. Next time out there was absolutely nothing that we encountered in the desert that made us slow down to avoid the jitters. The transformation was truly amazing.

·
Premium Member
1,455 Posts
It seems that anyone who has delt with Gary or UTVshocks only can say great things about what he does. This is exactly the people I want to take my business to. Great up standing people are few and far between in today's society.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Did the fix lift the X3 3"?
Hello TPC
When I received the XRS, it had 11” of clearance (without me in it). Much less than the advertised 15.5”.
Gary’s tuning set the buggy at a specific height, including all accessories and my wife and myself. Recently, he saw me in the parking lot and noted the back looked higher than his setting. He had me drive it over to his shop, measured and reset the height in the rear in minutes (it had raised 1”). We don’t have an explanation for the change, but I did keep one stock spring on each corner.
I suspect that he sets the height customer for each customer. I don’t have my booklet he gave me with me right now, but I believe he set mine at 16”. He did measure the shocks as well as the ride height at the bottom of the skid, ensuring the change was not tire inflation.
All of these measurements are noted in his booklet.

In reading my original post, I may sound like a shill. I can assure you that is not the case as Gary and I didn’t quite start off on the right foot…

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The settings given to me by the Fox tech guys also raised the buggy back up (to 15.5" I believe).
It did not change the harsh ride.
Their specs have been posted here previously.

·
Premium Member
1,455 Posts
Dirty Shocks, how did you come up with the name? Rumor has it Gary don't like dirty shocks sent to him!

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
So Gary's wife gave you your screen name? lol

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So Gary's wife gave you your screen name? lol
Ya, who cares what Gary thinks.
No one wants to piss off a beautiful woman.
Besides, I probably couldn't use the name Gary gave me...

When I talked to the FOX guys, they said to spray the shocks down with silicone or wax because even finger oils would damage the finish on the shock threads.
Well after that, when I was done driving, they looked like Iraqi sugar cookies.
I did power wash the shocks before I delivered to Gary.

If you have ever worked in SX and seen the rider deliver a power washed bike to his mechanic, and watched the mechanic take the bike back to the power washer to do the job right.
It was like that.

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
Good to hear great things about him. I'm going to look him up when I get back down to Havasu this spring. Did he revalve your shocks too? What kind of price are we talking for just a tune? It's gotta be a lot cheaper than a revalve. I have an X3 XDS, does he tune them too?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My shocks were revalved and he replaced 2 springs at each corner with one, keeping one stock. I am sure it is different for each customer (he wanted a lot of detailed info prior to tuning).
Turning clickers and preload to match the fox specs did not impress me. It did bring up the ride height.

·
Premium Member
1,455 Posts
If I remember Gary responded to that same XDS question a day or two ago. I don't think he has a valving setup for the XDS.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Hey guys, Gary here... I'm waiting two more days before I can respond with a lot more info. I got tired of fighting the other vendors crying about the fact that people here are taking about my suspension work and not being a "Supporting Vendor" - So I joined the forum and will be an official "Supporting Vendor" on the 6th of November.

Lets chat more when you see my name on the Supporting Vendor Page!

I really appreciate all the kind words!

Thanks Gary

·
Registered
642 Posts
Gary, do you tune shocks similarly to Tom in Santa Ana?

·
Registered
108 Posts
Yes Manny I was at his shop when he called you a couple weeks ago. Everything Tom does was tested by me although Tom is the Rocket Scientist behind all the FOX Internal Bypass Setup and Mods. I do all the testing here in Havasu.

Gary

·
Premium Member
1,455 Posts
No ,I live in Illinois but we ride mostly in Tennessee. I do have intentions on making our way west to ride even though it's 20+ hour drive to Arizona ( I was born and raised in Mesa/Tempe). I have in my mind that a desert setup will work well for me but not sure.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Yes Manny I was at his shop when he called you a couple weeks ago. Everything Tom does was tested by me although Tom is the Rocket Scientist behind all the FOX Internal Bypass Setup and Mods. I do all the testing here in Havasu.

Good to know. My suspension ran so well out at Glamis North Hot Springs. I purposely chose every rough line that had the biggest whoops and it was so comfortable. Can't wait to test it out at the dunes!

Reactions: warlock

·
Registered
108 Posts
Manny - please go run that CanAm X3 MAX RS more and more and please report back to either Tom or me! Or, post here good or bad and let others know! We've only done a few 4 seater RS models and really could use the feedback!

Thanks Again, Gary

1 - 20 of 46 Posts