Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I stopped by the dealer and asked if my Mav was ready to pick up. He laughed and said that it takes about a week to get parts, and that some of the parts I need aren't even in the system yet. And he thought they just ordered them today. He said that everything will be covered. That's the primary, secondary, and belt. They are also going to replace all seals in the diff, because the input seal was seeping. And they are even going to replace the left rear outer cv boot, that had just started slinging a little grease. He said I should be able to pick it up next Friday. I haven't ordered a new primary yet. So I will be running it with the stock parts, at least for a while, and I still won't be using the cover. I have some apprehension about running the stronger bolt I got from AIRDAM. If the cvt exploded again, and that bolt is in there, then what? I think that if it breaks again, I'd rather it all be stock. But at the same time, I don't want to be stranded out in the dunes! It's just too hard to recover a vehicle from the middle of the dunes. What to do what to do???

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Are they going to perform the clutch bolt recall work?
I would think you should be ok after that.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
absolutely DO NOT use airdam bolt (for now). as you said, give them a reason to deny warranty and its all on you. try the new set up, could have been some flukes or something, we just dont know for sure. take this new set up out and break it in a little, then ride it like you stole it, ride it hard, do what you do, see how it holds. it may very well hold up fine. if not you have another warranty claim that cant be denied for any reasons. If it should break again, they may have something else to do then, who knows, once your out of warranty, or if it does it again, then use the airdam bolt. and when yoru warranty is up, switch to airdam bolt then if you like. I can tell you from previous experience, get caught with some mod, especially one that is in the direct line of the repair, brp can deny it. do what you want, im just saying play it safe, see what happens, this one may run fine, like most peoples does...

In the end you have nothing to lose by leaving it stock for now, changing later if you want. the other way, you may (MAY) have a issue with repairs. The old saying ( included in the warranty paper also) use a non oem or non oem approved mod, or non dealer installed mod it can be grounds for deny).

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok! I'm leaving it the way I get it from the dealer. I'll just make sure I do a lot more riding in Superstition before I go back to Glamis! I'll do 40 miles of 40-50 mph riding to break the belt in just like I did last Saturday. Then I'll let all hell break loose!!! If I can break it again, I'll sugest when I take it in that Can Am put an aftermarket primary in, lol! This way I can test if the belt will last with a crappy slipping primary and no cvt cover.

·
Registered
728 Posts
If your clutch should come unglued again would running it without a cover be dangerous of fly [exploding] debris? I know the cover is only plastic.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The cover under the seat stopped it. It felt the same as when the belt exploded. So now that I've had the worst possible scenario happen, I see no problem with not having the cover on.

·
Registered
468 Posts
U guys kill me sometimes. Thread upon thread of blown apart clutches. Sometimes even the same guy twice. But u seem to think the dealer or can am is gonna do a miracle patch. If you don'tt want to pay for warranty work I understand. But think about the amount of downtine your machines are sitting up at the dealer. You all KNOW what tge absolute fix is. Upgrade the primary andnd bolts. Is a small price to pay for aPeice of mind. Glamis no matter what factory set up they ever throw back on ur mave, when ur out in the middle of no where ur always gonna be worried about getting stranded. Screw that !!! I'd rather pay 800 bucks and know my machine will hold together than to hope a rhino is in the area everyevery time I ride. Kinda sucks to whoop everyones ass off the jump only to find the turtle carrying the hare back to camp every time.

Reactions: Andy

·
Registered
468 Posts
And btw, imagine what the little turds at the dealership are doing to ur machines after they put them back together. I dropped my xmr off for service and when I went to pick it up. Had to wait an extra 30 minutes for them to "wash" it. Which pretty much consisted of them rinsing excess mud off. Strange seeing how it was clean when I dropped it off....

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Glamisfan..... Just so you know, my XRS needed the recall, VIN 0339. My dealer performed the recall before I picked it up. My dealer is wonderful and very competent. Their best mechanic did the clutch recall and made sure everything was exact.

Saturday was my first ride in the maverick. I made it 27.6 miles before it exploded.

I love Can-am and I am the furthest thing from a hater. My plan is to drop it of today at the dealer have warranty replace everything so I have all new parts. While its being fixed I will be ordering a new primary. Ill stick all the stock parts on the shelf for when I sell or trade.

By the way I'm a trail rider, no mud no sand just trails. We do ride hard and fast but no other variable. Also stock size tires.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I know I know I know! I'm being stupid just postponing the inevitable! I decided yesterday to look for a CVTech today so I can take the stock primary off when I get it back. I don't like the CVTech, it's old school technology, that no sled would be caught dead using. A roller primary is a way better way to go. But the STM is too mush $. And I am quite certain that the QSC being 3/4" smaller od would lose some top end. So I really only have one choice. Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Hmmm good point in Qsc, that was what I was going to do. I'm not a fan of the CVtech either.

I planned to order the QSC. Does anyone on here have one?

·
Premium Member
8,276 Posts
Me personally I am going to blow through stock clutches. Its under warranty and if I have to carry spare clutches I will. The only reason in my mind to go to an aftermarket clutch is more performance. The stock clutching was designed and built for normal off road driving, now if that is not up to the task then the repairs are all on BRP.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
I see!Thanks for the info. Well.....BLAH I hate to spend the money for an STM, I liked the simplicity of the QSC.

·
Registered
468 Posts
And the time spent without a machine is all on you. Desert guys are lucky because if it shatters ur housing u can nearly run without one. Not so much so for anyone who rides in anything wet. And to answer the question above. No one here had a QSC in their machine. QSC in Wisconsin is still waiting on s machine. Kris who deals QSC out of Houston did some testing recently but has yet to post any info on it. (I'll forgive him till after mud nats is over) . Adam Harvey (airdam cv tech) has clutches on about 4 machines on this forum including mine. Theres 2 threads on here if u want info on a comparison between the 2. But honestly until someone actually gets a QSC on a maverick and posts the info, its all speculation and opinions on the QSC side. However, im sure that once it does happen it will be just as good as the cv tech. I just wasnt willing to wait that long.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
I hate to wait, but I do think this is the best set up other than the STM.

Email below just sent from QSC-

We are testing in 2 weeks on the maverick. The speed limiter is 73mph and we get that on the commanders with the same secondary. We get about 82mph at the rev limiter with a atv on 25" tires. The maverick has 27's so it should get 86 mph on the rev limiter with the speed limiter gone.
QuadShop Customs
QuadShop Customs

1 - 20 of 46 Posts