Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

Two Seat X3 to 4 seat Max conversion, The MEGAmax build

43K views 221 replies 43 participants last post by  Megadesertdiesel 
#1 ·
So i wanted more wheelbase and Room for the wife and dog. I ordered up a 2020 max frame in January along with every gusset kit i could find. Lonestar racing, TMW, Weller racing, S3 Powersports and UTV Distribution is where i looked to for extra strength i wanted.

The frame arrived and i sent it out to be chemically stripped and sand blasted to ensure i had bare metal to weld onto. Along with the above kits i expanded upon them and added my own where i felt the need and a couple just because i had a bare frame. I also made my own front shock tower support with limit strap tabs. After over 40 hours of welding i used a case of Steel-It (stainless steel paint) tO cover everything. Then i added over 150 nutcerts to the bottom of the frame to hold the skid plates and panels on. I was going to powdercoat but i change and weld to things all too much to do that.

After all the gussets and plating i weighed the frame at the local rock yard and i only adde 60# of weight to a 300# starting point. Yes thats right!! the max frame with upper OEM cage only weighs 300#. Not bad for a pile of muffler tubing.

Next up was building a rollcage that connected to the 2020 frame in the 6 OEM Plus two A-pillar supports and two rear upper shock mount tabs. For a total 10 connections to the frame, Gonna be a solid unit.

I started pulling the two seater apart this morning after a Bleach burnout in the garage.

See less See more
#5 ·
well ended up the day with all of the aftermarket wired accessories removed. Tomorrow is cooling system, Fuel system and engine removal. I’m ashamed to say i had a rats nest of wiring and will be investing in switch-pros for the MEGAmax.

#9 ·
all ready to pull motor after lunch.

Ill cut and splice In 36” here To 41 different wires. I’d love to have same color wires but trying to buy short pieces aint gonna happen. I though about maybe buying a used harness off ebay just for the wires then resell on ebay for the plug ends.

#14 ·
Lowrance yes and ALWAYS!!! Eff tablets that you cannot see and have 13 wires hanging off them just to make them work piss poor. Been there done that!

I picked up an older Lowance with an 11” screen and it will be placed infront of the steering wheel and gauge cluster relocated to center where the device holder was. Then two 8 button switch-pros under that.

Seats? Yeah i picked up some brand new stockers from a buddy, and figured why not sell the old ones and use the new ones. I only like Sparco and Kirkey style seats, but that aint in my budget right now. Main goal is to get this car up and running then think about doors and seats later.

BTW i have the electronic device holder for sale since the Lowrance sold without it.

#15 ·
No you dont!! I’m up by 5am beating, banging, and grinding on shit fri, sat and sundays. My neighbors just stop by and ask what i building next. And next is a 14’ trailer to haul this turd on, my 123D wasn’t long enough.

#23 ·
There is an old saying there buddy, "What can go wrong will go wrong" lol One wire terminated with the wrong wire could at the least cause you hours of troubleshooting. Down the road when corrosion builds up (and it will sooner or later) in one or more of your splices causing intermittent running issues that you may or may not ever resolve. Or worse case one wrong wire could toast you ECM and/or Gauge cluster. So in the long run buying a complete Max Harness will save you time and money and much grief! You have enough work ahead of you to not add the possible issues of splicing a harness just because your being cheap lol! Just sayin.

#31 ·
I can't believe that old frame didn't have any cracks. Makes me feel better about mine. Might have to check this project out sometime when I'm in the area for a beer at my favorite bar in your neighborhood.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.