Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, wear your seat belts and your nets.

I took a buddy to the restroom, went to turn around and it went over on its side like it got hit by a truck.

I still don't really know what happened. I've driven countless hours in RZRs but this is my first BRP with wheels.

Good news, other than being a bit sore, no structural damage, just a broken plastic cover, and some hurt pride. It was in front of a public crowd in a non performance location. Attempting a turn around about 10-15 mph. Sprained my wrist trying to cut the wheel back the other way, passenger hit his head on the ground a little.

So, we flipped it back on its wheels, and it drove fine.

I will say I lost interest in driving it after that. Im having trouble trusting it.

(While not an expert in this type of driving, im a decent performance driver, both on and offroad, drive my raptor at offroad events, and the RZR, and do many track events as a director of Shelby.)

It has me questioning this purchase.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Wow! That's crazy! 10-15 mph?? Glad you and your passenger are okay. It sounds like a freak accident but I look forward to people with more seat time than me (I just purchased mine 2 weeks ago).

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
u prolly caught a rut also spinning the rear tires then turning is better u want ur ass to slide not grip

ive gotten mine on 2 wheels a lil b4 to

·
Registered
410 Posts
Bummer Dubbs no near tips for me yet, do you have aftermarket harnesses or still running the stock seat belts? I'm thinking a good pair of harnesses should have kept your passengers head off the ground.... If properly used.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I took mine out to the woods, felt like I was going to tip it twice (poor reflexive action, I grabbed onto the rollbar, haha). Its much top heavier than my rzr was, drove that thing like crazy and never felt like it was going to tip.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
I put 2" wheel spacers on mine for this very reason. Factory set up is a little narrow for the CofG hgt. Much more stable with the spacers. You can also get some new rims with different offset to widen the stance as well.

Reactions: Dubbs

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
I drive mine like an idiot, and no near rollovers yet!
No comment...lol.

I'm right there with Glamis...I lawn darted off a dune once, but haven't rolled it yet

·
Registered
10 Posts
It cracks me up how it's always the same story I was only going 10-15 mph and it just rolled over. And instantly want to blame the car. How about just telling every one what happened. You ran out of TALENT. But I'm glad your ok and there was no damage to the car.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Must not be much in the talent can if its empty at only 10-15mph

Reactions: That Guy and Brayla

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
Tough crowd...LOL. I find talent is directly proportional to the amount of alcohol consumed. Right now I'm extremely un talented.

·
Registered
502 Posts
This sounds like barbs flip, but she popped a tierod. I have driven a wheel off my machine without flipping it (bite my tongue) literally :shocked:
I know last time my wife drove she was trying to flip it n nothing. They are extremely stable,Maybe Jack flipped it or it coulda been jäger he's the one that try's flipping mine all the time. But even with those two guys always trying to push me over I haven't flipped anything (knock on wood) except bugers back at camp..... Get up,dust yourself off,take the raggin your friends give you..like a man, n get back out there. Trust me that machine is more dependable then your driving.:smile:

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yeah, ran out of talent... That must be it.

We were running offroad all day long wide open. During lunch break -
(I run an event near Big Bend every year for Shelby owners to raise money for local charities in Terlingua, and its located at an airport where we run our cars 1/4 and 1/2 mile drags. The offroad stuff just happened out of chance when we took off in my raptor across the desert three years ago, and decided to start bringing my RZR and doing ride alongs.)
I took one if the other directors over to where the lunchroom was so he could take a piss, he jumped back in, and then we were gonna head over to a gas pump. I was facing the opposite way, so I went to turn around, (not on pavement) and it just went over. I was unable to get the steering wheel to budge once it started going, hence the sprained wrist- irony being I got the SuperATV kit the day before I left, but just ran out of time to install, and I believe it would have saved us if I could have cut the wheel back the other way.

There were a shitload of people around us, so as a director, it would have been almost as stupid as some of you guys would have me made out to be to go full throttle through a crowd of local spectators and many kids.

I see this forum has its fair share of trolls. My intention was to give a heads up on a potential serious circumstantial issue, not to have some of you experts go off half cocked about something you know zero about.

Thanks for the positive feedback though- I will feel free to not share a damn thing in the future. When some poor guy crushes one of his kids in a neighborhood incident of this, you guys can tell him what a poor driver he must have been.

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
Dubbs - Take all of the ribbing with a grain of salt. Nobody on here means any harm and you will find if you read thru some threads that if/when anyone has wrecked and gotten hurt, that everyone has been very caring and sympathetic. Don't let the responses on here hinder you from sharing in the wealth of information available on the forum. I think if you spend more time on here you will see that they are treating you like you were their riding buddy and giving you some grief…..blow it off and carry on.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Dubbs - Take all of the ribbing with a grain of salt. Nobody on here means any harm and you will find if you read thru some threads that if/when anyone has wrecked and gotten hurt, that everyone has been very caring and sympathetic. Don't let the responses on here hinder you from sharing in the wealth of information available on the forum. I think if you spend more time on here you will see that they are treating you like you were their riding buddy and giving you some grief…..blow it off and carry on.
Thanks for the civilized response. I understand that kind of response out on the trail. If somebody spins out or goes off track and there are no injuries, we are all exactly the same way, and believe me, there have been times I have plum run out of talent.

Im trying really hard to convey that this was nothing more than a shuttle trip from one end of the Tarmac to the other just off the pavement. If it had happened under performance driving out on a trail, I would be bragging and posting pictures. But I have used my side x sides in our neighborhood for driving the family around, down to the pool, or to some of our neighbors, (its a gated community out in BFE with several miles of roads and all of drive golf carts or mules of some kind) and I just keep thinking what if this had happened with my kids in the back?

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
This kind of thing can happen, so that's also the reason why seat belts get fastened EVERY single time the engine starts. NO MATTER WHAT.

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
Thanks for the civilized response. I understand that kind of response out on the trail. If somebody spins out or goes off track and there are no injuries, we are all exactly the same way, and believe me, there have been times I have plum run out of talent.

Im trying really hard to convey that this was nothing more than a shuttle trip from one end of the Tarmac to the other just off the pavement. If it had happened under performance driving out on a trail, I would be bragging and posting pictures. But I have used my side x sides in our neighborhood for driving the family around, down to the pool, or to some of our neighbors, (its a gated community out in BFE with several miles of roads and all of drive golf carts or mules of some kind) and I just keep thinking what if this had happened with my kids in the back?
I can relate.....we drive it around the neighborhood as well. I can say they are a totally different machine on asphalt than on the dirt... Are you running stock tires? If so, what where the air pressures? I could easily see the front tire gripping and pulling the wheel out of your hands due to lack of power steering and actually over steering on it's own and causing it to flip.

And I agree 100% with desertdog - you sit in the seat, the harnesses get buckled before the engine starts.....it is a pin with harnesses but will eventually pay off...

1 - 20 of 36 Posts