Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

181 - 200 of 245 Posts

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Been following this thread with my own misfire problems and thought others may benefit from your insight (I've been fighting P0303 when I get well into boost, past 3/4 throttle).

I have not been able to find any information on turning off misfire codes with the DJPV - just clearing them. How did you do this, Chris? Does this also eliminate the resulting limp-mode? Being able to data log during the misfire without the ECU going into limp-mode would certainly help.

first, is your tune locked?
if it is, contact your tuner and have him turn it off...
mine is off and I can use two step launch ( lots of misfire) and not get any errors

pv.jpg

also set both threshold to deactivation tables to all zero

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #182
For the sake of due diligence (fresh set of eyes) I have an appointment with another dealership who had been recommended by many in the area.

Had a long talk with the service manager about my situation, even though I had to wait over a week for an appointment they are making sure they have time for their most senior techs on it.

In the mean time I've put a lot of effort to come up with suggestions from connecting the dots along with help from the engineer who personally contacts me from Canada that I still stay in touch with, I know he feels bad about the situation.
I as well contacted the extended warranty company who has shelled out a couple thousand for nothing and spoke to the claims manager for over an hour who was pretty tech savvy. At this point all of us feel the turbo/wastegate/exhaust manifold is the main area of concern. Also questioning the valvetrain is as well.
Well keeping fingers crossed....

Ok......after taking it to different dealer and discussing with their senior tech in person for an hour who as been around the block with race car engine building including Keith Black, he as well felt the turbo/wastegate area was an area to look at.

Without much time the culprit is more than likely the wastegate actuator solenoid causing over boost. We'll see! Prayers appreciated...lol

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
your not getting overboost/underboost errors
and why would overboost make a misfire
I run 30 psi with out misfire, stock turbo cant make that

the coils get there power from one fuse that feeds all the coils and fuel injectors
double check this power source like a loose fuse, broken wire, bad fuse or bad fuse box
both the coils and fuel injectors fire by ecu grounding them
if they loose power you will get misfires, check the power connection near ecu
I bet this is your problem

·
Premium Member
2,080 Posts
Hopefully thats it, sorta funny that brp and the other dealer couldn't figure it out, Id be embarrassed if I was the service manager at the other shop, , pretty much a jiffy lube shop.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I was getting misfire codes on my 2017 XDS with 5400 miles on it after updating to 2018 fuel pump and getting the Power tune stage 1 + installing a Bad Ass belt. (Called the worlds best belt)

I've been e-mailing Andy at Power tune to see what can be causing it, re-set misfire codes and vehicle runs great for about 30 min then codes pop up.

Also after installing the Bad Ass belt the car would start jerking when I would take off, would run fine once you got up to 15 MPH but stop and it would jerk taking off again.
At first I thought the belt just needed to break in and it would be fine, 120 miles later still codes pop up Misfire and car still jerking taking off.

Andy stated belts can cause misfires but not so much on the X3 more on the RZRs, I figured why not try putting on my old belt (Gates) just to see what it would do.

After installing in the car took off smooth no jerking, after it got warmed up I bet the S*** out of it for about 30 min.

Not one jerking take off and no codes at all, let it cool then hammered on it again ran with no issues.

I was getting very frustrated with the misfire codes on my last 2 trips and I would have never that A belt could cause issue but as of now all my issues went away once the (Worlds best belt) was removed.

I'm going to keep testing the vehicle on the street till I can get up north to put it on a 10 hour ride and see if it stays running with out issues.

I'm only sharing what I know to be true, I'm not stating the Bad Ass belt is junk it's just not working with my setup that's all.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
change spark plugs and close gap to .025 or less
new plugs are .035 and are for stock boost
you raised the boost on old (bigger gap than new)
its the most common cause for misfire codes

·
Registered
13 Posts
Fingers crossed.

Put new plugs in (Brisk Plugs) after the first misfire issue gap to .020 then after talking with Andy he said .025 to .028 works great, I gap to .026 roughly.

I only changed the plug gap because Andy stated .020 at those boost levels is a bandaid for a bad tune.

I'll just keep the fingers crossed on this one, I feel for HPnMORE4J I would have blowed up by now with the issues.

I'm still learning about the issue that can pop up on the X3 but one thing for sure the forum helps people a great deal.

341 Posts
Put new plugs in (Brisk Plugs) after the first misfire issue gap to .020 then after talking with Andy he said .025 to .028 works great, I gap to .026 roughly.

I only changed the plug gap because Andy stated .020 at those boost levels is a bandaid for a bad tune.

I'll just keep the fingers crossed on this one, I feel for HPnMORE4J I would have blowed up by now with the issues.

I'm still learning about the issue that can pop up on the X3 but one thing for sure the forum helps people a great deal.
Tighter plug gap isn't a bandaid for a bad tune. Once combustion pressures reach a certain point it can blow the spark out and create missfires. Especially when your pushing 30+ lbs of boost.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #190
lol.....of course my luck on this machine, on top of it when I got the call to say they felt they found the issue the service manager started out saying "I have some good news and some bad news..

"The good news is I believe we found the issue (wastegate actuator solenoid) the bad news is the belt grenaded and took out the housing".

They want $500+ for belt, housing and labor, I said anyone I know who breaks it pays for it, they came back with "we have no control over that" but offered a 15% discount. I'm planning on talking with the GM on Tuesday to see if I can work a better deal otherwise I can buy a belt and inner housing for about $260 or so.

I will have the housing Line-X'd this go round. I would do just the inner metallic liner however my last belt took out the exit port where the liner wouldn't have done any good. Maybe I'll do both?

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
just put a belt on it
and run it...make sure its fixed....which I doubt
what good is a new housing an a machine that does not run

·
Premium Member
2,080 Posts
Fingers crossed , but like skidoo, saysrun first to make sure all is good then worry about the cover

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
lol.....of course my luck on this machine, on top of it when I got the call to say they felt they found the issue the service manager started out saying "I have some good news and some bad news..

"The good news is I believe we found the issue (wastegate actuator solenoid) the bad news is the belt grenaded and took out the housing".

They want $500+ for belt, housing and labor, I said anyone I know who breaks it pays for it, they came back with "we have no control over that" but offered a 15% discount. I'm planning on talking with the GM on Tuesday to see if I can work a better deal otherwise I can buy a belt and inner housing for about $260 or so.

I will have the housing Line-X'd this go round. I would do just the inner metallic liner however my last belt took out the exit port where the liner wouldn't have done any good. Maybe I'll do both?
Man talk about a kick in the teeth! Yeah were here to help , Oh by the way we blew your belt and cover so that will be 500 bucks. Class act eh!

·
Premium Member
9,356 Posts
Well, like everything else, one step forward, two steps back. Hopefully once you get the new belt / cover, you'll be fixed and running!

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #200
Ok now for the testing, just got it back.... so far so good but last time it took almost 100 miles before it started back frequently.
Hopefully that wastegate actuator solenoid was the culprit.

Got a hold of the owner of the dealership prior to pick up and they are covering the belt/case, I'm sure they didn't wash the belt so off it comes and also to check clutch before running it any further and breaking the belt in. Also think I'll put a liner in or Line-X the case.

181 - 200 of 245 Posts