Can-Am Maverick Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is anyone else twisting drive shafts on these? This is the second one on my 2 year old machine, and it's not from landing jumps under throttle. Maybe a little on the rock bouncer side of things but the other X3's I ride with aren't twisting them.

I had my first one re-tubed with a heavier wall pipe so... Bets on the next weakest point?

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How big of tires? Maybe your just a little more " when in doubt throttle out" kind of guy LOL
First time was on the factory 30" Cryptids, This time, 33" Versa Cross V3. Both on Evo 3R tune and clutching. The throttle only has two positions doesn't it?! Going by broken axle counts, I'm probably not the throttle out guy of my group but your accusation is still fair. LOL

Here's where it happened.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'll give a "guess", but do you really need a 3R tune for what you're doing? Did you twist a shaft when stock? It could be that the tires are going from slipping / spinning to gripping in a hurry. The drive shaft can't handle that type of instant power surge. Results in a twisted shaft. Very similar to landing with the throttle on, spinning in the air, to instant torque / hook up when your tires hit the ground. Somethings got to give.
"NEED?" Certainly not, but it sure makes skimming puddles on the straights easy! I did not twist one at stock HP, but it got parts and tuning a couple/few months after buying it so it didn't have much of a chance. I'm not really jumping the thing or going overly crazy pretending it's a bouncer, so I'm just a little surprised is all. I may ride hard, fast, or both, but I refuse to believe I'm going so hard I'm the only one this is happening to. In 2,300 miles, I've broken 2 drive shafts, one axle, and 3 belts (snapped 2, and 1 was heat damage).

The reason I brought it up here is because when I do a google search on X3 twisted driveshafts, I'm not seeing this as a common problem or even much of it happening at all.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If you have their Maptuner, you can reflash to stock, and drive it a few more times. See if it happens. If it doesn't, you'll have your answer. I understand the "need for power", however just like bigger wheels / tires and other mods, it isn't necessarily a good thing. You probably should compare your ride set-up with your friends, and see if they're having the same type of issues. You can't compare driving styles, just car set-up.
If it were purely the HP increase, we should see this happening on the RR's as the driveshafts appear to have the same part #. If I were to compare basic set ups vs parts breakage with my friends X3's, it goes something like this.
17 x3 base 64" ~2k miles stock tire size: 2 front axles, 1 rear axle, 2 belts, and body/suspension stuff from rollover.
17 X3 Base 64" with Aftermarket Assassins 40 HP tune 30" tires~ 1500 miles: 1 front axle, 2 belts, secondary clutch, engine fan, thermostat housing, upgraded body/suspension stuff from rollover.
2019 X3 XMR 64" with Aftermarket Assassins 40HP tune 32" tires ~ 1800 miles: 2 front axles, 6 belts, Front Diff -spiders wiped out, upgraded control arms - hit a rock.
MINE- 2019 X3 XMR 64" with Evo 3R and clutching 33" tires ~2300 miles: 2 drive shafts, 1 front axle, 3 belts, many upgraded parts.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Pretty sure that was a 2021 4 seater. He landed in the gas in the Dunes,,,, twisted it right up,,, just like the OP here.

Rockin must put killer torque on the drive shaft?!?!? I would think guys pounding/bouncing through the whoops, full throttle, with paddles on, would do this more than crawlers,,,, but that does not seem to be the case?.
That's what I'd have thought too... The first time I was trying to climb out of a creek with a 3' wall. I bounced the rear hard to pop out of it which put all the traction to the front end and after two hard attempts I made it but twisted the shaft in the process. I felt that time was a fluke but explainable. This occasion I was on rocks with relatively small ledges and not bouncing hard but was under power so IDK...

To the guys recommending the RCV and SandCraft, that will be my next step if I manage to twist this .120 wall tube. I just have hard feelings ponying up a grand for a driveshaft.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Just got back around to your thread. So by the looks of it, you and your buddies tear up cars! Not a shot, just an observation from what you gave here. Also what you gave here is the fact you're the only one twisting drive shafts. You're all roughly driving similar set-ups in similar riding areas, but you're twisting drive shafts. Once again, if I were to "guess", I'll go back to what I said before. I'm "guessing" you're mashing the skinny pedal going over rocks, instead of feathering it. The tires are grabbing / torquing too quickly, weak spot is the drive shaft. And I don't know anything about driving on rocks, so once again a guess. Hope you can figure it out.
We do, we ride hard. We're often the one's people stop to take video's of because we're hitting the obstacles they wouldn't ever consider trying. Overall, I'm not upset with the X3 at all, two years in, my repair costs are under $2k. Lets not talk about upgrades and accessories though... as totaling that up might make me cry. LOL

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
I’m a little late to this thread, I found it searching for the name of a certain drive shaft guy in the Vegas or Saint George Utah area. A guy at the dealer told me once you get over 300 horsepower people start twisting driveshafts. And this guy makes a good shaft, but I forget the name of his company. Willow or willered or something With a W I think.
So... Are you looking for a driveshaft then?

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Well a CF prop shaft is super strong IF it is designed and built properly. I know guys running 1200 hp on their C7 corvettes and run CF shafts so we will see lol.... They are very light so driveline vibrations are near zero.
true story! I’m still of the mind (X3’s) unless you want a CV style joint, just go to any local driveline shop and have a new tube installed versus buying a new “tough” one for considerably more money from any company.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts