Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Anybody wanna ride along?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,362 Posts
That should be a good test for the new chassis.

Reactions: BLR and Desert Dog

·
Registered
54 Posts
I would LOVE to do this. Hell, I would love to have the TIME to do this. Unfortunately, I do not so I cannot. It should be an awesome trip.

My biggest question I have for you on these excursions is - How do you find the routes that get you where you want to be without running into a ton of closed off gates, OHV restricted routes, long stretches of pavement, pissed off landowners, running stretches that are within range (even with extra fuel), etc. Here in Idaho which ranks fourth in most public land I have a very hard time finding complete routes from southern Idaho to northern Idaho. I have planned out a route this summer to prerun for my Baja trip that goes from southern Boise Idaho to Paradise Valley Nevada and back (~400 miles) It has taken me months of scouring Google Earth, Websites and Gaia to figure out the best routes that are in range and legal to run on. How do you do it?

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
It has taken me months of scouring Google Earth, Websites and Gaia to figure out the best routes that are in range and legal to run on. How do you do it?
That’s PRETTY much how I do it, except for the Trans-America Trail (TAT) - that I just bought and downloaded the routes.

I’ve been working on Wisconsin for a WHILE - a combination of GAIA, Google Maps, Google Earth, and VV Mapping. And help from Wisconsin riding groups on Facebook - a few have even volunteered to guide/ride with us across a few counties to keep us out of trouble.

That’s how I discovered the TWAT (Trans-Wisconsin Adventure Trail) - it’s a Jeep/Motorcycle Trail that goes all the way across Wisconsin. The hard part was RE-plotting it to keep to the designated ATV routes to TRY to avoid possible ticketing/impound.

Anyway, I’ll use Google Maps to plot a non-Highway route between two points, then use Earth and Gaia to find backroads.

Took me YEARS to hammer down the Great Western Trail up from Phoenix up into Idaho; every time when I went to run it, I’d run into snowpacks or single-track trails.

It SEEMS like the Gov’t is TRYING to prevent through-traffic for jeeps/SxS’s - you’ll have a LONG Jeep trail, then come to a single-track gate; sometimes you walk it and it’s JUST 100 yards to another connectingJeep trail.

And there WILL be quite a bit of pavement getting across the 500 miles from the Mackinaw Bridge across Lake Michigan to Rival Motorsports east of Cleveland, Ohio, where I plan to get serviced.

But, from there south, it’s MOSTLY dirt on the TAT, through West Virginia and North Carolina.

I’ll be working and modifying the route for the next three months - working on it a little bit every day; then just HOPE it works out and improvise and detour when necessary .

Here’s what I’m working with NOW - the yellow, blue, and green are ATV/SxS trails and routes - lots of em in Wisconsin and upper Michigan, but not so much once you get into the mid/lower part of Michigan.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Why don't you buy a jeep?
I think something similar when I see people cycling; or hiking.

And I think it’d be too SLOW! And harder to squeeze through tight spaces; and I suspect it’d be less fun, but I haven’t tried it so I don’t really know for SURE.

Plus, there’s the novelty/challenge of getting a vehicle designed for short trips around the country.

It’s just a different way to see the country and meet the locals - I’d drive seven days in my SxS to avoid two days in the car/truck - one is fun and the other is just brutally boring .

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Michigan is street legal for SxS on all roads even with AZ plates.PM me for any help in mich this summer. ( will be home late april)
THANKS! Will DO! One BIG question have is can I just DRIVE the SxS across the Mackinaw bridge or do I need arrange a hauling service to get it across?

AND are the Stateline Trail and Iron River Trail SxS trails all the way across?

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
do you rely on the dual sport ride, Trans America Trail, from jelico to Oregon at all? TAT - Reno to Jellico to Oregon Coast + Other long distance dual sport trails
Haven’t seen that one! I’ll take a look - THANKS!

Haven’t been to Oregon in the SxS YET - was planning on doing it this summer, BUT I decided to do this loop instead.

Oregon doesn’t SEEM like a SxS friendly place - don’t know what the consequences of getting caught on a Oregon public road is YET?

·
Premium Member
1,850 Posts
Haven’t seen that one! I’ll take a look - THANKS!

Haven’t been to Oregon in the SxS YET - was planning on doing it this summer, BUT I decided to do this loop instead.

Oregon doesn’t SEEM like a SxS friendly place - don’t know what the consequences of getting caught on a Oregon public road is YET?

Man you are living the dream of a lot of us on here. Big props for all your homework. Once I retire I would love to be able to do what you do. Keep it up and keep us posted . Loved your ride to ct race works you had last year

·
Registered
534 Posts
THANKS! Will DO! One BIG question have is can I just DRIVE the SxS across the Mackinaw bridge or do I need arrange a hauling service to get it across?

AND are the Stateline Trail and Iron River Trail SxS trails all the way across?

Yes i have driven our SxS across the mackinaw bridge from st ignace to indian river. The first time bridge toll lady said i could not drive across, then she called somebody and took my money, said have a good day. No problems any other time.
I get off the interstate at mackinaw city and then drive down old 27.Just remember in michigan to be street legal you must have DOT tires,blinkers,horn,DOT windshield,and wiper, front and rear bumpers, license plate light.I have all of these things and AZ plates on my X3 max.

·
Registered
12 Posts
what about for south South Carolina? im having a hard time finding a black and white answer for if i can legally ride on the road(with plates, i insurance, horn.. etc.)

thanks in advance!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
what about for south South Carolina? im having a hard time finding a black and white answer for if i can legally ride on the road(with plates, i insurance, horn.. etc.)

thanks in advance!

Nope, not in either Carolina LEGALLY, but I’ve driven it through South Carolina cities without troubles from the law.

A small town patrol car got behind me just before dark - I had my lights on so he could see the lighted license plate and I used my blinker to change lanes; he quit following me after that.

Don’t think I’d get away with it on a REGULAR basis though.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
dang! small rural cities i take it? not charleston or columbia?

TRIED to stick to rural areas, but it was fairly populated between Columbia and Charlotte.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
your bending the rules with the AZ plate but probably wont get caught
stay off the M roads and interstates and out of the big cities you can make your way thru michigan

Reactions: Desert Dog

·
Registered
534 Posts
your bending the rules with the AZ plate but probably wont get caught
stay off the M roads and interstates and out of the big cities you can make your way thru michigan
Dont understand why you think he is bending the rules? I had ridin my michigan plated og maverick in AZ during the winter and Mich in the summers for 3 years with no problems. Now i ride my X3 max with AZ plates in the summer in Mich and AZ for the winters.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts