Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We just sold our Outlander 650 XT Max and ordered a new Maverick Trail 1000, we need to buy a new utility trailer but not sure on the size. The MT is 118" long, that only leaves 2 inches to the tailgate/ramp on a 10 foot trailer, and the machine doesn't have bumpers on it yet so we are thinking a 5x10, or a 6x10 will be too short, should we go 12 feet? It is hard to find anything between 10 & 12 feet. We would like to hear from some others experiences with utility trailers for the Maverick Trail.
Thanks

·
Registered
83 Posts
Before you buy the trailer, take a tape measure and verify. They can vary by up to 6", even if it says 5x10 or whatever, double check.

Always, ALWAYS get one size bigger than you think you need.

·
Registered
2019 Mav Trail 1000 DPS
15 Posts
For short trips I use my 5x10 and it just fits but no extra room for a gas can,etc. If I were buying a trailer I would go minimum 12. For longer trips we use a 16 V-nose tandem and that is pretty ideal.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Here is my Maverick Trail on a 6'-6" x 12' trailer. The trailer deck actually measures 12'-2".
I really like the tool box up front also to store tie downs and tire change tools.
fullsizeoutput_255.jpeg

·
Registered
391 Posts
My 10 foot would sway when pulling with our lighter SUV. I had to back it onto the trailer to stop the swaying. I now have the Aluma 7712H and love it. I would recommend the 12 if you have storage room.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
I purchased this Playcraft 77"x10' (actually, prox 10' 2" usable deck length) same day as my former MavT from most local Can-Am dealer nearly 3 yrs ago. Previously owned Playcraft 5'x8' for former Yamaha Grizzly ATV obviously was too small, so sold that one. Said Can-Am dealer orders most utility trailers with optional extended height ramp with spring assist plus welded spare tire mount and spare. This one had round stock top tubes and steel diamond plate which appealed to me. Still have and use it, however a squeeze fit with current MavS Xrc due to effective longer overall length with OEM 30" Maxxis Liberty tires. Haven't tried with 32" Maxxis Carnivores installed last month, however still think it'll fit with large OD pool noodle "cushion" bungeed on the rear bumper (included with OEM MavS X-variant pkg) horizontal tube. Normally towed behind 2014 F150 FX4 6.2L MaxTow however no stability issues when towed in shown orientation behind 2017 Jeep Wrangler JK Rubicon. As a do-over, agreed 12' version would be the better choice since I plenty of storage space for a slightly longer trailer.

LH front trailered.JPG LH rear trailered 2.JPG Rear trailered.JPG RH front trailered.JPG

·
Registered
2 Posts
We just sold our Outlander 650 XT Max and ordered a new Maverick Trail 1000, we need to buy a new utility trailer but not sure on the size. The MT is 118" long, that only leaves 2 inches to the tailgate/ramp on a 10 foot trailer, and the machine doesn't have bumpers on it yet so we are thinking a 5x10, or a 6x10 will be too short, should we go 12 feet? It is hard to find anything between 10 & 12 feet. We would like to hear from some others experiences with utility trailers for the Maverick Trail.
Thanks
I have a can-am maverick sport 1000r DPS and my 12ft trailer works perfect. Suggest you look into the e-track system for hauling - sooo easy and quick

·
Registered
18 X3 Xrs max
117 Posts
I would recommend get something long than you need so you have space to move forward and back to adjust tongue weight especially if you are going single axle

·
Registered
7 Posts
That pic I posted was when I picked up the MT new from the dealer. Since then, I have backed it on for trips. Runs noticeably smoother for sure. Highly recommend backing it on for 10ft trailers.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I use a 10ft trailer for my MavS XXC with front / back bumpers and winches and it fits well, but you will need to load the machine on backwards to have any tongue weight. 12 ft trailer would be a better choice.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Before you buy the trailer, take a tape measure and verify. They can vary by up to 6", even if it says 5x10 or whatever, double check.

Always, ALWAYS get one size bigger than you think you need.
This x100. Plus, longer trailers track better, and are easier to back up. And no matter how long of a trailer you get, you'll always find a reason to get a longer one within a year. :ROFLMAO:

A lot of trailers that small don't have brakes... get one with brakes. And get one with lots of D-rings. And add a tongue box for jack, breaker bar, straps, etc..

Finally, I got my utility trailer with taller, diamond plate sides... it makes it a LOT easier if it's being used for hauling trash, branches, etc..

·
Registered
393 Posts
HP and Dropzone both have VERY valid points,,,, that is the logic I use when purchasing a trailer as well.

I try make my towing purchases with two ideals.... I get way more trailer than I know I need (both size and build quality),,, and I pull with way more truck than I know I need. Not everyone has the budget for this mentality,,, but if you do, I find it to be worthwhile.

Tandem axle if I'm hauling anything heavy or of any value,,, and always get wider/longer than I think I need. If a 12' will do,,, I get the 14',,, if a 6.5' wide trailer will do,, I get the next size up, etc. Nominal extra money,,,, but it makes my travels less stressful and more enjoyable. Also,,, you will always have extra "gear" you forgot to think about when doing all your dimensional calcs for the SXS.

I also purchased one with 24" side rails with expanded metal. VERY useful for other chores around the house, AND they are bolted on, so they come off fairly easily if you don't want them on for any reason. Peace of mind for me as well in case a tiedown lets go or the like.

Everyone has a budget for sure,,, but a trailer is NOT the place to skimp when you are putting your VERY expensive toy on it and driving around with a million other lunatics all paying more attention to their phones than the road. Just save up for another few months.

Something to think about.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Just a comment on trailer brakes: A lot of smaller trailers, 10-12 feet, don't come with brakes. They do, however sometimes have the backing plate on the axles to support the quick and easy installation of electric brakes. You can buy a kit from sources like etrailer.com

·
Registered
3 Posts
Canada Trailers 5×12 steel flat deck (no side rails - only a $100 more if I had wanted them). Unbelievable value for the high quality build construction. Full 60" between the wheel wells. Leaves extra length to add a rear bumper/ spare to my machine. Came with removable ramp and stake pockets on all 4 sides. I got the 5x12 for a better fit in my garage.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts