Can-Am Maverick Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,614 Posts
I'll give a "guess", but do you really need a 3R tune for what you're doing? Did you twist a shaft when stock? It could be that the tires are going from slipping / spinning to gripping in a hurry. The drive shaft can't handle that type of instant power surge. Results in a twisted shaft. Very similar to landing with the throttle on, spinning in the air, to instant torque / hook up when your tires hit the ground. Somethings got to give.

Reactions: DogRunner2

·
Premium Member
14,614 Posts
"NEED?" Certainly not, but it sure makes skimming puddles on the straights easy! I did not twist one at stock HP, but it got parts and tuning a couple/few months after buying it so it didn't have much of a chance. I'm not really jumping the thing or going overly crazy pretending it's a bouncer, so I'm just a little surprised is all. I may ride hard, fast, or both, but I refuse to believe I'm going so hard I'm the only one this is happening to. In 2,300 miles, I've broken 2 drive shafts, one axle, and 3 belts (snapped 2, and 1 was heat damage).

The reason I brought it up here is because when I do a google search on X3 twisted driveshafts, I'm not seeing this as a common problem or even much of it happening at all.
If you have their Maptuner, you can reflash to stock, and drive it a few more times. See if it happens. If it doesn't, you'll have your answer. I understand the "need for power", however just like bigger wheels / tires and other mods, it isn't necessarily a good thing. You probably should compare your ride set-up with your friends, and see if they're having the same type of issues. You can't compare driving styles, just car set-up.

·
Premium Member
14,614 Posts
If it were purely the HP increase, we should see this happening on the RR's as the driveshafts appear to have the same part #. If I were to compare basic set ups vs parts breakage with my friends X3's, it goes something like this.
17 x3 base 64" ~2k miles stock tire size: 2 front axles, 1 rear axle, 2 belts, and body/suspension stuff from rollover.
17 X3 Base 64" with Aftermarket Assassins 40 HP tune 30" tires~ 1500 miles: 1 front axle, 2 belts, secondary clutch, engine fan, thermostat housing, upgraded body/suspension stuff from rollover.
2019 X3 XMR 64" with Aftermarket Assassins 40HP tune 32" tires ~ 1800 miles: 2 front axles, 6 belts, Front Diff -spiders wiped out, upgraded control arms - hit a rock.
MINE- 2019 X3 XMR 64" with Evo 3R and clutching 33" tires ~2300 miles: 2 drive shafts, 1 front axle, 3 belts, many upgraded parts.
Just got back around to your thread. So by the looks of it, you and your buddies tear up cars! Not a shot, just an observation from what you gave here. Also what you gave here is the fact you're the only one twisting drive shafts. You're all roughly driving similar set-ups in similar riding areas, but you're twisting drive shafts. Once again, if I were to "guess", I'll go back to what I said before. I'm "guessing" you're mashing the skinny pedal going over rocks, instead of feathering it. The tires are grabbing / torquing too quickly, weak spot is the drive shaft. And I don't know anything about driving on rocks, so once again a guess. Hope you can figure it out.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts