12K views 51 replies 21 participants last post by  Hunting721 
#1 · (Edited)
uhoh found this while changing oil tonight, update 1/21/13

See less See more
#2 ·
ummmmmmm what the hell is it ? lol

good thing for magnetic drain plug

#3 ·
Doooh. Definitly not the sign you were looking for......

#11 ·
Is it hallow? Looking at the motor on the BRP parts view there does not seem to be any part that small in side other than the oiler jets. All the pins or shafts look to big in comparison to the drain plug. There are a few small pins on the oil pump gear, but you would know if it was not pumping oil.

#12 ·
Not hollow. Its pinched in the middle and broken. It also has a lot of scarring on it. I would guess from being kicked around in the motor.

Also the oil has no chips I could see and very little fine metal dust on the magnetic plug.

#15 ·
i agree, it may have been poor assembly by some one, i dont see any part that could be, and if it was im sure you would have other big time signs. however, i would take it to dealer, without oil in it, drain plus out and those pienes and say your seriously worried, make them open it up and see that no issues or damages exist and get it on the record for future use if need be. but im betting its all ok. but i would not tell the dealer that, make them go over it big time and most important notify brp so they can fire someone.

#17 ·
exactly, i will load it up in the am and be at the dealer when they open at 10am.

i was going top the dunes saturday, and then dropping it off for a cage on monday but i guess that will all have to wait.

#18 ·
Keep some of your oil. And get a sample kit. If you live around a place that has large equipment dealers like Cat, John Deere, Komatsu or large trucks like Kenworth, Mack, freightliner ect.( or a full blown race shop) They will have a place to send it or do it in house. Our Cat dealer does it in house in a day or so. It will show how much copper ,aluminum and such is in the oil telling you what is wearing out. If your dealer does not help you right away and tells you to run it. I would take another sample at your next oil change. Compare them and if something is really going wrong inside you will get more metal showing up. If it was just something left in there the sample would clean up if it did not do any damage.

Google BRP parts catalog. The Maverick is up and look through the motor and see if anything looks like the piece you found. I find it hard to believe you would still be running with something that big missing from inside you're motor.

#21 ·
I have been around the Can-Am quads and quad forums for a few years. Does not look familiar at all. My money would be on something left from assembly. The fine shavings/dust on the drain plug magnet looks normal. I would definitely bring the pieces to the dealer anyhow and have them document it and let them make a decision whether or not they want to investigate further.

#22 ·
Holy crap, that is just another reason that taking it to the dealer early on is a good idea. I would certainly have them verify it and get it recorded "for the record" in your maintenance record. Let them decide if it needs to be opened up. You are damn luck it is still running.

#23 ·
Now im glad they sent all the first ones out west far away from me. I want the units put together after everybody learned how to assemble them. Thanks BRP!

#26 ·
I dropped it off at apache Honda and they are contacting brp to see what to do. They don't even have a service manual for the maverick yet. I even tried to order one and there is no part number for one.

#27 ·
Could it be a couple small roller bearings?? If there's a bearing internally that has roller bearing. Or could be some FOD (foreign object damage) that slipped by one of the quality assurance rep., during assembly. I would make sure the dealer take your engine apart and inspect it. Sorry for you, their going to have your Mav for a minute, going over the warranty stuff and waiting on parts. So stay on top of them. I remember when the Cmdrs came out and some of the guys broke things and the dealer took awhile to get them back on the road. Maybe not this around time cause they should have plenty of repair parts onhand. Good luck!!!

#31 ·
i pulled the filter and found no chips in it.

the dealer has contacted BRP and is in the process of sending pictures to their tech services department. I just called BRP and have a case number, so i hope this issue will be delt with swiftly.

#32 ·
I hope everything works out for you with this issue! down time sucks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.