Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

41 - 60 of 249 Posts

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
It all depends on what BRP is going to do ! A tune can desensitize the misfire fault but you don't want to do anything that may jeopardize your chances of warranty. You may consider reaching out to a vender like EVO or PWRTune to see if they have any suggestions or can put it on their dyno and fix the problem. It is obvious a typical dealership doesn't have the capability to figure this out but a tuner that can get in the ECU software and watch what is taking place probably can. It may cost you a road trip but this has went on entirely too long , you need to ride that thing.
Yes it has been entirely too long.... started within the first 100 miles.

·
Registered
6 Posts
It all depends on what BRP is going to do ! A tune can desensitize the misfire fault but you don't want to do anything that may jeopardize your chances of warranty. You may consider reaching out to a vender like EVO or PWRTune to see if they have any suggestions or can put it on their dyno and fix the problem. It is obvious a typical dealership doesn't have the capability to figure this out but a tuner that can get in the ECU software and watch what is taking place probably can. It may cost you a road trip but this has went on entirely too long , you need to ride that thing.
Yes it has been entirely too long.... started within the first 100 miles.
Given all the circumstances and from the technical aspect this is the most useful advice so far.
With all due respects but there has been no forward motion. This situation has been in stuck position for too long. We've been observing a lot of (rightfully and justifiably ) complaints and (i am sorry) whining. But no real movement.
So, if summarized, there's been three suggestions:

1. Go to legal war with BRP.

2. Continue to squeeze a solution out of your dealer, who clearly looks sympathizing and is desperately trying to help but unfortunately that's beyond his capabilities.

3. And Really, take the machine to one of the tuners mentioned above.

They will Install it on dyno, connect the scanner to the ECU. And then all the info will be collected, such as: statistics of this error cylinder-wise, at what rpm/speed/load it is prone to occur most often and in which cylinder.
After all the relevant info is gathered a strategy to localize the problem should be formed. Maybe furrher diagnostics will be performed using different tools. Or it may become evident right then.

It is just a three cylinder engine, and the number of reasons it misfires is definitely finite. If the plugs and all the high voltage wiring from the coils to the plugs have been replaced by now, including the coils themselves (and the spark is stable), it probably brings us to the fuel system (pump, piping, filters, injectors, pressure should be checked and stability of fuel flow and pressure ).

After fuel system the cylinder compression will be checked. And then finally the valves condition.
That's it.

So, calculate the pros and cons and choose which one of those three is right for you. It should have become clear by now whining will not take you any further. This is just a toy-machine, after all, it is not perfect. That's always has been tricky with BRP machinery. Though of all of the brp supply chain rotax has always been the most relyiable one. I've had (and still) brp buggies, sleds, watercraft, and I got the impression rotax is definitelly the most valuable part that that company has. The engine has always been the last one to break on a brp machine. So, it is a little unexpected the kind of problem you are going through.
And remember, even the most advanced machines such as Boeing MAX's fall from the skies like flies.

·
Premium Member
7,610 Posts
Given all the circumstances and from the technical aspect this is the most useful advice so far.
With all due respects but there has been no forward motion. This situation has been in stuck position for too long. We've been observing a lot of (rightfully and justifiably ) complaints and (i am sorry) whining. But no real movement.
So, if summarized, there's been three suggestions:

1. Go to legal war with BRP.

2. Continue to squeeze a solution out of your dealer, who clearly looks sympathizing and is desperately trying to help but unfortunately that's beyond his capabilities.

3. And Really, take the machine to one of the tuners mentioned above.

They will Install it on dyno, connect the scanner to the ECU. And then all the info will be collected, such as: statistics of this error cylinder-wise, at what rpm/speed/load it is prone to occur most often and in which cylinder.
After all the relevant info is gathered a strategy to localize the problem should be formed. Maybe furrher diagnostics will be performed using different tools. Or it may become evident right then.

It is just a three cylinder engine, and the number of reasons it misfires is definitely finite. If the plugs and all the high voltage wiring from the coils to the plugs have been replaced by now, including the coils themselves (and the spark is stable), it probably brings us to the fuel system (pump, piping, filters, injectors, pressure should be checked and stability of fuel flow and pressure ).

After fuel system the cylinder compression will be checked. And then finally the valves condition.
That's it.

So, calculate the pros and cons and choose which one of those three is right for you. It should have become clear by now whining will not take you any further. This is just a toy-machine, after all, it is not perfect. That's always has been tricky with BRP machinery. Though of all of the brp supply chain rotax has always been the most relyiable one. I've had (and still) brp buggies, sleds, watercraft, and I got the impression rotax is definitelly the most valuable part that that company has. The engine has always been the last one to break on a brp machine. So, it is a little unexpected the kind of problem you are going through.
And remember, even the most advanced machines such as Boeing MAX's fall from the skies like flies.

NEWBIE post of the year shit right here. WOW I'm impressed. Great advice right there.

·
Premium Member
3,499 Posts
isn't Andy with PWR tune by you? I would have it at his shop the next day

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #47 (Edited)
It's a very sad day in hell if one is having to take a brand new car right from the dealership to a tuner because the manufacture and dealer software and service cannot diagnose and repair the issue.

Not saying I would rule out a tune however if I would have doubtful my warranty company would have covered what they did.

·
Premium Member
7,352 Posts
I have to agree unfortunately. If you are within reasonable driving distance to Andy, let him see if he can find an issue in the software. If not, I would tell the dealer, no offense to them, but if they do not give you a completely new machine, the only communication going forward will be through a legal team. You have the issue documented well enough, time to take some action, period. Talking and posting is not getting you anywhere anymore.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
I have to agree unfortunately. If you are within reasonable driving distance to Andy, let him see if he can find an issue in the software. If not, I would tell the dealer, no offense to them, but if they do not give you a completely new machine, the only communication going forward will be through a legal team. You have the issue documented well enough, time to take some action, period. Talking and posting is not getting you anywhere anymore.
Not just talking and posting by any means.

I'm awaiting on several replies.....

·
Premium Member
1,455 Posts
Not just talking and posting by any means.

I'm awaiting on several replies.....
i definitely don’t think you are talking and posting,I feel your pain. The worst thing of all is even if you wanted to sell and cut your losses you can’t sell it for a fair price because it won’t run that long. :furious:

·
Premium Member
2,685 Posts
Just know that as soon as you start with tune or other than BRP techs wrenching on your car, BRP will be held harmless is any legal proceedings.

Once again, if this isn't the definition of Lemon Law, I don't know what is.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,455 Posts
At this point it appears he has done everything he can to let BRP figure out the issue. BRP should step up and offer to take his car and put all his upgrades off his on a new 2020 and make this go away. Then they should take his car somewhere so they can actually figure out the problem for future reference to dealers and service techs.

·
Premium Member
7,610 Posts
At this point it appears he has done everything he can to let BRP figure out the issue. BRP should step up and offer to take his car and put all his upgrades off his on a new 2020 and make this go away. Then they should take his car somewhere so they can actually figure out the problem for future reference to dealers and service techs.
I have sent multiple emails to that address with tips and info about my situations in the past and what was found. All I get is the bull shit response to take it to my local dealer.

·
Premium Member
6,596 Posts
While I am no Polaris fan, the way they interact with the Polaris forum is significantly better from what I have seen.
The guys there have the back door theough Frank to help with these situations.
I have been really disappointed that BRP has not taken that same approach.

Having an active member with a direct line to BRP for extreme situations and direct feedback like Mega has done would be a great way to keep the Brand in a positive light.

Very frustrating and sad how poorly this and a few other situations have been handled.

Whenever I see a big corporation handle things like this I always think of Chrysler In the late 70's and early 80's when they thought they were too big to fail. They didnt care about quality and customers and almost went out of business. I hope it doesnt get to that, but they need to BRPCare long before anything starts to go downhill to avoid a situation like Chrysler.

OP, we are ALL hoping this gets resolved and you are better off when this gets resolved not just indemnified, you deserve that.

Tim

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
It's been their test bench having it for 9 weeks in service dealing with BRP direct and myself working with a BRP engineer for many hours past that with no resolve. I conveyed this to the dealer which they understood.

As AZ mentioned, that is the exact reason I haven't taken it to anyone else outside of BRP/dealer, especially for a tune.

I sent a letter to dealer which was then forwarded to Can AM covering what I wanted to settle the issue which falls in line with what everyone is suggesting and very reasonable given the circumstances.

If I receive a request to bring it back in to the dealer again for another try I'm reluctant and done with that.
Also the problem has become too intermittent. Way to much time has passed now along with way too much loss.
It could go 15-30 miles or more before it throws the code again.

I with hope BRP/Dealer will provide an exemplary solution.
Without full disclosure of actions, I never go in shooting from the hip.

Support from within our community and social media speaks loudly when wisdom is spoken.

·
Premium Member
9,719 Posts
It's been their test bench having it for 9 weeks in service dealing with BRP direct and myself working with a BRP engineer for many hours past that with no resolve. I conveyed this to the dealer which they understood.

As AZ mentioned, that is the exact reason I haven't taken it to anyone else outside of BRP/dealer, especially for a tune.

I sent a letter to dealer which was then forwarded to Can AM covering what I wanted to settle the issue which falls in line with what everyone is suggesting and very reasonable given the circumstances.

If I receive a request to bring it back in to the dealer again for another try I'm reluctant and done with that.
Also the problem has become too intermittent. Way to much time has passed now along with way too much loss.

Support from within our community and social media speaks loudly when wisdom is spoken.
You have way more patience than me, and for that, I applaud you! Once again, I'm hoping for resolution for you.

·
Registered
9,099 Posts

You are very patient. Hopefully BRP and your dealer get you squared away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
2,299 Posts

Agree with other here...my hat is off to your professionalism in handling this unfortunate, and unnecessary delay of riding.

41 - 60 of 249 Posts