Can-Am Maverick Forum banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
602 Posts
There was a thread on the forum a while back with a twisted shaft. I don’t recall any details about the car setup or member who posted it.
Pretty sure that was a 2021 4 seater. He landed in the gas in the Dunes,,,, twisted it right up,,, just like the OP here.

Rockin must put killer torque on the drive shaft?!?!? I would think guys pounding/bouncing through the whoops, full throttle, with paddles on, would do this more than crawlers,,,, but that does not seem to be the case?.

·
Registered
2020 XDS RR, 2019 Sport 1000R
1,301 Posts
Pretty sure that was a 2021 4 seater. He landed in the gas in the Dunes,,,, twisted it right up,,, just like the OP here.

Rockin must put killer torque on the drive shaft?!?!? I would think guys pounding/bouncing through the whoops, full throttle, with paddles on, would do this more than crawlers,,,, but that does not seem to be the case?.
Getting into really uneven rocky ruts can kind of wedge the tires in sometimes. Here is sort of an example at the end of this video, accept its logs and not ruts. And an axel instead of a driveshaft.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Getting into really uneven rocky ruts can kind of wedge the tires in sometimes.
I get it,,, my brain just figured that the tire coming off the ground, the coming back down at full rip (max HP/TQ) would put more stress on the driveline than trying to turn the tire from a dead stop. (nowhere near max HP/TQ).

But,,, I guess dropping these things into Low Range multiplies the amount of "leverage" the wheels place onto the entire driveline more than max HP/TQ does in High Range.?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·

That's what I'd have thought too... The first time I was trying to climb out of a creek with a 3' wall. I bounced the rear hard to pop out of it which put all the traction to the front end and after two hard attempts I made it but twisted the shaft in the process. I felt that time was a fluke but explainable. This occasion I was on rocks with relatively small ledges and not bouncing hard but was under power so IDK...

To the guys recommending the RCV and SandCraft, that will be my next step if I manage to twist this .120 wall tube. I just have hard feelings ponying up a grand for a driveshaft.

·
Registered
2020 XDS RR, 2019 Sport 1000R
1,301 Posts
Yep climbing ledges and similar terrain can do it. If you can't gently crawl over and are losing traction, the only other option other than witching is to step on the gas. Then the car can start to bounce which is pretty much like landing a jump on the throttle. And there is so much traction on some rocks something has to give.

If you say jam both rear wheels at the same time I guess 2 axles are stronger than 1 driveshaft.

·
Premium Member
12,611 Posts
If it were purely the HP increase, we should see this happening on the RR's as the driveshafts appear to have the same part #. If I were to compare basic set ups vs parts breakage with my friends X3's, it goes something like this.
17 x3 base 64" ~2k miles stock tire size: 2 front axles, 1 rear axle, 2 belts, and body/suspension stuff from rollover.
17 X3 Base 64" with Aftermarket Assassins 40 HP tune 30" tires~ 1500 miles: 1 front axle, 2 belts, secondary clutch, engine fan, thermostat housing, upgraded body/suspension stuff from rollover.
2019 X3 XMR 64" with Aftermarket Assassins 40HP tune 32" tires ~ 1800 miles: 2 front axles, 6 belts, Front Diff -spiders wiped out, upgraded control arms - hit a rock.
MINE- 2019 X3 XMR 64" with Evo 3R and clutching 33" tires ~2300 miles: 2 drive shafts, 1 front axle, 3 belts, many upgraded parts.
Just got back around to your thread. So by the looks of it, you and your buddies tear up cars! Not a shot, just an observation from what you gave here. Also what you gave here is the fact you're the only one twisting drive shafts. You're all roughly driving similar set-ups in similar riding areas, but you're twisting drive shafts. Once again, if I were to "guess", I'll go back to what I said before. I'm "guessing" you're mashing the skinny pedal going over rocks, instead of feathering it. The tires are grabbing / torquing too quickly, weak spot is the drive shaft. And I don't know anything about driving on rocks, so once again a guess. Hope you can figure it out.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Just got back around to your thread. So by the looks of it, you and your buddies tear up cars! Not a shot, just an observation from what you gave here. Also what you gave here is the fact you're the only one twisting drive shafts. You're all roughly driving similar set-ups in similar riding areas, but you're twisting drive shafts. Once again, if I were to "guess", I'll go back to what I said before. I'm "guessing" you're mashing the skinny pedal going over rocks, instead of feathering it. The tires are grabbing / torquing too quickly, weak spot is the drive shaft. And I don't know anything about driving on rocks, so once again a guess. Hope you can figure it out.
We do, we ride hard. We're often the one's people stop to take video's of because we're hitting the obstacles they wouldn't ever consider trying. Overall, I'm not upset with the X3 at all, two years in, my repair costs are under $2k. Lets not talk about upgrades and accessories though... as totaling that up might make me cry. LOL

·
Official Site Vendor
8,383 Posts
People think I am hard on parts also. Keep on running those obstacles and pushing the limits. I keep a spare prop shaft and axles for those breakdown moments.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts