Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Please post your opinion:

UHMW Skid Plate vs Aluminum skid plates and why?

Also, does the aftermarket have hole to reach to your CVT?

Thank you.

·
Official Site Vendor
6,042 Posts
UHMW will take its shape back, slides over objects better and doesn't rattle. Most skid plates UHMW or aluminum will have limited access while the skid plate is installed, you don't want a bunch of access holes in your skid plate to snag on everything.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. This is helpful as I would've just bought the aluminum. If you have to remove the skid plate, that'll take a lot of time to change the belt while in the trail since canam have like 20 plastic fasteners + 10 bolts + skid plate fasteners. That'll be like half a day work.

UHMW will take its shape back, slides over objects better and doesn't rattle. Most skid plates UHMW or aluminum will have limited access while the skid plate is installed, you don't want a bunch of access holes in your skid plate to snag on everything.

·
Registered
230 Posts
They all hang up, holes to fasteners. Aluminum has an advantage too, it strengthens your chassis and is stronger. Been used for years as a skid plate. Plastic is cool too, but way over priced in this sport, so you will spend your money on having the latest thing popular. As with all the products made as aftermarket items, so enticing you can't wait to order it...

Consider what I just said...

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
The main advantage of UHMW is how easy it slides over rocks or obstacles and how durable it is. Aluminum tends to gouge, scrape and drag when going over rocks where UHMW doesn't. Aluminum also can crack & rattle. There is also a lot of difference in the different UHMW skid manufacturers skid designs so do your homework. Some are just a cut out of your factory skids which only covers the vitals which is fine if you don't really do anything serious but if plan on actually going off road then you want a full body skid. The full body skid basically gives you a full sheet under your car and minimizes anything that you can get hung up on & again allows you to just slide over everything. Most UHMW manufacturers do have drain/vent holes & access holes for cvt & drain plugs but again they are all different so you would need to check. I personally run Factory UTV skids on 4 of my machines now. They brought UHMW to the UTV market & have a proven record of their product podium in all the toughest races there are. Baja, KOH, BITD and so on.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you.

The main advantage of UHMW is how easy it slides over rocks or obstacles and how durable it is. Aluminum tends to gouge, scrape and drag when going over rocks where UHMW doesn't. Aluminum also can crack & rattle. There is also a lot of difference in the different UHMW skid manufacturers skid designs so do your homework. Some are just a cut out of your factory skids which only covers the vitals which is fine if you don't really do anything serious but if plan on actually going off road then you want a full body skid. The full body skid basically gives you a full sheet under your car and minimizes anything that you can get hung up on & again allows you to just slide over everything. Most UHMW manufacturers do have drain/vent holes & access holes for cvt & drain plugs but again they are all different so you would need to check. I personally run Factory UTV skids on 4 of my machines now. They brought UHMW to the UTV market & have a proven record of their product podium in all the toughest races there are. Baja, KOH, BITD and so on.

·
Official Site Vendor
6,792 Posts
UHMW all the way. Aluminum will stop you dead in your tracks on a serous rock obstacle that hangs up under your machine. UHMW or plastic of any kind will just glide over the same obstacle with a little throttle.

Holes are personal preference and a double edged sword. More holes = better access to machine vitals and better drainage. More holes also allow more debris and dirt in between the skid and your chassis. My personal preference is just enough holes for access to vital fluids and a couple of drain holes for water crossings.

I sell four brands of plastic skids including FUTV, Trail Armor, SSS and Tusk. Each brand of skid has its plus and minuses. I will name a few below:

FUTV- has an extensive list of options and thicknesses for each skid that can customize the skid to match your needs.
Trail Armor- builds premium 1/2" high quality plastic skids for extreme abuse in different colors
SSS- 3/8" 100% UHMW skids with or without rock guards that are competitively priced
Tusk- Value priced skids for less money

Here is a link to my website. PM for any info needed. I have all the product even if they are not listed on the web site.

https://www.proutvparts.com/collections/utv-skid-plates-and-under-body-protection

·
Registered
244 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts