Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I made a mistake and let a friend drive my Mav and now I've got about a hundred cactus thorns in my front tires. Won't be making that mistake again but my front tires definitely leak air now. They are still like new at 9hrs so it's crazy to replace them and I have no idea how many patches it would take to seal the holes so I'm thinking my best bet is to put slime in them. Slime is great if you put it in and never take off the tires again but what a mess it can make inside the tire if you have to remove it. I was wondering if anyone has any experience with slime on beadlock wheels. I don't think it should make a difference but wanted to make sure before I go ahead and do this.

Note to self: Don't let friends drive where there are cactus.

·
Registered
806 Posts
I put slime in my 44" boggers with bead locks and it worked great. Slime is water based washes out very easily.

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
ya i heard there was a old slime and all the new slime , it doesnt dry up stays wet and easy to clean ,

the old stuff was getting hard and caked all over stuff and dryin.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Should be A ok......Not like there is a tire pressure monitoring system to mess up or anything.... :big smile:

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Glad to hear Slime has improved. I've stayed away from it the last few years except in mountain bike tires. I'm going to pull one of the wheels off and start pulling the thorns out and then stick it all in the dunk tank, I mean swimming pool, to see just how many leaks I have before sliming it up and we'll see how she goes.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Well I made a mistake and let a friend drive my Mav and now I've got about a hundred cactus thorns in my front tires. Won't be making that mistake again but my front tires definitely leak air now. They are still like new at 9hrs so it's crazy to replace them and I have no idea how many patches it would take to seal the holes so I'm thinking my best bet is to put slime in them. Slime is great if you put it in and never take off the tires again but what a mess it can make inside the tire if you have to remove it. I was wondering if anyone has any experience with slime on beadlock wheels. I don't think it should make a difference but wanted to make sure before I go ahead and do this.

Note to self: Don't let friends drive where there are cactus.

Check out Ameriseal, can get at NAPA, or through Fullerton Sand Sports.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just did a little checking on my front tires after pulling as many thorns out as I could and it doesn't look like I'm leaking from tire itself so it must be the beadlock although I can't actually see bubbles coming from there. At any rate I hit the bolts with a lb inch torque wrench and they were all pretty loose. Needed about 1/4 turn each to get 71 lb/inch so I'm hoping that was it. I set all tires at 30 psi and will check later. If that works I'll lower air to 15 psi and wait and check again. If I'm still leaking I'll try and find it with soapy water instead of the swimming pool.

·
Registered
400 Posts
did you let air out of tires before torquing the bead lock nuts? its important to do that before tightening

·
Registered
81 Posts
Can anybody recommend a good torque wrench (lb in) for checking the bead lock bolts?

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
did you let air out of tires before torquing the bead lock nuts? its important to do that before tightening
No they had aboUt 15 psi. Didnt know they needed to be deflated. I checked the air today and they were all good except 1 of the fronts dropped from 30 down to 16.5 in 5 days. Thinking I need to remove and clean the. Bead lock at this point if I can't find it with soapy water.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I'm really new to the Mav scene but my wife and I took our first trip to Glamis today. Was having a good time for awhile then seemed to lose power. Stopped for lunch and wtf! a flat rear tire. Had a little compressor along and was able to blow it up about halfway. Then found air leaking around the bead. Checked the beadlock screws and they were all loose. Some were ready to fall out. I tightened them all up to what I thought was probably about the right torque and the tire held air. Never had anything to do with beadlock tires before so was just wondering if it is necessary to check the bolts regularly? Machine goes in for its first service tomorrow. 20 hours on it now and all seems well.

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
I'm really new to the Mav scene but my wife and I took our first trip to Glamis today. Was having a good time for awhile then seemed to lose power. Stopped for lunch and wtf! a flat rear tire. Had a little compressor along and was able to blow it up about halfway. Then found air leaking around the bead. Checked the beadlock screws and they were all loose. Some were ready to fall out. I tightened them all up to what I thought was probably about the right torque and the tire held air. Never had anything to do with beadlock tires before so was just wondering if it is necessary to check the bolts regularly? Machine goes in for its first service tomorrow. 20 hours on it now and all seems well.
Yes you need to check the beadlocks regularly.

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
X2 add this to your pre-ride inspection......

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Check mine every other ride.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts