Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about running unleaded race fuel in the maverick has anyone else tried it and does it run any better?

Thanks Rich

·
Registered
684 Posts
Glad u figured out how to post. I run VP110 in my quad and dirtbike because both have built motors. Quad has a 13.5:1 JE piston and dirtbike has a 14:1 CP piston. You do not need to or want to run race fuel in this motor due to the price and the fact that you will actually lose power.
With that said I will only run non ethanol premium in my maverick. The ethanol in the fuel will cause nothing but problems with your fuel injection system.
Find a fuel station with ethanol free fuel unless you actually plan on bumping the compression up on your motor.

·
Vendor
6,219 Posts
I would say the best running gas mixture would be over 91, probably about 95. Straight race gas and you'll loose a little power, but a mixture is best

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
I agree a mix is better. My Teryx has 12:1 pistons and I ran a 50/50 mix. 50% 110 & 50% 91 which makes it about 100 octane.
Running the higher octance makes the engine run crisper. It seems to run easier and with just a little peppier. I don' know if it makes more power.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Seems that about every 6 months or so this gets revisited. Here is a thread on the commanders forums about running a higher than recommended octane value. I go into detail about it. In Summary... you are getting less power and performance by running a higher octane unless your vehicle can account for it!!! Read this!! Fuel ?? - Can-Am Commander Forum

·
Registered
229 Posts
Are you saying the Maverick's ecu can change values with the higher octane... or do the racers have an
aftermarket unit programmer to do it for them? Why would you want to run a higher octane when it has
less power (energy)?

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
It has a knock sensor. I hear a ping or knock while running at Glamis, usually when slowing for a G out and then gassing it on the uphill. I never hear it in the desert though. I also read that it will cut timing when it sences detonation (ping,knock,whatever you want to call it). That way you can run it on Pemex (87 mex fuel).

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
So what we have here is a dang smart car!

·
Vendor
6,219 Posts
Yes. The ECU is pretty smart. That's what Can Am has told us racers to run for being safe and having power.

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
Are you saying the Maverick's ecu can change values with the higher octane... or do the racers have an
aftermarket unit programmer to do it for them? Why would you want to run a higher octane when it has
less power (energy)?
unless the gizmo helps with 95 oct,

the only other thing higher octane does is run cooler

other wise if ur motor cant use it RIGHT , its worthless

·
Registered
229 Posts
Yes. The ECU is pretty smart. That's what Can Am has told us racers to run for being safe and having power.
The same Can am that said my 2011 Commanders screaming rear diff whine was normal or that the Maverick clutch is perfect!! :)
Seriously though... it is not possible to get more power from higher octane. The lower the octane the more energy it has.
The reason why the Maverick runs 91 is because of the higher compression and they don't want to blow the engine up with more
energy (bigger explosion in cylinder head).

It has a knock sensor. I hear a ping or knock while running at Glamis, usually when slowing for a G out and then gassing it on the uphill. I never hear it in the desert though. I also read that it will cut timing when it sences detonation (ping,knock,whatever you want to call it). That way you can run it on Pemex (87 mex fuel).
The reason for the knock sensor is to protect the engine from lower octane (more energy). It will do nothing for adding higher octane nor give
it more power. It senses detonation. Detonation is a condition where the fuel / air mixture ignites in the combustion chamber before the spark plug fires.
Detonation will sound like knocking or marbles rattling around in the engine compartment.When detonation is sensed the engine management computer
will retard the ignition timing and alter the fuel air mixture until the detonation stops. This will prevent engine damage. Detonation can cause severe
internal engine damage. You risk burning valves or pistons. Either are very expensive to repair.

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
1 - 19 of 19 Posts