Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

201 - 220 of 252 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,108 Posts
Thanks for asking. I've put about 20 miles on it so far with no issues however from previous experiences it happened up to 100 miles apart.
All I can do is keep up the hope...
At this point, 20 miles is a win! Keep your fingers crossed, and your foot to the floor!

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #205
One thing I have to do is break in my belts at home first rather than throwing a new one on at the dunes with heavy stress from the get go.
So off goes the new one with 20 miles, I'm going to break in the G-Force I bought last year.

Thinking of KMS clutch work as mentioned in different thread, do my own case protection with Epoxy/Kevlar/Carbon even up in the outlet that broke before. Maybe a WS170 next with data logger.

·
Premium Member
10,108 Posts
Before I would do any mods , I would wait and see if your current issue is truly resolved. No point in adding more possible issues to it, just sayin.
Very good advice, Steve!

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #209
Oh I get that and been holding back, I do feel no matter I need a data logger...extra $300 for a tune.
Also while testing I go through belts/cases like water, gets expensive to blow a belt every 150-200 miles which tells me some clutch work is in order as I'm seeing excessive wear. $1000 might be needed to accomplish all of this???

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #211
Sounds like clutch alignment issues
Checked alignment, more like spring tension.

We pull real hard out of very steep soft sand areas sometimes from a dead stop.
Having a winch, bumpers, lowers, S&B, light bars, storage, molded tires ect.. put the car pretty heavy.

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
I set my secondary spring tension to position 5
It helped a lot. I too have a heavy car with 32" tires.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
266 Posts
Glad to hear your machine is running strong again. Just wondering what type of testing are you doing to blow belts and cases so much.

Reactions: HPnMORE4J

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #214
Glad to hear your machine is running strong again. Just wondering what type of testing are you doing to blow belts and cases so much.
Thanks, as mentioned not fully sure if it's cured.

I just know that everyone out here in the unforgiving southern Oregon coast dunes who like to ride hard and fast experiences belt life to only last a couple hundred miles. Again spring tension and RPM I believe with heavy weight cars/paddle have a lot to do with it. Those with clutch mods seem to keep belts intact a little bit longer.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I saw your post #211 and it made sense that belt life would be shortened. Some of those Oregon dune hill shots are steep and deep.Once your confident your car is running 100% reach out to some of the clutch gurus and see if they would be able to improve belt life and performance.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Thanks, as mentioned not fully sure if it's cured.

I just know that everyone out here in the unforgiving southern Oregon coast dunes who like to ride hard and fast experiences belt life to only last a couple hundred miles. Again spring tension and RPM I believe with heavy weight cars/paddle have a lot to do with it. Those with clutch mods seem to keep belts intact a little bit longer.
I went 600 miles in my X3RS before blowing my first belt, one week in Glamis, the rest in Oregon Dunes from Sand Lake to Coos Bay. Most of it was pretty fast riding as long as the wife was in camp, lol. Luckily my belt case didn't break, but I just received a carbon fiber cover, $299 shipped forum special. Thanks, Full Throttle Off Road.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #217
I went 600 miles in my X3RS before blowing my first belt, one week in Glamis, the rest in Oregon Dunes from Sand Lake to Coos Bay. Most of it was pretty fast riding as long as the wife was in camp, lol. Luckily my belt case didn't break, but I just received a carbon fiber cover, $299 shipped forum special. Thanks, Full Throttle Off Road.
Some of those side hills and holes are damn near vertical and really soft fine deep heavy sand where you have to mash the pedal down, you can feel the machine working hard as hell. We also ride the ATV trails with high tight twisting banked turns that you have to be on the throttle hard with 4wd to pull you around otherwise you'll fly over the top of one into a tree.

Will have to post some videos sometime!

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Man that sound like lot's of fun!
Oregon dunes are a completely different breed from Glamis and St Anthony..
Until you ride all three you'd wouldn't understand..

I enjoy the desert and rocks so much more to see now days..
40+ years on Oregon dunes and I'm done..

Sent from BLR Logistics

·
Registered
680 Posts
Oregon dunes are a completely different breed from Glamis and St Anthony..
Until you ride all three you'd wouldn't understand..

I enjoy the desert and rocks so much more to see now days..
40+ years on Oregon dunes and I'm done..

Sent from BLR Logistics
We've been riding the Oregon dunes since the '70's and watched the changes over the years. As you know, Sand Lake has course sand that supports full size trucks running around. Florence and Winchester Bay have the tallest and most challenging climbs. I can remember being up on the top of one dune, riders at the bottom looking like ants, and climbing a dune taller then the one you're on, looping around a tree stump and coming back down. Most of that is gone now because of increased use or closed as a noise buffer. Coos Bay is spread out and most people get lost the first time out. And, of course it rains a lot on the coast, so the sand is clean and usually moist but considered clean.

Glamis sand has sweeping sidehills that loop from one to another and popular destinations like Old's Hill. China Wall, Swing Set and more. But, without rain the sand is fine and seems dirty. Now with a 20+ hour drive will I go back to Glamis?? Of course!! But, it's only, yes, only, a 6 - 7 hour drive to Oregon dunes. And I'm hooked on sand!

201 - 220 of 252 Posts