Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

141 - 160 of 212 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Different strokes for different riding situations!

I had my 10” rigid bar mounted just in front of my rear view mirror. It worked great there, with one problem: the light it cast onto the hood of my car made it hard to see out past the hood of my car. I suppose if it were mounted on the roof, back from the leading edge, that glare would be eliminated.

I relocated the bar to my front bumper. I get more shadows with the lower mounting location, but no glare.

I usually ride out front or alone, so dust is usually not an issue. I like the BD headlight kits. May have to get one for the RZR

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,359 Posts
That's an old wives tale.

In the dunes NOT along wash road or sand highway there is not that much dust.

While there is some it's not like in the washes.

I use an upper old fashion LED bar. I used to have an amber upper but it wasnt that much better.

While I do like the lower lights I'm not convinced it's the only way to go.

Tim
An amber light bar up high in dusty conditions does no good. Where do you put fog lights on a car or truck? Down low so you do not blind yourself with the reflection. Same concept for dusty conditions. Granted the dunes are not nearly as bad as being in the desert or in the wash area before you get to the dunes. Still if you are in a pack of 5 cars by the 3rd or 4th care the sand is hanging up and a lightbar can cause the blinding effect, again not as bad as being in the washes or desert. The amber lights down low allow you to see better through the dust, not saying you can see for miles. It will allow you to see 20' feet in front of you instead of 2'.

If you hit silt beds then it does not matter what you have you can't see shit at night or during the day. Last summer in Baja we hit silt beds that were liking running into a cloud of baby powder. You just kept your foot in the throttle and prayed the person in front of you was not stuck or stopped. So much fun.

Reactions: Wheel43

·
Registered
231 Posts
lightbars are early 2000's technology. You want your lights low and as to not reflect the falling dust.
Egg. Zachary! That setup should be excellent for the kind of night desert/high speed driving I do.

·
Premium Member
7,094 Posts
An amber light bar up high in dusty conditions does no good. Where do you put fog lights on a car or truck? Down low so you do not blind yourself with the reflection. Same concept for dusty conditions. Granted the dunes are not nearly as bad as being in the desert or in the wash area before you get to the dunes. Still if you are in a pack of 5 cars by the 3rd or 4th care the sand is hanging up and a lightbar can cause the blinding effect, again not as bad as being in the washes or desert. The amber lights down low allow you to see better through the dust, not saying you can see for miles. It will allow you to see 20' feet in front of you instead of 2'.

If you hit silt beds then it does not matter what you have you can't see shit at night or during the day. Last summer in Baja we hit silt beds that were liking running into a cloud of baby powder. You just kept your foot in the throttle and prayed the person in front of you was not stuck or stopped. So much fun.
Desert is a different situation. The amber makes seeing you better for cars behind you but not as effective to see through the baby powder.

The PARKER pumper was designed for the silt in Parker, to see ahead in the day is impossible let alone at night. Tim

·
Registered
217 Posts
I was thinking of doing the exact same thing in an effort to avoid a monstrous lightbar...
Not trying to jack Mega's thread, but......

Here's mine in action.... close to the same set up. XL80's on A-pillars, BD headlight kit, Rigid 10" instead of the BD and a couple Squadron side shooters mounted by the rear shock rezzi's.

Night-time action shots are not the best example with Exposure settings and all,,, but this is close to reality, and should give you a pretty good idea. Basically,,, you won't be wanting for much more light.

The road drops off at the rise in the distance. (about 300 yards away) Light doesn't appear to be very bright on the right,,, but the terrain rises a bit on the left, and drops off severely on the right, hence the imbalance from right to left.

·
Registered
5,752 Posts
lightbars are early 2000's technology. You want your lights low and as to not reflect the falling dust.
If your the lead dog there is no dust. Just sayin.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
281 Posts
He doesn’t lead. He follows Tim since he is the unicorn holster.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Hey Mega,,, little off subject question.

Where do you get your metal from out here in the East Valley. I've gone to a couple small places that I found searching the inter-webs, but I didn't really care for them. (not much selection) Love the selection at IMS, (don't care for their prices) but more than anything, I'm just tired of the drive to IMS from San Tan. All the guys I know that buy metal live in the FAAAAR north end of the Valley, so their sources are no good to me. Need a good source for metal out here.

Suggestions?

·
Premium Member
8,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #153
Hey Mega,,, little off subject question.

Where do you get your metal from out here in the East Valley. I've gone to a couple small places that I found searching the inter-webs, but I didn't really care for them. (not much selection) Love the selection at IMS, (don't care for their prices) but more than anything, I'm just tired of the drive to IMS from San Tan. All the guys I know that buy metal live in the FAAAAR north end of the Valley, so their sources are no good to me. Need a good source for metal out here.

Suggestions?
I buy from IMS and Advanced Metal in North Phx. Have not found anyone decent in the East Valley.

·
Registered
349 Posts
mega - didn't you have all those lights before?

·
Premium Member
8,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #156
mega - didn't you have all those lights before?
Yes i had a 20” Rigid Adapt on bumper and before that five generic 7” LED lights plus the Rigid side shooters in the fenderwells(which i am still going to run those). I like to try different things to compare what works and how different companies compare.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Yes i had a 20” Rigid Adapt on bumper and before that five generic 7” LED lights plus the Rigid side shooters in the fenderwells(which i am still going to run those). I like to try different things to compare what works and how different companies compare.
How did you like the adapt bar? Worth the $$?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
349 Posts
keep us informed about how you like the lights. my initial thought was i wouldn't do enough night riding to put any lights on. first ride in the dark i was completely wrong. we ride arkansas, kentucky, west virginia. lots of tight woods and slow speeds, especially compared to you west coast guys. started thinking i'd just throw some cheap ones on. i have always believed in you get what you pay for. and the more i get to studying, the more i believe i need to just do it right the first time. i like the BD ONX6 on the front bumper, and xl sport cubes on the front a pillars for side views, and one or two cubes on the back. anxious to hear what the resident expert thinks.

141 - 160 of 212 Posts