Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a new 3/4 ton RAM truck in March and a new Harley Ultra Limited three weeks ago. My plans this weekend were to trailer the new bike to Eureka Springs, Arkansas and run the pig trail. I wanted to put some miles on it to get the first 1000 mile service out of the way ahead of Bikes, Blues and BBQ in September. Thursday I dropped my truck off at the dealership to get its first oil change. I asked them to look at the rear end because I could hear a faint whine when under a load. They called me a few hours later and said they needed to keep it to replace the rear end. So without a truck, I changed plans and decided to take a 300 mile trek on Saturday. I drove the bike this morning and noticed an unusual tranny clunk when I pulled the clutch in. I checked the tranny fluids when I got home and the transmission was bone dry with 450 miles on the odometer. I called the dealership who picked the bike up immediately and told me they'd most likely have to replace the transmission. S*** happens I guess. But, what are the odds?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
693 Posts
That my friend is horrible luck. Usually only happens once or twice in a lifetime though. I literally had 3 vehicles go down in two days once. Tacoma, Harley wide glide , and my trusty corolla I’d had for years. Lol. I took a cab to work for a couple days then got my bike fixed. Only sucky part was this was in November in ky not really bike weather lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
8,992 Posts
That old saying - Everything happens for a reason. Better that it happened at the dealer, and at your house than miles away. Sucks, but you're covered. Write it down as "one of those things", and go have a beer or 20, and enjoy the rest of the weekend.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Hey what year bike is it? Harley is having a big problem with fluid transfer from the transmission to the primary on the newer bikes. My 2018 Roadglide Special went 1/2 quart low in the trans and that 1/2 quart was in the primary case. It's a major, know problem. Don't let them give you any BS about it. Lots of threads on hdforums.com about it.

The transfer happened within the first 700 miles.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Hey what year bike is it? Harley is having a big problem with fluid transfer from the transmission to the primary on the newer bikes. My 2018 Roadglide Special went 1/2 quart low in the trans and that 1/2 quart was in the primary case. It's a major, know problem. Don't let them give you any BS about it. Lots of threads on hdforums.com about it.

The transfer happened within the first 700 miles.
Another good reason to run Red Line in the transmission, it makes them shift better, and last longer, plus it is reddish in color, so if it shows up in the primary there is no doubt where it came from.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The bike is a 2019. The service manager at the dealership was very apologetic. I think he could sense the concern in my voice. I half expected him to turn it around on me for some mundane service check I failed to make. But, he told me several times not to worry and they would take care of everything. Hollywood called it. I drank about 20 beers and told my wife, better now then being stranded miles from the house.

·
Premium Member
2,651 Posts
Welcome to my stalker Murphy and his fuc#ing "laws". Sorry to learn about your troubles, but I'm also hoping Murphy found somebody new to fuc#k with.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Welcome to my stalker Murphy and his fuc#ing "laws". Sorry to learn about your troubles, but I'm also hoping Murphy found somebody new to fuc#k with.

Yeah, I think I got your gremlins. I'd say that warrants at least a case of beer! I'll PM my address. :) I finally got both my truck and bike back from the dealerships. I'm hoping the Gremlins stayed at the dealerships and found someone else to F*** with!

·
Premium Member
2,651 Posts
Yeah, I think I got your gremlins. I'd say that warrants at least a case of beer! I'll PM my address. :) I finally got both my truck and bike back from the dealerships. I'm hoping the Gremlins stayed at the dealerships and found someone else to F*** with!
Hey, I'm not in charge of Murphy, but I'll share a bunch of beer with you and talk shit about the 'lil Irish terrorist.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey, I'm not in charge of Murphy, but I'll share a bunch of beer with you and talk shit about the 'lil Irish terrorist.

If ever I'm in Arizona, I'll take you up on that.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Update: So, Mikes called it. The Harley had an oil transfer issue. The tranny was low and the primary was overfilled. The dealership added a vent to the tranny and performed the 1000 mile service for free. There's more to this but it's a long story. The truck didn't fare any better. On the first visit, they replaced the axle bearings in the rear end. Then, the limited slip rear end began chattering (vibrating the truck) anytime I turned from a stop. So on the second visit, they replaced the ring and pinion gears, at least, that's what they told me. At any rate, the truck seems to be driving fine now. But, they stressed I need to keep the truck below 50 mph while towing during the first 500 miles to break it in which is what I did in the first F****** place and that didn't work out so well. So, now I'm back to hauling my 10,000 lbs toy hauler down back roads barely wide enough to handle a VW bug at 50 mph.

Attachments

·
Registered
365 Posts
If you're pulling all the time I would trade that truck off that's one of the fiat ( ram) truck's they used coil spring instead of leaf springs in the rear and they have had nothing but trouble with them when you pull often... if you like ram get one with leaf springs in the rear otherwise you will continue to have trouble with your rear end if you pull with it often

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If you're pulling all the time I would trade that truck off that's one of the fiat ( ram) truck's they used coil spring instead of leaf springs in the rear and they have had nothing but trouble with them when you pull often... if you like ram get one with leaf springs in the rear otherwise you will continue to have trouble with your rear end if you pull with it often
The truck spends most of its time in the garage unless I'm towing. The only complaint about coil springs I know of pertain to stability, not reliability. This is my third RAM diesel pulling heavy loads but it is the first time I pulled a heavy load with a bumper pull trailer (the others were goose neck). I had an issue at first with stability (swaying) until I scaled the truck and trailer and discovered I had 750 lbs of tongue weight pulling a 10,000 lbs trailer. Since I shifted the weight forward and got the tongue weight over 1,000 lbs, I haven't had any trouble. So, I'm curious why you'd think that?

·
Registered
311 Posts
Coils can have an issue with high center of gravity loads, such as a tall, heavy truck camper, but they should be on a 1 ton anyway. I had a 2015 2500 with coils and pulled a gooseneck toy hauler that was well over its ratings, at 23,160 combined, and almost 8,200 lbs on the drive axle with ZERO issues with stability or durability. I put bags on to level it out, but it did fine with the bags dialed down. I have been on the TDR and various truck forums for a long time, and there are plenty of folks running heavy on a daily basis with 2500s on coils. GMAFB

Ram buys their HD axles from AAM, which is the old GM axle division that was spun off. They should have stuck with Dana.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts