Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to make a full skid plate and guard for the foot area for my mav out of 3/8 inch uhmw. How easy is it to shape uhmw? Is there any tricks to it?

·
Registered
528 Posts
I'm going to make a full skid plate and guard for the foot area for my mav out of 3/8 inch uhmw. How easy is it to shape uhmw? Is there any tricks to it?
Its very easy to bend and mold with a propane torch...we cut and bend ours all the time...of course we run UHMW skids from Factory UTV...but since its a custom built race car we need to modify different pieces...we actually used a left over piece for the base of our Jack..
IMG_0954.jpg

Reactions: k goodrich

·
Registered
528 Posts
Thank you. Now I will order my sheet of uhmw
where did you order it from? we have ideas for all kinds of uses and could use some blank sheets. I should ask the same question of Factory UTV ;)

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
How come nobody uses 5/16th or 1/4" material instead of 3/8"?

·
Vendor
6,220 Posts
Marty unless its backed by a piece of steel or aluminum anything less than 3/8 will deflect too easily.

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
Marty unless its backed by a piece of steel or aluminum anything less than 3/8 will deflect too easily.
Kinda like the stock skid plates :crazy:

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
3/8" is nice and thick. I got the A-Arm protectors from Alex and those protectors are stout. I will eventually get the 3/8" skid plate. Actually I really cant see a need for 1/2" thick. The 3/8" thick stuff is seriously heavy duty.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was going to order them out of san Francisco and have a buddy pick them up when he was going to truck thru there.. but he just quit his job to work in the oil fields... so I'm going to rethink my plans

·
Premium Member
8,276 Posts
i bought my sheets from Port Plastic in Chandler AZ. 3/8' thick 4'x10' sheets. pretty easy to cut, use a router and bend with heat.

this stuff is very slippery, it slid out of the bed of my truck twice while bringing it home, i only live 2 miles from Port Plastic too.

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
how much did they charge for a sheet?

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
Thanks...

·
Registered
33 Posts
UHMW is fairly malleable, just don't get to aggressive with the torch, they can eventually melt like regular plastic. Fortunately, most skid plates don't require much bending, so the router will likely handle most of the job.

·
Registered
103 Posts
How are you attaching it underneath? Are you removing all of the factory material? Will you then just use self tapping screws to attach it? Every 6-8 inches?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts