Can-Am Maverick Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What psi is recommended for the Tusk Terrabite 8-ply radial UTV tire? I do about 50% paved road and 50% gravel fire road riding. I’m looking for the best psi for tire life on pavement.

·
Premium Member
14,140 Posts
Well, what does Tusk recommend? PSI is so subjective.

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
For our type of riding we run between 8 and 10
Rocks and desert
Highway would be more

Barbara

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, what does Tusk recommend? PSI is so subjective.
I've checked and all they say is the max psi for the tires which is 22psi. I'm going to start with 20psi back tires and 18psi fronts and work my way down. I'm concerned about running too low of psi on pavement and wearing the tires out prematurely.

·
Premium Member
14,140 Posts
I've checked and all they say is the max psi for the tires which is 22psi. I'm going to start with 20psi back tires and 18psi fronts and work my way down. I'm concerned about running too low of psi on pavement and wearing the tires out prematurely.
Yeah, I can see that. Might be a bit high with 20 / 18? But it's one of those try it and see deals.

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
Pavement will wear the tires out prematurely, period. I run about 12 psi, 99% desert trails. If you run higher inflation all you do is wear out the middle of the tire faster. For maximum wear you'll want a wider contact Patch. Fully load your car and rub sidewalk chalk on driveway in front of each tire about 2" wide. Roll the tires over the chalk at different psi to see what gives you a good amount of tire contacting the road. Now with all that tire grabbing the asphalt you can probably expect to wear out your CVs and bearings faster plus the car will be 'twitchy' driving asphalt but your tires will wear more evenly. Choose your poison because UTVs are designed to be driven off road. Don't think I've ever seen an advertisement from Polaris or can am of a UTV being driven on highways.

·
Registered
651 Posts
In my area we have lava rock so I run 15 to 17 psi and just adjust the shocks to get the ride I want. It also helps keeps the tire roll out.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
going to watch this thread because i'm going to be picking up a set of these tires once my ride gets here

·
Registered
2 Posts
I wanted to thank everyone on this post for inputs! I just got back from a trip to the Arizona Peace Trail riding from Quartzsite to Parker and I found 15psi worked perfect for me! No flats despite lots of sharp rocks everywhere! I could tell the tires were a little more ballooned and round than I would like but still, seemed to work great! 🤙

·
Administrator
3,743 Posts
I set our 10 plys at 7.5 cold and they will end up ~11 PSI warmed up in the afternoon.

·
Registered
2 Posts
To clarify: I usually run 8-10 lbs on normal so-cal or San Felipe trails and it works great for these tires. However, my more experienced friends recommended higher pressures for the Arizona trails with some big/sharp rocks… worked great, never had to use my spare!

·
Registered
589 Posts
I'm running 9lbs on single beadlocks, midwest trails with a little bit of mud and rock. No issues yet, only complaint with the terrabite is they aren't true to size.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts