Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Normally I do not get on and post things about companies because I give a lot of deference to companies that make custom parts for our machines. However, I recently ordered two harness bars from UTV INC. for my maverick MAX. I ordered them in August but didn't have a chance to put them on until lat last month because I was out of town most of August and a lot of September as well. So, about a week and a half ago, I went out and installed the rear harness bar with no problem and then tried to install the front harness bar. Unfortunately, the front bar did not fit at all. It was off by about 3/8". I called UTV inc and asked them if I could return it because it didn't fit and they said that I was a few days late to return it for a full refund so that they would charge 50% restocking fee and we would have to pay for shipping ourselves. That makes it not worth sending the bar back at all. When asked why they would do that when their product didn't fit as advertised, they said that we only have a 30 day window to return it. Unfortunately for me, I was not in town long enough to work on my Max in the last two months so I didn't find out that the bar was off by that much until a few days after the 30 day return period. Nick, from UTV Inc., was unsympathetic to the situation and could care less about a customer that has spent thousands of dollars with them in the past. I didn't even want a refund of money as store credit would have been fine so that I could buy more product from them. I guess customer service is a thing of the past with them now that they are a bigger company. I had the same issue with the back seat cage extension I bought from them a couple of years ago for my commander. It also didn't fit properly and they wouldn't do anything about it when I called them. Had to use 2 winches, 4 straps, and three people to get the cage to line up enough to bolt it on and then I never removed it again for fear of the same hassle putting it on. I know that people put policies in place in all business, but there are always circumstances that would call for the policy being bent for the customer. I own my business and would never be that strict and stringent on things, especially if the product I was selling did not fit. I went riding this weekend with a couple buddies, one with a maverick and one had a Rzr. Both of them told me that they have had issues with UTV INC.'s customer service and quality as of late. They both said they are no longer buying from UTV Inc. I will not longer buy from them either with so many other options out there from companies that are still standing behind their product and that are customer service oriented. I will post a picture of the bar later tonight when I get home as I took two pictures of the bar with one end installed and bolted and the other end not lining up. I now have the harness bar in a machine shop getting it cut down to the proper length. Should be done later this week.

·
Premium Member
8,276 Posts
maybe your Max cage is off from the factory, did you loosen the stock cage bolts and then see if the harness bar fit? Not all snowflakes are exactly the same the factory assembly does change from time to time. Buying the first run of any car truck or widget has its risks.

calm down and take another look at the instalation, i bet you can make it work. If not you can always swing the harness bars around and hit cats with it. haha

·
Registered
244 Posts
that really show's there true colors not willing to stand behind there product and quality control.i was going to buy a rear bumper and cage extension from them but not now.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
maybe your Max cage is off from the factory, did you loosen the stock cage bolts and then see if the harness bar fit? Not all snowflakes are exactly the same the factory assembly does change from time to time. Buying the first run of any car truck or widget has its risks.

calm down and take another look at the instalation, i bet you can make it work. If not you can always swing the harness bars around and hit cats with it. haha
Yes, I did loosen the cage up to it to try and make it work. Almost got it to work with the winch from my two seater hooked up to the cage while it was loose but the bar was just too long. I do understand that these machines could have their fitment problems. What got me was the fact that UTV INC. could care less about the problem or the customer. UTV INC. blows this forum up on a daily basis with their advertisements but they wont stand completely behind their product. I am big on companies with good customer service. If a product doesn't work or, in this case, fit, try to make it right with the customer rather than just throwing a policy in their face. The harness bar was less than $200. I have spent thousands with them in the past and would have spent thousands more. Not now I wont.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have to wonder if that's why they have no inventory right now and they are telling me this morning that they are all at least 2 weeks out for powdercoat? I guess it's a blessing that I didn't order it from them after all.
Having been in the business before, you always treat your customers fairly and like you would like to be treated yourself in all aspects. If your products work, and are at a fair price, then most people will become repeat clients and it snowballs from there.
If not then you sooner or later become just a phone number that might or might not have something that maybe won't fit after you recieve it. People stop purchasing from these kinds of companys and find more respectable outlets to spend their hard earned money.
Sorry to hear about this.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
I am a business owner, not the biggest...but 65 employees isn't too bad. UTV Inc just seems "wrong" to me. Their pricing is hideous most of the time...they post in stock gotta sell it today...and people then complain about massive wait times after they place an order foolishly with them. The quality of the product looks fine, but so are a lot of other places. ATVoutfitters.net stood up to a shipping problem without any issues after I made an ass out of myself, Holz racing products sent out a new set of tie rods before I knew my tie rods were defective, and there are other examples. Point is there are lots of vendors anxious to help us and EARN our business...as it should be. Our business to them is a privilege and not a right.

Why am I writing this? Because as a business owner here is my take on them. They get money on the books so they can then buy the materials to make the product...which goes to financial strength of the company. VERY bad business practice, and a recipe for disaster. I've watched them for the better part of a year, and that would be my take on them. It is nothing I know for sure, but their practices are certainly questionable. And as a business owner, I'd absolutely replace that harness bar after carefully confirming that you were not installing it correctly. I certainly would not dismiss you automatically. I also admit they may have done that already and or you could have ordered the wrong one on accident. But a few days past 30 and not even a store credit? Bad business...goes to financial strength once more in my opinion.

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
Are you sure they didn't send you the bar for a 2013 model? Either way....thumbs down on the customer service....

·
Banned
546 Posts
thanks for the information.. Wont worry about buying anything from them!

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Their customer service used to be pretty good but has declined quite a bit the bigger they have become. I guess that is the cost of becoming big.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
They have had fitment issue with many other products they make as well. I understand these vehicles may vary a little bit but like the other guy said, its bad business not to either replace it or give the customer store credit. What the hell is the difference?

·
Registered
477 Posts
Wow , my brother inlaw just had a problem with a part not fiting his ranger that he ordered from them. Sounds like its getting common. They outfitted my 900 in 11 and everything down to the cage fit like a glove. Go figure.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Wow... I just bought doors and a bar and 2 harnesses. My customer service was pretty damn good. Ups lost my bar and I had another one shipped out to me. Had to pay for it but card was reimbursed. If you bought something in August and returned it over 30 days later, I'd say pay up also for restocking.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Wow... I just bought doors and a bar and 2 harnesses. My customer service was pretty damn good. Ups lost my bar and I had another one shipped out to me. Had to pay for it but card was reimbursed. If you bought something in August and returned it over 30 days later, I'd say pay up also for restocking.
50%? In addition to the pricing you pay for their products already? I'd at least feel better if they showed up at my house and put a gun to my head as they robbed me.

IF..and I say if...he did nothing wrong, ordered the right part, and it simply doesn't fit (this isn't the first issue I've read about them with these problems) it should be replaced cut and dry. If you want to be a stickler make him pay shipping. But 50%? No, not acceptable.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
50%? In addition to the pricing you pay for their products already? I'd at least feel better if they showed up at my house and put a gun to my head as they robbed me.

IF..and I say if...he did nothing wrong, ordered the right part, and it simply doesn't fit (this isn't the first issue I've read about them with these problems) it should be replaced cut and dry. If you want to be a stickler make him pay shipping. But 50%? No, not acceptable.
Can't say 50% but... It's their policy. Not defending them but I see it in the same business I'm in all the time.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Last resort,
Step 1 measure amount needed to be removed
step 2 chop saw
step 3 weld back together
step 4 install.

LOL

Reactions: BAMA-S

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Just last week I helped a buddy install both of those same bars on his Max so I know exactly what you're talking about. We initially thought that both bars were oversized by about 3/8" and would never fit but we kept working it and with a large rubber mallet both popped on. They make it diffictult to install by the way they rotate the clamps to the point of where they have to be 'snapped' on which is not easy to do with a steel bar. But don't give up. On the front bar we had to pull it almost on using a ratchet strap that we tied to the grab bar. Once it was almost there the mallet finished the job.
Also, here's a tip I learned while doing the harness bar (UTV Inc) I installed on my 2 seater last March. Run a tap through the threads to clean it up because the powder coat blows a lot of paint in there. I also applyed a small amount of anti seize to the threads. It makes tightening up the clamps a whole bunch easier.
As for UTV Inc, well I'm in the process of installing the new UHMW skids I bought last Friday. Was going well until I got to the front corners and couldn't get the self tapping screw to sink into the frame. Turns out the frame turns upward at the part of the car so I needed longer screws which were not in my parts bag. I stopped by the store today and they gave them to me which wasn't a big deal to me since they are close to work. So hopefully I can get that job finished tonight because I really like the skids. My biggest complaint is the price of this stuff, almost $500 for some plastic. I'd also say that front harness bar is a bit cheesy because it seems they got lazy and decided to just weld a bracket on instead of bending the bars and making it match the back bar.
Anyhow, to the OP, beat that bar into place. You've got nothing to lose!

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
Can't say 50% but... It's their policy. Not defending them but I see it in the same business I'm in all the time.
He was not trying to return it....he was reporting a defective product. You would think something as simple as a harness bar would have more than a 30 day warranty on craftsmanship or manufacturer's defects. Personally, I think a part like this should have a lifetime warranty. There is more than enough margin on this part to replace it a few times under warranty.

Reactions: maverickmn

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Last resort,
Step 1 measure amount needed to be removed
step 2 chop saw
step 3 weld back together
step 4 install.

LOL
This is exactly what I did. I paid a machine shop to do it for me. They even touched it up where they cut the bar. Cant tell really that it was even cut in the first place. Fits good now. They took almost a half an inch out of it. I agree that policies are important. However, there are certain circumstances that should justify bending those policies. I work hard to make the money to buy these products from places like UTV Inc. Work kept me away from installing things that I wanted to install. Had a winch, windshield, HID lights, radio, harness bars and harnesses to install. I usually do everything all at once so I waited until I had time to actually start installing things. I would be home for a couple days at a time so i didn't have sufficient time to do things. When I finally did, I found the rear bar to fit just fine and the front bar to be pretty far off. I contacted them immediately after I tried everything I could think of to make it work. They didn't care. If I ran my business like that, my name would get so bad that I would be out of business. Only difference with my business and theirs is that I cater to the local folk and they cater to people all over the world. They can get away with crappy customer service from time to time. I cant. I expect more out of the people I do business with. For example, just called up Turnkey to ask them if their rear harness bar fits with the LinQ trunk box installed on the Max. They didn't know but said that if I got it and it didn't fit with the trunk box, they would take it back and custom build me a new one for the same price. They may be slow at times, but that good customer service to me and they build a good product.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts