Can-Am Maverick Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is anyone else twisting drive shafts on these? This is the second one on my 2 year old machine, and it's not from landing jumps under throttle. Maybe a little on the rock bouncer side of things but the other X3's I ride with aren't twisting them.

I had my first one re-tubed with a heavier wall pipe so... Bets on the next weakest point?

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How big of tires? Maybe your just a little more " when in doubt throttle out" kind of guy LOL
First time was on the factory 30" Cryptids, This time, 33" Versa Cross V3. Both on Evo 3R tune and clutching. The throttle only has two positions doesn't it?! Going by broken axle counts, I'm probably not the throttle out guy of my group but your accusation is still fair. LOL

Here's where it happened.

·
Premium Member
14,376 Posts
I'll give a "guess", but do you really need a 3R tune for what you're doing? Did you twist a shaft when stock? It could be that the tires are going from slipping / spinning to gripping in a hurry. The drive shaft can't handle that type of instant power surge. Results in a twisted shaft. Very similar to landing with the throttle on, spinning in the air, to instant torque / hook up when your tires hit the ground. Somethings got to give.

Reactions: DogRunner2

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'll give a "guess", but do you really need a 3R tune for what you're doing? Did you twist a shaft when stock? It could be that the tires are going from slipping / spinning to gripping in a hurry. The drive shaft can't handle that type of instant power surge. Results in a twisted shaft. Very similar to landing with the throttle on, spinning in the air, to instant torque / hook up when your tires hit the ground. Somethings got to give.
"NEED?" Certainly not, but it sure makes skimming puddles on the straights easy! I did not twist one at stock HP, but it got parts and tuning a couple/few months after buying it so it didn't have much of a chance. I'm not really jumping the thing or going overly crazy pretending it's a bouncer, so I'm just a little surprised is all. I may ride hard, fast, or both, but I refuse to believe I'm going so hard I'm the only one this is happening to. In 2,300 miles, I've broken 2 drive shafts, one axle, and 3 belts (snapped 2, and 1 was heat damage).

The reason I brought it up here is because when I do a google search on X3 twisted driveshafts, I'm not seeing this as a common problem or even much of it happening at all.

·
Premium Member
14,376 Posts
"NEED?" Certainly not, but it sure makes skimming puddles on the straights easy! I did not twist one at stock HP, but it got parts and tuning a couple/few months after buying it so it didn't have much of a chance. I'm not really jumping the thing or going overly crazy pretending it's a bouncer, so I'm just a little surprised is all. I may ride hard, fast, or both, but I refuse to believe I'm going so hard I'm the only one this is happening to. In 2,300 miles, I've broken 2 drive shafts, one axle, and 3 belts (snapped 2, and 1 was heat damage).

The reason I brought it up here is because when I do a google search on X3 twisted driveshafts, I'm not seeing this as a common problem or even much of it happening at all.
If you have their Maptuner, you can reflash to stock, and drive it a few more times. See if it happens. If it doesn't, you'll have your answer. I understand the "need for power", however just like bigger wheels / tires and other mods, it isn't necessarily a good thing. You probably should compare your ride set-up with your friends, and see if they're having the same type of issues. You can't compare driving styles, just car set-up.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If you have their Maptuner, you can reflash to stock, and drive it a few more times. See if it happens. If it doesn't, you'll have your answer. I understand the "need for power", however just like bigger wheels / tires and other mods, it isn't necessarily a good thing. You probably should compare your ride set-up with your friends, and see if they're having the same type of issues. You can't compare driving styles, just car set-up.
If it were purely the HP increase, we should see this happening on the RR's as the driveshafts appear to have the same part #. If I were to compare basic set ups vs parts breakage with my friends X3's, it goes something like this.
17 x3 base 64" ~2k miles stock tire size: 2 front axles, 1 rear axle, 2 belts, and body/suspension stuff from rollover.
17 X3 Base 64" with Aftermarket Assassins 40 HP tune 30" tires~ 1500 miles: 1 front axle, 2 belts, secondary clutch, engine fan, thermostat housing, upgraded body/suspension stuff from rollover.
2019 X3 XMR 64" with Aftermarket Assassins 40HP tune 32" tires ~ 1800 miles: 2 front axles, 6 belts, Front Diff -spiders wiped out, upgraded control arms - hit a rock.
MINE- 2019 X3 XMR 64" with Evo 3R and clutching 33" tires ~2300 miles: 2 drive shafts, 1 front axle, 3 belts, many upgraded parts.

·
Registered
2020 Maverick X3 Max X RS Turbo RR
515 Posts

There was a thread on the forum a while back with a twisted shaft. I don’t recall any details about the car setup or member who posted it.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts